Norwich City V Derby County

peachmyster

Great result yesterday and performance,, and a great interview from Mr Rowett, all you who was moaning after a few games, let's get one thing straight, it takes time to build a team? And let's look at the facts, our biggest problem as a club is sacking to many managers in a short space of time, I said all along, and it will happen Gary Rowett will do a good job here, and in time take us back to the premiership, in football it's not a sprint but a marathon ,in Gary we have one of the best young managers in the game, and he is honest and wants his players to be the same, and for myself, that's all you can ask for. Can not wait to see how the season unfolds.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the game day thread 12 hours after the match was like reliving it.

Norwich are a decent side, played well, their crowd was involved...

Seriously, was that the most complete performance by a Derby side in a while?

By “complete”, I don’t mean “domination” by the way. I mean that we attacked well and consistently (someone said “intelligently” earlier; good point I thought); we defended very well (I may name my first born ‘Carson’ although there’s a chance I might offer to have his babies myself if he keeps this up ?); we ground it out when we needed to for long periods, then snatched back momentum when the opportunity arose; we hit back hard when, in the past, we might have dropped our heads after they equalised; we actually grabbed the latish winner ourselves after pressing really hard for it; and all of the substitutions looked to be well timed and all responded with exactly what GR would have been wanting when he made it. 

With the only possible caveat that Norwich may have tired late after their mid-week game, that’s as pleased with our overall performance as I have been after a match for a while.

Especially given where we are coming from.

And the subs issue is - aside from starting a campaign to make Carson’s birthday a holy day - the thing that stands out for me. Every sub did his role and looked like he wanted to fulfil his role...because that was what was necessary.

Could it be that the team of individuals is actually, finally, at long last, becoming a TEAM?

6 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

Bearing in mind he is obviously a die-hard Canaries fan, I have to agree with you that it was a pretty balanced summary.

No idea who that kid is; I assume he is a random Norwich supporter with a Vlog?

I ask only because, the longer I watched him, the more I started to think “I wish professional commentators were forced to watch this kid.”

Why? Because he is so bloody natural.

The way he doesn’t stare maniacally at the camera - his eyes do what a normal person’s eyes do when they’re thinking; they turn inwards and then turn their attention back to you - and his gestures and mannerisms aren’t robotic.

His voice isn’t montone, he doesn’t sound like he’s going through the motions.

Seems like a sensible, decent lad too. He could teach producers who want to control all aspects of on air interactions by making everything so polished and rehearsed and...antiseptic...might get some idea of what is lost from watching a kid like this.

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Not laughable, realistic.

The criticism came when we had lost 3 out of 8. Results were dire, performances worse.

We started then to improve results, and now performances are going the same way.

Onwards and upwards!

6 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Quite

The initial football under GR was pretty dire....good to see it getting back to watchable levels and that the team are beginning to gain an understanding.

Great game today and nuges goal was awesome..

Loads more to come if we continue to develop 

COYR!

The topic questioning Rowett, asking if he was up for the job came after 5 games, not 8.

We had won 2, drew 1 and lost 2. This doesn’t include the cup win v Grimsby.

We were also 2 points from the top 6, above the likes of Villa, Sheff Wed, Fulham, Norwich.

This was no Nigel Pearson MKII, whilst the football may not have been up there with what McClaren had served up it wasn’t as dire as some made out.

To question any manager after 5 games into his first full season is laughable no matter which way you look at it. 

Not sure what was realistic about it, was clear we were heading in a different direction on the pitch, a direction which the players would have to adapt to.

For all the stick owners get for hiring and firing, fans can be just as brutal. I’ll say it again, 5 league games he was being questioned. 

Either way, onwards and upwards as you say! 

Direction of travel very positive at present in terms of results and also performances/tactics look to be improving.

Still lots for Gary rowett to do. I agreed with what seemed to be a consensus that 3 windows would be needed and we shouldn't judge until next summer.

Only seen ch 5 highlights. Looks like we got a couple of breaks with the underside of bar and possible penalty but good to see quality of our finishing and also hear that we were competitive - not parking the bus as at Brentford. We've had some bad breaks in games so lady luck is evening out.

