Do we really need any new incomings in January?

Sparkle

18 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Mostly agree with you here. However I do think though a player with that extra spark, a real match winner could make the difference come the second half of the season. Particularly as I expect more and more teams will rock up and park the bus. 

I'd stress though I'd want whoever it was to be a clear improvement on what we have. 

Yes, but in a sense that ought to be an improving and fit Tom Lawrence ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, archied said:

Oh if only it were that simple ,we would all be managers ,no manager would ever make a poor signing or let a gem go early,

really ?? You can judge a player on one game ?

Not necessarily.

But if a player definitely has it or doesn’t have it you can tell straight away. Lowe has it.

It’s the physically competitive ones that there are question marks over.

Masey B absolutely roasts any full-back if he’s coming off the bench against them. Pretty rubbish whenever he starts. Is there a way you can get him to do it against fresh legs? 

Hanson loves a tackle and to get stuck in. Would he excel in a Kante role or does he just not have enough about him? 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Not necessarily.

But if a player definitely has it or doesn’t have it you can tell straight away. Lowe has it.

It’s the physically competitive ones that there are question marks over.

Masey B absolutely roasts any full-back if he’s coming off the bench against them. Pretty rubbish whenever he starts. Is there a way you can get him to do it against fresh legs? 

Hanson loves a tackle and to get stuck in. Would he excel in a Kante role or does he just not have enough about him? 

Sorry , have to disagree ,,, there are far too many factors at play to be able to tell straight away if a player definitely has it or not and that has been proved time and time again by the best managers ,coaches and scouts the world over ,,,,, 

for anybody at this point to claim Lowe is the best left back at the club is beyond daft , to say they feel he has the potential to become the best left back at the club is different

For me, if we get a chance to improve the quality of the squad then fair enough, but only sign top quality, as our squad at this level is very good indeed, and I believe it's good enough for promotion as it is, but that's my opinion, so for me I would not upset the squad, we need to get rid of a few, Shackell, Bent, Butterfield and Anya. And then in the summer depending of what division we are in, then add to the squad. In Gary I trust to make the right decisions anyway.

Regarding the left back spot I would keep Olsson until the end of the season then sell. We may need an experienced replacement for Forsyth before the end of the season and Olsson is decent enough. Max Lowe could go on loan until the end of the season and we can decide then whether or not he’s genuine competition to Forsyth. If not we can buy then. 

6 minutes ago, Ramekin said:

Regarding the left back spot I would keep Olsson until the end of the season then sell. We may need an experienced replacement for Forsyth before the end of the season and Olsson is decent enough. Max Lowe could go on loan until the end of the season and we can decide then whether or not he’s genuine competition to Forsyth. If not we can buy then. 

Yes very sensible keep Olsson I've watched Max Lowes last three under23s he's clearly a lad coming back from injury To tell the truth I've never really understood the hype about him Potential yes his he ready for the first team at the moment I don't think so  I was at Cardiff when he made his debut and must admit he was very good but due to injuries he's not been able to kick on Maybe a spell at Burton would do him good 

Agree with @sage about needing to buy forwards or not.

What strikes me is that people are saying we need to push on and buy 1 or 2 real 'quality' players...with that touch of magic..that can make a difference..would go straight into the team etc. Like we wouldn't always want/ask for that.

But it is fantasy. We have lots of quality Championship players. You can't buy players THAT head and shoulders better than what we have already....any player willing to come will have some weaknesses or they'd be Premier League. That's why we have Martin, Vydra, Weimann, Winnall, Bent.. they all have good things...and all have weaknesses. So you mix n match till you get it right...if you go out and buy again you will not buy the answer...just another permutation or card to play. We need to sell 4/5 and if 1 or 2 come in for the right price fine but I don't expect them to be game changers. 

39 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Agree with @sage about needing to buy forwards or not.

What strikes me is that people are saying we need to push on and buy 1 or 2 real 'quality' players...with that touch of magic..that can make a difference..would go straight into the team etc. Like we wouldn't always want/ask for that.

But it is fantasy. We have lots of quality Championship players. You can't buy players THAT head and shoulders better than what we have already....any player willing to come will have some weaknesses or they'd be Premier League. That's why we have Martin, Vydra, Weimann, Winnall, Bent.. they all have good things...and all have weaknesses. So you mix n match till you get it right...if you go out and buy again you will not buy the answer...just another permutation or card to play. We need to sell 4/5 and if 1 or 2 come in for the right price fine but I don't expect them to be game changers. 

Undervalue what you have, overrate what others have, it’s the Championship fan way, grass is always greener, more expensive the better. 

Wasn’t long ago Vydra wasn’t fit to wear the shirt and snap Wolves hands off for £2m Weimann. 

Let’s not forget we are 4th not down to ourselves but others gifting us points, not taking chances and luck.

I want more younger players - but get rid of the excess and our academy lads will get chances and I think they're more than good enough.

Get that Elsnik train back on the rails.

At the moment, I don't think we need to bring in loads of players. Gary has said he's going to tweak the team but this could be because Kieftenbeld fell through at the last minute? The time to bring in major players would be in August considering 8 players will be out of contract and Sam Winnall will be returned back to Sheffield Wednesday unless (hopefully) Gary pulls something out of his sleeve to ensure that we can get him permanently.

Archived