Norwich City V Derby County

peachmyster

1 minute ago, BobbyD said:

Still struggling to understand how we can be on the run we currently are, and be in the position in the league we are , when we are "struggling to do the basics" (your words)

Doesn't make sense or logic to me but thats just my opinion.

So do you think the performances against Forest or Sheffield Wednesday were good?

Do you think results are always indicative of general play?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

For me, the very basics of football are passing and control.

Our passing and ball retention is still poor in my opinion, and I would imagine that is reflected in possession stats.

I'm a football purist like you and have a feeling that I'll never really warm to Rowett's style of football, but all the same, I think it's easy to over-step the mark when it comes to the importance of ball retention and possession - in context, of course.

Leicester won the Premier League almost wilfully giving the ball away; it's an extreme example, but if you're struggling for possession and passing when you want to control the game with the ball, then you're not doing the basics right. If you're struggling for possession and ball retention when you're trying to play faster, longer, riskier passes then it's more of a case of that happening by design rather than lack of skill or poor coaching.

Think it's a little unfair to claim we're not doing the basics right, but more than fair to question our football values under Rowett. I guess there's a debate about how much of the pretty stuff fans like us are willing to forgo in achieving success.

11 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I'm a football purist like you and have a feeling that I'll never really warm to Rowett's style of football, but all the same, I think it's easy to over-step the mark when it comes to the importance of ball retention and possession - in context, of course.

Leicester won the Premier League almost wilfully giving the ball away; it's an extreme example, but if you're struggling for possession and passing when you want to control the game with the ball, then you're not doing the basics right. If you're struggling for possession and ball retention when you're trying to play faster, longer, riskier passes then it's more of a case of that happening by design rather than lack of skill or poor coaching.

Think it's a little unfair to claim we're not doing the basics right, but more than fair to question our football values under Rowett. I guess there's a debate about how much of the pretty stuff fans like us are willing to forgo in achieving success.

I said in another post that I'm happy for a more direct approach as long as it comes with excitement attached. With the attacking options we have, I actually think that will come. In Vydra and Lawrence I think we have 2 players who can get you out of your seat.

On the whole I understand and agree with your post, the Sheffield Wednesday match there was no excuse for though, just very sloppy play.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I said in another post that I'm happy for a more direct approach as long as it comes with excitement attached. With the attacking options we have, I actually think that will come. In Vydra and Lawrence I think we have 2 players who can get you out of your seat.

On the whole I understand and agree with your post, the Sheffield Wednesday match there was no excuse for though, just very sloppy play.

Terrible  conditions and we won easy 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I will give up, I'm fighting a losing battle.

I'll show you the highlights of the QPR at Wembley match and I'm sure you will think they were the much better team on the day.

No I was there and we were the better team but there is no analogy to be found between that game other than the 10 men scenario .

PS Was it really bad gusty conditions that day as well lol. 

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

No I was there and we were the better team but there is no analogy to be found between that game other than the 10 men scenario .

PS Was it really bad gusty conditions that day as well lol. 

Nope QPR must have passed it better and kept possession better because they beat us 1-0, I saw it on the highlights.

The basics of football is to put the ball in the opponents net more times in the 90+ minutes than they to ours. We seem to have that basic right at the moment. 

There seems to be at least a partial consensus that we're playing bad football. If we keep playing bad football all season but still grind out the results then I'll take that any day. Passing and possession are both just stats that have been given more meaning in the modern era of punditry 

28 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

The basics of football is to put the ball in the opponents net more times in the 90+ minutes than they to ours. We seem to have that basic right at the moment. 

There seems to be at least a partial consensus that we're playing bad football. If we keep playing bad football all season but still grind out the results then I'll take that any day. Passing and possession are both just stats that have been given more meaning in the modern era of punditry 

Appreciate that but it has to be more than that.....we can't do another Billy Davis special whereupon we play percentage football just be be kicked in the nads by every team in the premiership...

We seem to be slowly developing into more than that and although it's football that I don't really like yet,it's hopefully going to carry on improving up to the point that it looks all joined up....

Nowhere near the fluency of Macs 2014 team though,which is what we will need to prosper.

The Brentford performance was the scary one. The lowest percentage possession rate in history. Scrapping, hoofing and zero attempt to play.

performances have slowly improved since then. 

V norwich we came forward at every opportunity. We need to find fifth and sixth players to join the attack. We are not getting a great deal from the expected sources especially fozzy, but incredibly keogh is emerging as the 5th man.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

The Brentford performance was the scary one. The lowest percentage possession rate in history. Scrapping, hoofing and zero attempt to play.

performances have slowly improved since then. 

V norwich we came forward at every opportunity. We need to find fifth and sixth players to join the attack. We are not getting a great deal from the expected sources especially fozzy, but incredibly keogh is emerging as the 5th man.

All good points - we haven't really played a "Brentford"-like team who zip the passes around in midfield since them - I wonder how we would do now if we were playing such a team?

Archived