Will Hughes Watch

Day

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Hughes should be in the England squad. He's one of the only midfielders who can pick a pass. He's as good as Jack Wilshere, only with working ankles.

Whose place would he take though? Dier Henderson, Alli, Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain and Lingard are dead certs for the midfield roles and Lallana will go if fit.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Whose place would he take though? Dier Henderson, Alli, Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain and Lingard are dead certs for the midfield roles and Lallana will go if fit.

Lingard isn't a dead cert. Oxlade Chamberlain is more of a winger. Henderson. We don't need two holding midfielders, Dier is better at winning the ball back, put Hughes and Dier in the middle and pivot the rest of the team off that. Wilshere isn't a dead cert. I read recently Southgate is losing faith with Jack because he's permanently injured and unreliable. Why would you take him to the world cup when he can barely play more than 1 game in a row??

Just now, Andicis said:

Lingard isn't a dead cert. Oxlade Chamberlain is more of a winger. Henderson. We don't need two holding midfielders, Dier is better at winning the ball back, put Hughes and Dier in the middle and pivot the rest of the team off that. Wilshere isn't a dead cert. I read recently Southgate is losing faith with Jack because he's permanently injured and unreliable. Why would you take him to the world cup when he can barely play more than 1 game in a row??

Lingard is a dead cert imo. He’s been one of Man Utd’s best players this season and started the 2 friendlies and Oxlade Chamberlain has played centre mid for Liverpool all season so I’d say he is more of a midfielder than winger these days.

If Wilshere is fit, he goes. He’s the only English player who can run with the ball from deep and has the aggression to go with it. He’s also got the experience with England and in big games which puts him ahead of Hughes. With the many midfielders we can take, it is worth taking Wilshere as if he gets injured then at least there would be back ups.

Just now, McLovin said:

Lingard is a dead cert imo. He’s been one of Man Utd’s best players this season and started the 2 friendlies and Oxlade Chamberlain has played centre mid for Liverpool all season so I’d say he is more of a midfielder than winger these days.

If Wilshere is fit, he goes. He’s the only English player who can run with the ball from deep and has the aggression to go with it. He’s also got the experience with England and in big games which puts him ahead of Hughes. With the many midfielders we can take, it is worth taking Wilshere as if he gets injured then at least there would be back ups.

But you've just made my point for me. Wilshere is the only play to run from deep, So, if he's injured we don't have anyone who can do that. Hughes is more likely to do that they any of the other players listed, same as Wilshere can do, only he's more reliable to be fit. We have more friendlies before the World Cup, Will definitely deserves a chance in those. Lingard shouldn't be considered above Alli at all. Lingard has had what, one good season? Not even a full good season, half of one. Doesn't make him a dead cert. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But you've just made my point for me. Wilshere is the only play to run from deep, So, if he's injured we don't have anyone who can do that. Hughes is more likely to do that they any of the other players listed, same as Wilshere can do, only he's more reliable to be fit. We have more friendlies before the World Cup, Will definitely deserves a chance in those. Lingard shouldn't be considered above Alli at all. Lingard has had what, one good season? Not even a full good season, half of one. Doesn't make him a dead cert. 

For me, Hughes has brilliant balance and a footballing brain but he isn’t a pure dribbler like a Wilshere because he doesn’t have a burst of speed to get away from players.

Not saying Lingard should be ahead of Alli but it he will definitely be in the squad because of his versatility. He started both friendlies so it’s fair to say Southgate likes him.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

For me, Hughes has brilliant balance and a footballing brain but he isn’t a pure dribbler like a Wilshere because he doesn’t have a burst of speed to get away from players.

Not saying Lingard should be ahead of Alli but it he will definitely be in the squad because of his versatility. He started both friendlies so it’s fair to say Southgate likes him.

Ah. I do accept your point on Lingard then. I don't think Wilshere has that burst of pace you're referring to when I've watched him, he seems very similar to Hughes in the way that they have a good first touch and read the game faster, rather than actual, physical pace. I honestly think Hughes is a much better player than Jordan Henderson.

Just now, Andicis said:

Ah. I do accept your point on Lingard then. I don't think Wilshere has that burst of pace you're referring to when I've watched him, he seems very similar to Hughes in the way that they have a good first touch and read the game faster, rather than actual, physical pace. I honestly think Hughes is a much better player than Jordan Henderson.

Henderson’s very overrated but he gets rated highly because of the heavy Liverpool media bias. He’s a donkey.

3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

As much as I'd like him to, I'd say there's zero chance he'll make the squad.

I agree. And neither will Carson.

Scott plays in the Championship and Southgate doesn't think that players in the second tier are worth considering and Will needed to move to the EPL last year or, at the very least, play more often this year.

Will will go in 2022 though. And Scott might be in with a chance too.

Give over, Hughes is ten a penny. Not even good enough for Derby.

Hendrick is a league one player at best. He'll never make it. Bang average.

Must be true. The Mexican told me.

Copyright of ronnieronaldes need to get at least one dig a week in, incidentally I've not read the whole forum but has he posted since Jose handed Pep his arse? Well has he?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anybody else watch M.o.t.d 2 and sigh when Hughesy hit that bullet of a shot in.

To hear the Watford fans chanting Hughesy, Hughesy like we used to didn’t feel good, but showed he’s truly arrived and won them over totally.

Him and Hendrick opposing each other in the Prem, oh what could have been.

11 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Did anybody else watch M.o.t.d 2 and sigh when Hughesy hit that bullet of a shot in.

To hear the Watford fans chanting Hughesy, Hughesy like we used to didn’t feel good, but showed he’s truly arrived and won them over totally.

It was such mixed emotions. At the same time, I was buzzing for Will, but I was dreaming what a midfield of Huddlestone, Mount and Hughes could have been like for us.

56 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Sorry, I didn't want to give you a negative emoji but that is genuinely how I felt but multiplied by 100. Hughesy would have been someone that FL would have built his team around. Rowett you ducking halfwit and that is being generous to you. ???

2 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Sorry, I didn't want to give you a negative emoji but that is genuinely how I felt but multiplied by 100. Hughesy would have been someone that FL would have built his team around. Rowett you ducking halfwit and that is being generous to you. ???

It was clear soon after the slithery one was appointed that Hughes was not going to have much future at the club. That was followed by his transfer at a shockingly low fee.

I am so pleased now to see  Will continuing to show how effective he can be in the Premier League and wish him all the best.

Archived