Lots of us  (me included) have been critical of Gary rowetts tactics at times. So it's great to hear how he thought how to exploit the potential fatigue in Norwich's team. Often in recent seasons, when we've thought we might have a physical edge, we've turned up and played hopelessly. Fair play to Gary for that.

Be very interesting to see what he does at Leeds. We're in form they are on a run similar to us earlier this season. In theory they are there to be beaten - so look forward to seeing what we do on Tuesday. 

Only just watched it back on the highlights.

Not sure how they can be claiming the ball went over the line when it hit the bar, clearly doesnt.

Penalty decision, a tough one, quite why carson didnt just boot it out to start with but anyway very hard to call, reckon the other way round we would be calling for it. Not sure it would have been a red like the lad in the video said as there were a couple of players back covering by then though.

Great goal by nugent. Didnt show Johnsons offside goal, Nugent seemed to be saying they thought he might be on when interviewed.

It has gone very quiet from the Rowett haters, no doubt when we next lose they will be back but its hardly looking like the relegation season that some were making out.

A few weeks ago i would have been dreading away at leeds, now i reckon we have a chance of something.

In fairness if we lose tuesday it wont be the end of the world, i think most people would have taken a couple of away draws from these two games so with 3 points we are up on that already.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Not sure how they can be claiming the ball went over the line when it hit the bar, clearly doesnt.

Wasn’t goal line technology working yesterday? 

Surely that settles any debate before it’s even begun. 

1 minute ago, David said:

Wasn’t goal line technology working yesterday? 

Surely that settles any debate before it’s even begun. 

I'd have thunk so too.

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

How good is Nuge's goal?

I keep watching it and it gets better and better.

Absolute class finish and i've not seen a better pass from a defensive position since Franz Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore retired.

Maybe not from a defensive position, but I love this one. 

32 minutes ago, David said:

The topic questioning Rowett, asking if he was up for the job came after 5 games, not 8.

We had won 2, drew 1 and lost 2. This doesn’t include the cup win v Grimsby.

We were also 2 points from the top 6, above the likes of Villa, Sheff Wed, Fulham, Norwich.

This was no Nigel Pearson MKII, whilst the football may not have been up there with what McClaren had served up it wasn’t as dire as some made out.

To question any manager after 5 games into his first full season is laughable no matter which way you look at it. 

Not sure what was realistic about it, was clear we were heading in a different direction on the pitch, a direction which the players would have to adapt to.

For all the stick owners get for hiring and firing, fans can be just as brutal. I’ll say it again, 5 league games he was being questioned. 

Either way, onwards and upwards as you say! 

starting to get the team playing to its strengths which could have been a problem, too may strikers all with a good claim to start.  What was apparent yesterday is the we dont give any time for the opposition to play it out from defence.  When the forwards get tired there is a new group of more than adequate subs to come on with fresh legs.  Ultimately Norwich had no way of coping with it.  They had lots of possession but no territory.  Forced on several occasions to play it back to the goalie then lump it forward only for us to get the ball, the sort of hopeless game we have played for many years.  as someone said earlier makes a difference in the last 10 mins if we are not camped in out own penalty box

2 minutes ago, Waffle said:

Does anybody have a video of Carson’s tackle?

Its on the Channel 5 highlights show on their website, only about 5 minutes or so in.

31 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Great goal by nugent. Didnt show Johnsons offside goal, Nugent seemed to be saying they thought he might be on when interviewed.

Johnson definitely offside. Nugent scuffed the shot into his path, shame as it was a great opportunity.  

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Johnson definitely offside. Nugent scuffed the shot into his path, shame as it was a great opportunity.  

They seemed to say so on the radio, just wondered with nuge saying it was close.

Quite refreshing for a player to admit it was his fault though, said he took his eye off the ball and was already planning his celebreation.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think he is level. I paused it on the highlights. Really tight though so you can't blame the lino. 

7 minutes ago, Waffle said:

Does anybody have a video of Carson’s tackle?

Peno for hands on his shoulder?  The tackle was good the attacker was trying to create a better angle.  If that was anywhere else on the pitch I don't think he would even appealed? Ref had great view but I must say at the time I wouldn't have been surprised at a peno just because of the stupidity of how it took place

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I think he is level. I paused it on the highlights. Really tight though so you can't blame the lino. 

Which highlights is that? Didnt show it on channel 5 i dont think?

Archived