Do we really need any new incomings in January?

Sparkle

7 minutes ago, NoLoRam said:

Need to get rid of deadwood like Keogh Vydra Ledley and Carson.

Recall Nick Blackman and buy glenn whelan for 8m.

Agree 100%, Keogh prone to a mistake, Vydra couldn't hit a barn door, Ledley is slow and Carson is fat.

Nick Blackman is a goal machine and Glen Whelan is a midfield maestro/ogre! 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TobyWanKenobi

If anything as others have said outs are more important.

Shackell, Anya, Bent and Olsson are I imagine are the ones to be moved on if possible.

Would like to see space open up in the side for youngsters to be gven more of a chance from the bench personally, but we'll see what happens.

Potentially some competition for the spot at left back? And perhaps one more attacking midfield in the esque of Vydra, but I wouldn't spend much money on filling either spot, and stick to mainly trying to offload this window. We have a lot of strength in depth in the squad, with most positions having at least 2 good players to fill the spot. 

49 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Potentially some competition for the spot at left back? And perhaps one more attacking midfield in the esque of Vydra, but I wouldn't spend much money on filling either spot, and stick to mainly trying to offload this window. We have a lot of strength in depth in the squad, with most positions having at least 2 good players to fill the spot. 

Left back ?

We already have Forsyth, Olssen and Lowe

Do we need more ?

13 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

Left back ?

We already have Forsyth, Olssen and Lowe

Do we need more ?

Personally, I don't think Lowe is ready, and I would sell Olsson because I'm of the opinion that he isn't good enough. Of course, this is purely subjective and my opinion. I feel left back is the weakest position of our backline by quite a margin.

For me I would like a real decent quality attacking primarily but all round  midfielder in the mould of Bradley Johnson but with better passing, ball retention and creativity as I think that player would really open our options up to change shape and tactics when needed and before anybody says will Hughes ,he s  gone and I'm sure the time was right for him 

Not for me

Perfectly good enough and large enough squad to keep us in the promotion frame - plenty of quality strength in depth all over. When you have Thorne, Wisdom, Martin, Russell, Pearce and Olsen all coming off the bench there is little need to add to that.

Just a gut feeling but previous januarys' signings seem to have disrupted the momentum. Everything tells me that we have a strong team bond at the moment that shouldn't be tinkered with. Who in the current team deserve to be dropped for a new signing ? Almost goes against GR's mantra that if you have the shirt you keep it if you perform.

We have some good youngsters coming through now. Yet more signings mean there is less chance for them.

Also I am not as concerned as others about getting players out - if some go fair enough, but if they don't then at least they are further backup for injuries etc. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Personally, I don't think Lowe is ready, and I would sell Olsson because I'm of the opinion that he isn't good enough. Of course, this is purely subjective and my opinion. I feel left back is the weakest position of our backline by quite a margin.

It's very strange to me that Lowe is touted by some as the best left back at the club based on a handful of first team games and under 23 games , some need to get a grip and judge players over a proper period ,, Baird was dismissed as total rubbish on a few appearances , now you can't get him out the team and is easily amongst the top performers 

1 minute ago, archied said:

It's very strange to me that Lowe is touted by some as the best left back at the club based on a handful of first team games and under 23 games , some need to get a grip and judge players over a proper period ,, Baird was dismissed as total rubbish on a few appearances , now you can't get him out the team and is easily amongst the top performers 

Not quite sure to make of this post, are you agreeing with me that Lowe isn't ready, or saying I should give him more of a chance based off of games? To be fair, I never dismissed Baird since he was a premier league veteran who wouldn't play at the top level for so long if he wasn't good enough. 

7 minutes ago, archied said:

I watched the under23s last night and thought Lowe was very average not that any of our lads played as well as they usually do To be fair to him he is still trying to get match fit 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not quite sure to make of this post, are you agreeing with me that Lowe isn't ready, or saying I should give him more of a chance based off of games? To be fair, I never dismissed Baird since he was a premier league veteran who wouldn't play at the top level for so long if he wasn't good enough. 

No not having a pop ,am more agreeing with you in terms of Lowe is nowhere near ready for us to be condering him as our best left back and basing any buying on that ,,, he is a youngster who looks to have the promise to turn into a good player but he should be being blooded and used as cover while he develops and or makes himself undroppable by grabbing his chances when he gets them

Just now, archied said:

No not having a pop ,am more agreeing with you in terms of Lowe is nowhere near ready for us to be condering him as our best left back and basing any buying on that ,,, he is a youngster who looks to have the promise to turn into a good player but he should be being blooded and used as cover while he develops and or makes himself undroppable by grabbing his chances when he gets them

Fully agree with this. He never was as good as some hyped, which is probably because he was an academy prospect and they wanted to believe what they were claiming. I'd love it if he became our best left back, but I'm not sure we can rely on that. I also don't rate Olsson, so for me, we'd be in some trouble if Forsyth got injured, or goes through a spell of bad form, which is entirely possible. Which is my justification for saying I would try to offload Olsson, and bring in another left back. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Fully agree with this. He never was as good as some hyped, which is probably because he was an academy prospect and they wanted to believe what they were claiming. I'd love it if he became our best left back, but I'm not sure we can rely on that. I also don't rate Olsson, so for me, we'd be in some trouble if Forsyth got injured, or goes through a spell of bad form, which is entirely possible. Which is my justification for saying I would try to offload Olsson, and bring in another left back. 

I would nt argue with that, 

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

If that is the case who would you suggest we bring in?

6 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

If that is the case who would you suggest we bring in?

Not entirely sure, I wouldn't spend much money, I have no idea on championship calibre left backs, nor will I pretend to. But I'm sure there is maybe a few cheap players than may be worth taking a punt on to fit the bill, as I would imagine Olsson would be on a fair wage as it's probably one of his last contracts. But like I say, I've got no idea on the market for championship standard left backs, and there is a possibility that there is nobody out there, but I doubt it.

Recruiting is hardly black and white, it always has multiple variables. How are contract negotiations going (we have a few of those), what kind of offers we receive for our players, who will be available and what price, our financial situation etc... and those are only simple things, we know nothing about interpersonal relationships and so on which also have an influence on transfer dealings.

I know it's tempting to think such complicated thing simplistically but you should never lock your recruiting strategy.

Archived