Dear Uncle Mel (v2.0)

Mostyn6

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

That's the one. Now if you can show me where it promises anything I'd be very grateful.

Oh, do you mean because Rowett says "Should Tom leave, we would be looking at a very, very high quality replacement" that we were just looking!? Got ya. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh, do you mean because Rowett says "Should Tom leave, we would be looking at a very, very high quality replacement" that we were just looking!? Got ya. 

Looking at = Trying to buy, most likely. Obviously that didn't work out for whatever reason.

I'm just pointing out that many on here continually choose to mis-interpret what was said in order to use it as a stick to beat GR & Mel.

Just now, Wolfie said:

Looking at = Trying to buy, most likely. Obviously that didn't work out for whatever reason.

I'm just pointing out that many on here continually choose to mis-interpret what was said in order to use it as a stick to beat GR & Mel.

Because he wanted us to believe it was going to happen if he had to sell Ince - it was said to placate the fans. That's a typical Rowett line now, 'well I wanted to buy so-and-so but it was just such a difficult transfer window'! How come the teams buying off us didn't have such difficulties?

If he couldn't deliver he shouldn't have promised.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because he wanted us to believe it was going to happen if he had to sell Ince - it was said to placate the fans. That's a typical Rowett line now, 'well I wanted to buy so-and-so but it was just such a difficult transfer window'! How come the teams buying off us didn't have such difficulties?

That's my point. He didn't.

9 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

My recollection was that he spoke of a couple of high quality replacements. since he was referring to loss of both Ince and Hughes.

Why do you think it is we have trouble keeping possession this season?

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

My recollection was that he spoke of a couple of high quality replacements. since he was referring to loss of both Ince and Hughes.

Why do you think it is we have trouble keeping possession this season?

Don't misunderstand me. I didn't want Hughes or Ince to be sold & especially not for the money we got for them. Of course I also wanted to see them replaced with players at least as good & fitted whatever system we wanted to play.

I'm not here to defend the Club & transfer policy. It just annoys me that people deliberately or otherwise mis-interpret what is said and claim it as fact.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because they were buying from a position of strength: Promise of Premier League football.

Oh yeah, how did that work out for you, Will?

15 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Or just choose to try and take Rowett at his word.

At this rate we will need a Rowett translation book for those who value straightforward comment to try and understand what he actually on about. No wonder the team are confused about tactics!

Anyway my initial (mis) understanding of statement about replacements for Ince reminds me of this.

Just now, Wolfie said:

Because they were buying from a position of strength: Promise of Premier League football.

Oh yeah, how did that work out for you, Will?

Surely we were also signing players with a promise of *future* Premier League football by Gary 'Top 2' Rowett?

49 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"If a team meets that valuation then we will consider selling any of our players. We have some fantastic players and the deals have to be right for any of those players.

It is not just other teams looking at our best players, we are looking at other teams' best players as well.

He added: "Should Tom leave, we would be looking at a very, very high quality replacement.

"Hopefully it won't happen and hopefully he will be our player."

47 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Screenshot_20170929-095155.png

39 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

That's the one. Now if you can show me where it promises anything I'd be very grateful.

I think that Rowett's high quality replacement of Ince is Lawrence. He said that he would look at other teams best players, which Lawrence was at Ipswich.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If Rowett is going to play semantics rather than football that would explain our appalling lack of style. Do you really believe Rowett said it but didn't mean it.

I'm not going to go round in circles again on this. Well maybe once more & hopefully it'll sink in.

He said we would "look at" bringing in very high quality replacements.

You're the one playing semantics and reading it as a promise. I'm sure that Rowett did mean what he said. But what he said isn't what you claim he said.

Over & Out.

54 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

So that just reinforces the view that everything that comes out of the club is pony.. Did we look for a very very high calibre replacement?

Words and double meanings. Rowett knew exactly what he was intermating when he said that. This club is a pile of poo off the field.

49 minutes ago, rynny said:

I think that Rowett's high quality replacement of Ince is Lawrence. He said that he would look at other teams best players, which Lawrence was at Ipswich.

I actually agree with you on Lawrence re high quality replacement for Ince. 

It is the second part of Rowett's statement (not your 's rynny) that grinds my gears re 'other teams best players'. I do, however, disagree with you saying 'which Lawrence was at Ipswich' - that is, to my mind anyway, just stretching the point too far, he was a Leicester player.

When he came in it was Rowett who made it clear that he would be in charge of transfers, he didn't need to say that but he did (and fair play for him being big enough to do so). After the event we get comments of 'it was a tough window' 'it was difficult to value players'. Derby is not some nursery for apprentice managers to learn their trade before moving on into the real world, we need to be operating on a professional basis 'it was tougher then I expected' just won't cut it.

