Questions you'd ask Rowett

RoyMac5

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you knew money was as tight as it apparently is, looking back on our activity this summer would you still have spent £2m and 2 years of wages on Tom Huddlestone when it was apparent to many people that he wasn't a good fit for the type of midfield you were looking to create? Also, when he first started training with us you said he was "even better than we thought he was going to be" - do you stand by this comment now?

Why can the team play well for 20 minutes at the start of most matches but spent the next 70 looking like we've been reduced to 9 men? Are they that physically unfit? Did they cheat on their summer fitness plans?

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

They have just torn up your invite to the next cosy meet masquerading as a fans forum. God forbid anyone asks a direct question.

Conspiracy theorist!!!

I got invited and I'm not part of any cosy club, so what are you saying? :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

If you knew money was as tight as it apparently is, looking back on our activity this summer would you still have spent £2m and 2 years of wages on Tom Huddlestone when it was apparent to many people that he wasn't a good fit for the type of midfield you were looking to create?

We don't actually know that yet - I'd speculate he's yet to be partnered properly in the midfield 2 with the kind of player Rowett wants to play next to him... I suspect he was part 1 of an as yet incomplete 2 part jigsaw :)

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

... I'd speculate he's yet to be partnered properly in the midfield 2 with the kind of player Rowett wants to play next to him... I suspect he was part 1 of an as yet incomplete 2 part jigsaw :)

I see, we can't play 'one way' for a top Championship striker (Martin), but we can play one way for Huddlestone? Oops that's my second question! :D

Gary you said this when you joined Derby

"There is a lot of work to get back to the Premier League, we have a lot of talented players and need to find the right balance for this division. I think I have an angle on what is required."

Can you tell me which talented players you were talking about? And how long will it take you to find this balance?

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

We don't actually know that yet - I'd speculate he's yet to be partnered properly in the midfield 2 with the kind of player Rowett wants to play next to him... I suspect he was part 1 of an as yet incomplete 2 part jigsaw :)

I actually think the plan originally was to play him as part of a three. We hadn't played 433 before he came in during preseason before Huddlestone came and then switched to it completely when he did. However as we all know that plan was scrapped (without trying Bryson I might add).

Personally I wouldn't plan to play Huddlestone in a two, it puts too much emphasis on the partner being able to cover a hell of a lot of ground. Even had kieftenbeld signed I still think the midfield two would look disjointed. 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Were you there? Because Woods ran the game for them and Johnson was nowhere near him most of the time - I suspect they took him off because he'd never had so much freedom in his entire career and was shattered from having so much of the ball :)

In more seriousness - I think they took him off and stuck on another striker to play a more direct style - I actually thought they didn't look as good after they took him off and we started to look a little more comfortable - But the more direct style worked for them in the end

Is it true that Dean Smith thinks your a tactical genius and copied our 'style' to grab an undeserved point in the last game?

28 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

If that was his response then I'd question whether he had his priorities in order.

We've signed a non-priority luxury player before making sure we got the essentials in, and even before Huddlestone was linked there was Whelan, another player who would have taken up a large wage but struggled with the same demands.

I know it's 'from the outside' but it looks like we've put the cart before the horse and we all know what the result of doing that is.

Archived