Norwich City V Derby County

peachmyster

1 hour ago, David said:

The topic questioning Rowett, asking if he was up for the job came after 5 games, not 8.

We had won 2, drew 1 and lost 2. This doesn’t include the cup win v Grimsby.

We were also 2 points from the top 6, above the likes of Villa, Sheff Wed, Fulham, Norwich.

This was no Nigel Pearson MKII, whilst the football may not have been up there with what McClaren had served up it wasn’t as dire as some made out.

To question any manager after 5 games into his first full season is laughable no matter which way you look at it. 

Not sure what was realistic about it, was clear we were heading in a different direction on the pitch, a direction which the players would have to adapt to.

For all the stick owners get for hiring and firing, fans can be just as brutal. I’ll say it again, 5 league games he was being questioned. 

Either way, onwards and upwards as you say! 

To be fair, it was more than 8 games. 5 games THIS season plus the underwhelming whimper at the end of last season if we're being accurate. 

Atfer the Bristol and Sheffield games in particular, fans should be allowed to consider whether they were enjoying what they saw. Some were vitriolic, some were measured, realistic or actually enjoyed it.

The vitriolic OTT stuff is too much but for those who offered a balanced view but didn't enjoy what they saw, they were labelled toxic and lumped in with the haters / slashers by those who 'knew' that Gary would get it right. 

There are those who are posting that they 'know' Gary will get us promoted. How? I hope he does but speculation is ok as it doesn't 'offend' anyone. But if one is to criticise the team, especially after was witnessed at Bristol etc, then accusations and mocking of being laughable etc seem to be ok.

I was first up yesterday to give Gary and the team some deserved credit. After Sheffield, Bristol and Brentford etc, I did wonder what direction and style we were going down and said so. Is that wrong?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Thought it was a fair assessment. He seems a nice enough lad. 

Fair enough review but he uses complexity instead of complextion and under the new rules it wouldn't have been a red for Carson if the ref gave a penalty. 

We are never going to be perfect. All we can ask is that the team gives its all and is united. We should also be able to see the plan even if the execution is a little awry at times.

I don’t see anything wrong in pointing out areas in which we could make improvement.

What I don’t like is when a player gets labelled ‘rubbish’ for one or two poor performances. 

49 minutes ago, David said:

Wasn’t goal line technology working yesterday? 

Surely that settles any debate before it’s even begun. 

Having watched the highlights , johnsons goal looked offside. Didn't see any penalty appeals. Quality goal from nuge. No I don't think it crossed the line when it hit the bar. 

2 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

To be fair, it was more than 8 games. 5 games THIS season plus the underwhelming whimper at the end of last season if we're being accurate. 

Atfer the Bristol and Sheffield games in particular, fans should be allowed to consider whether they were enjoying what they saw. Some were vitriolic, some were measured, realistic or actually enjoyed it.

The vitriolic OTT stuff is too much but for those who offered a balanced view but didn't enjoy what they saw, they were labelled toxic and lumped in with the haters / slashers by those who 'knew' that Gary would get it right. 

There are those who are posting that they 'know' Gary will get us promoted. How? I hope he does but speculation is ok as it doesn't 'offend' anyone. But if one is to criticise the team, especially after was witnessed at Bristol etc, then accusations and mocking of being laughable etc seem to be ok.

I was first up yesterday to give Gary and the team some deserved credit. After Sheffield, Bristol and Brentford etc, I did wonder what direction and style we were going down and said so. Is that wrong?

Its not wrong to question it, but without digging through the posts it came across that more posters 'knew' this season was a write off already and some were saying we were in for a relegation fight.

You are right no one can know if he will get us up, just as no one could know he would take us down.

Some of the posts were ridiculous on the negative side, one thread posted before the forest game 'if we lose' was just out and out negative, the OP only makes negative posts and has hardly been seen since we beat Forest, no doubt will be back if we lose to leeds.

