Dear Uncle Mel (v2.0)

Mostyn6

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2017 at 15:15, The Key Club King said:

This.

Mel's problem is he has appointed the wrong CEO and managers. 

Gave your post a like,but would just point out that Mel didn't appoint SR,he was inherited from the previous regime.

On 9/27/2017 at 15:29, Moist One said:

huh? What on earth are you jibbering on about? I am not impatient, but I expect to be either competitive or at least entertaining. You clearly know nothing about me, so don't try and second-guess my reasoning or motivations. If you did, you'd know that I actually do not want to be promoted and become nobodies in the unwelcoming greed-pit that is the PL. I would rather watch enjoyable football and have something worth paying to see. A couple of seasons ago, matchdays were something to be excited about. That has been ruined.

As for hounding out Mel, I've met the man, and he has very thick skin. I doubt I could hurt him with a baseball bat, let alone a few criticisms! So put your handbag away and chill out. I am entitled to my opinion, if you don't like it, that's your problem. That said, you're welcome to yours, and I hope you post more frequently.

1981/82, 1982/83, 1983/84, 1984/85, 1990/91, 1992/93, 1994/95, 1999/2000, 2000/01, 2001/02, 2002/03, 2003/04, 2005/06, 2007/08, 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2016/17.

Since I was young I'd say that most of these seasons were either, and often both, uncompetitive or not particularly entertaining. Several seasons of disappointment leave me with hope rather than expectation. 

On 9/27/2017 at 11:32, Ninos said:

Dislike this post.

Apart from not getting near enough for Hughes and the Bryson Keith deadline issue, our current dealings in terms of getting a lot for a little have been excellent.

When we had Rush we overpaid by a ton for mediocre players who've dragged us back. And they were put on long contracts too. So many, a lot of whom barely played. Rowett has been savvy in the market. Who else could have got rid of Butterfield even temporarily, and on top of it get a striker out of it. Give me a break on Sam Rush. 

Yes, lets just ignore the fact that our midfield is screwed up and we can't do anything until January. Not to mention we have not replaced skilful players with ones of similar skill - no wonder we're struggling.

3 hours ago, DRBee said:

Yes, lets just ignore the fact that our midfield is screwed up and we can't do anything until January. Not to mention we have not replaced skilful players with ones of similar skill - no wonder we're struggling.

I don't suppose the club could have stopped Ince leaving, but GR made a mistake when he promised that a replacement of equal quality (can't remember exact wording) would be forthcoming. 

14 minutes ago, europia said:

I don't suppose the club could have stopped Ince leaving, but GR made a mistake when he promised that a replacement of equal quality (can't remember exact wording) would be forthcoming. 

He has the tendancy to let his mouth start running away with him,it's like he's been on the pop and can't stop talking.

Needs some sort of filter fitting or for his wife to be present during interviews and giving him sharp kicks to the shin when he gets out of hand and starts going too far (or his mum!)

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just wondering what makes a good ceo of a football club and how the way they operate is any different to the way Mel is running the club currently? 

Examples please if available and I assume Google will not be required for this exercise.

I reckon that Karren Brady is a good CEO for a football club.  Not a bad looking bird too.

4 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

1981/82, 1982/83, 1983/84, 1984/85, 1990/91, 1992/93, 1994/95, 1999/2000, 2000/01, 2001/02, 2002/03, 2003/04, 2005/06, 2007/08, 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2016/17.

Since I was young I'd say that most of these seasons were either, and often both, uncompetitive or not particularly entertaining. Several seasons of disappointment leave me with hope rather than expectation. 

Some of them early 80's seasons were dire. Made worse by forest doing well.

In fact if some people had sat through some of that tripe they wouldn't complain now.

It's good but the letters, for me, says a lot without saying anything at all. It assumes things that , I might be wrong, I can't see anyone would really know. We don't know if things would be better or worse without Mel and his role.

I think it's a bit unfair to attack Rowett's style as I think at the moment he's having to make do and mend.  He cant come out say somethings about his players. The seasons only 9 games in but already people know are going to have a really bad season. Its a long shot but will all the people come out and say anything if we do finish in the playoffs?  

41 minutes ago, Tricky1884 said:

I think it's a bit unfair to attack Rowett's style as I think at the moment he's having to make do and mend.  He cant come out say somethings about his players. The seasons only 9 games in but already people know are going to have a really bad season. Its a long shot but will all the people come out and say anything if we do finish in the playoffs?  

THIS season is only 9 games, plus preseason and Cup games, in. You can't ignore the end of last season either which was a free hit - he didn't even bother batting! If we finish in the play-offs it'll be because we get a positive minded manager in.

35 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

THIS season is only 9 games, plus preseason and Cup games, in. You can't ignore the end of last season either which was a free hit - he didn't even bother batting! If we finish in the play-offs it'll be because we get a positive minded manager in.

Before Mel we had one good season which only started when Steve mcclaren came. We were no where before that. Steve, a very good coach, got the best out of a settled  good but mid table team and added a couple of good loans from the prem ( Thorne amazing that year). It was a bit of luck with a few factors coming together all at once. The old owners didn't have a master plan or anything and Steve didn't sign his squad that year.  Mel needs luck, Rowett needs luck it's the way of the world.  Sometimes you are lucky sometimes you are really not. Jim Smith of course didnt need luck he had Igor.  Shall we write a letter to Luck calling him a s**** because we haven't seen he for a bit?

11 hours ago, europia said:

I don't suppose the club could have stopped Ince leaving, but GR made a mistake when he promised that a replacement of equal quality (can't remember exact wording) would be forthcoming

Except of course that the inconvenient truth for many on here is that he actually did no such thing.

12 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Except of course that the inconvenient truth for many on here is that he actually did no such thing.

"If a team meets that valuation then we will consider selling any of our players. We have some fantastic players and the deals have to be right for any of those players.

It is not just other teams looking at our best players, we are looking at other teams' best players as well.

He added: "Should Tom leave, we would be looking at a very, very high quality replacement.

"Hopefully it won't happen and hopefully he will be our player."

Archived