Last week he was quoted as saying 'January will be a big window for us' - given his way with words that probably means he is having Safestyle UK round at home.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I'm not going to go round in circles again on this. Well maybe once more & hopefully it'll sink in.

He said we would "look at" bringing in very high quality replacements.

Actually it was 'very, very high quality replacements'. That's very, very and plural, replacements. But it's no matter cos it wasn't a promise. :lol: #trustinGary

On 9/27/2017 at 09:01, Moist One said:

Dear Uncle Mel,

I thought it was time to follow up my previous open letter, where I requested you go and chill on a beach somewhere and allow professionals to run the club on your behalf. In that letter, I suggested keeping the faith in the then CEO Sam Rush, as he had been pivotal in the recent rise in quality, excitement, league position, media coverage and ambition. Since that letter, things have changed! Sam has been relieved of his duties in somewhat ambiguous circumstances, against an accusation of what surmises as "spending the club's money trying to improve the club"... Hmmm.

Now I can only speak for myself, but I would suspect a few fellow Rams fans will agree with some, if not all of my feelings, and inevitably, there will be those that give you benefit of the doubt due to your local connections and clear emotional attachment to the club.

IN February last year, I was fortunate enough to be invited, along with fellow forum members, to Moor Farm, where I enjoyed a (sausage and bacon free) breakfast in your company, in the aftermath of Paul Clement's departure. In this meeting, you were at pains to ensure us that the decision was justified on the philosophies and ethos of the club alone. Whilst it seemed harsh to sack Paul Clement, some of the reasoning was clear.

That meeting, I believe, was around Valentine's day last year, a mere 19 months ago. Since then, Darren Wassall, Nigel Pearson, Chris Powell, Steve McClaren and Gary Rowett have sat at the manager's desk. The disappointment of being deprived of processed pig products at that romantic breakfast does not influence my opinion in any way whatsoever. I know you're not responsible for the procurement of butchered foodstuffs. However, I have the opinion that you have really really really ballsed up the footballing operations side of Derby County, and sadly, repairing it will not be as easy as sending someone to the nearest supermarket for a pack of Walls bangers!

My criticism is not a personal attack, well mainly it isn't. Simply because it's apparent to me that your decision making has been fuelled, and clouded by emotional attachment. Your ownership style reminds me of a character in a Hollywood movie who refuses to listen when told "don't do anything stupid", but then ignores that advice, and does something stupid, making the situation worse. It's clear your intentions are well meaning, but sadly, my opinion is your methods and decision making are counter-intuitive to the situation at hand.

I do have a personal criticism, which may be unfounded, but is borne out of the way people defend you, and your poor handling of the club, and that is simply that spending money on the club, does not give you carte-blanche to destroy it. Now you may not believe you have the right to destroy it, but when defending you, fans often cite your investment as justification for you doing whatever you like. If I am being honest, I never wanted money thrown at the club, I prefer to see managers and coaches making the best of the squad they have. I said that when we had worse owners, and yes Mel, there are plenty of worse owners of the club than yourself. You are a good owner, just not a good "manager" of the club. If it meant you not subsidising the club, and the managers sticking to budgets and being allowed to see the job out, I'd be happy for you to burn your chequebook and never authorise another record-signing.

So, where are we right now? In footballing terms, we are in a mess. We have an intelligent manager, who lacks a style, identity or plan. We have an imbalanced squad, containing some with mental scars and limited ability. We have a semi-poisonous fanbase, clashing over players, managers, yourself and how we should be performing. We have opponents improving and looking professional and motivated, whilst not struggling to outplay us. Most worryingly, we have a need for something to change, drastically, and quickly!

The easy solution is always to change the manager, and it would be hard for me to defend the performance of Gary Rowett as manager. But he's only been here a short while, he needs to be given a chance, but surely we should be seeing signs of improvement, shouldn't we? Or it doesn't justify the removal of the previous manager!

The actual solution in my opinion Uncle Mel, is for you to absolve yourself of all responsibility, even if it means you spitting your dummy and refusing to invest money. We can handle that as a club. You need to employ professional people, not those with emotional attachment to the club, and allow them to make the decisions. I believe now, that you Mel, you are the problem. Regardless of intent, you've set this club back, and not just a little bit, but set this club back massively. I hoped I'd never have to endure another spell of stagnation, like we did under the careful management of Nigel Clough, as I want to be entertained. But it now seems we will need to go through that again to avoid a complete disaster.

It doesn't seem too far-fetched to say we are only a couple of rash decision (by you) from imploding and collapsing into a relegation-battling team.

So, please, back away and stop meddling and allow the club to breathe. 

sincerely

Concerned supporter

First of all Uncle Mel was my saying. 

If I could unlike this post I would do it a million times. 

What gives you the right to be so sanctimonious 

Archived