I think those of us saying its too early were just saying exactly that, it was far too early. I actually responded to a few posters and asked if they think Jim Smith should have been sacked at the same point they were calling for rowett to go but didnt get a response, why? because they would have had to acknowledge it was far too early as i dare bet no one would put their hands up and say smith should have gone after 10 games, but his record was worse than rowetts, probably still is as didnt really kick in until about this time when we signed Igor.

Those people who said it wont work may still be proven right, and im sure there will be a lot of 'i told you so' if that happens, but if he does get us promoted cant imagine many of them saying 'ok i was talking rubbish'.

9 minutes ago, sage said:

Someone posted some highlights on this thread around 7.30pm.

Seen it on sky now, wont let me pause it as blocks the screen out, but does look off, but very close.

16 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Questioning if you're enjoying the football or not is different to questioning if the manager is up to the job though, it wasn't the most entertaining football and I doubt you would find many that would argue it was. It was clear we was going through and still are a transitional period and players were having to adapt. 

Also not sure it's fair to count last season, as they say that's old news, this is his first full season with a transfer window to build his team. Had we not seen as many changes to the side this year I could sort of see that that argument.

Even so if we go there, results wise working with what he had we didn't do too bad, P9 W5 D3 L1

Overall record now is P22 W11 D7 L4 which isn't too shabby.

So the question of is he up to the job, in a results business he seems to be doing alright. Can he get us promoted? What's this weeks lottery numbers?

Is he up to the job of entertaining, now that's still debatable. 

24 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Good post. 

Agree with it all, the last para was what I’d come to post so no need to now, took the words out my mouth.

Fantastic win for us, let’s keep it rolling. 

13 minutes ago, David said:

Questioning if you're enjoying the football or not is different to questioning if the manager is up to the job though, it wasn't the most entertaining football and I doubt you would find many that would argue it was. It was clear we was going through and still are a transitional period and players were having to adapt. 

Also not sure it's fair to count last season, as they say that's old news, this is his first full season with a transfer window to build his team. Had we not seen as many changes to the side this year I could sort of see that that argument.

Even so if we go there, results wise working with what he had we didn't do too bad, P9 W5 D3 L1

Overall record now is P22 W11 D7 L4 which isn't too shabby.

So the question of is he up to the job, in a results business he seems to be doing alright. Can he get us promoted? What's this weeks lottery numbers?

Is he up to the job of entertaining, now that's still debatable. 

I agree with your point but for accuracy I should point out that it was P9 W4 D3 L2 last season and overall it is P22 W10 D7 L5. Still not bad at all for a work in progress.

Just now, Saul Pimpson said:

I agree with your point but for accuracy I should point out that it was P9 W4 D3 L2 last season and overall it is P22 W10 D7 L5. Still not bad at all for a work in progress.

I’m on decaf coffee in fairness which isn’t quite the same

39 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Oooh far too reasoned for the Rowett fan boys and girls to accept. :thumbsup: It seems that you must be a marmite fan nowadays, all love or all hate. Some posters seem unable to acknowledge that this is a forum for an exchange of views - not tablets of stone! :lol:

38 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We are never going to be perfect. All we can ask is that the team gives its all and is united. We should also be able to see the plan even if the execution is a little awry at times.

I don’t see anything wrong in pointing out areas in which we could make improvement.

What I don’t like is when a player gets labelled ‘rubbish’ for one or two poor performances. 

Anag your spot on about fans calling a player rubbish after one or two poor performances Probably these same fans would struggle to run a bath 

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oooh far too reasoned for the Rowett fan boys and girls to accept. :thumbsup: It seems that you must be a marmite fan nowadays, all love or all hate. Some posters seem unable to acknowledge that this is a forum for an exchange of views - not tablets of stone! :lol:

Is that not what you have just done, come in calling people Rowett fan boys or girls then complaining it’s marmite now, all love or hate.

You also claim that members are not able to acknowledge this is a forum, yet isn’t debating view points exactly that?

The clashing of opinions is the result of a debate taking place. Not seen any arguing at all in this topic thus far, just a standard exchanging of views.

Archived