Dear Uncle Mel (v2.0)

Mostyn6

1 minute ago, sage said:

I can't believe the OP views Rush as being sacked for 'making decisions for the good of the club when he has been directly accused of doing the opposite. Making decisions which go against the club's benefit

the wording was specific as there are no specifics as to what these things were. What exactly were the decisions which go against the club's benefit? Signing players with extendable contracts appeared to be the specific, after Bent took the 1 year option. Right, so a 100-PL goal-scoring ex-England international off the back of a relatively successful loan spell was signed! This was ambition, and had it been successful, along with any other signing, would it be against the club's benefit? NO. The cynic in me thinks Rush and Mel had opposing views regarding McClaren, and a method was found to remove one of them cheaply.

5 minutes ago, sage said:

Things haven't suddenly unravelled since Rush left. We are paying the price for what Rush did.

I'm not sure I've suggested this. What did Rush do again? Back the manager? But didn't everything go through Mel? Pretty sure Mel took all the credit when these players signed. It was Mel holding the football in the photoshoots, not Rush. What did Rush do again?

7 minutes ago, sage said:

I am amused by the arrogance of suggesting we are in a mess because Mel didn't step back and leave it to Rush and Mel didn't step back like the OP told him to

very cute Sage. Again, your inability to read properly assists in your trying to twist my words. We are not in a mess because he didn't listen to me, we were already in a mess, and continue to be in a mess. It's not arrogant, it's an opinion. No more arrogant than your arrogance in your opinion of me, which is an arrogant opinion about my level of arrogance, I mean..er.. opinion. You're confused as to what I am saying to be fair, you've never managed to get past my user name and digest what's actually being said. but  hey-ho.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

Rush is easily as much to blame as Mel in our recent demise 

I cannot argue with this, but will say that trigger-happiness is perhaps tipping it more towards Mel. Rush's dealings were perhaps mitigated by demands of a new manager, which wouldn't be necessary if someone stopped firing managers!

12 minutes ago, sage said:

going back to working with reduced circumstances was how NC had to manage

I remember a geezer doing well with those reduced circumstances. McClaren was never backed by Mel.

13 minutes ago, sage said:

we could easily go bust if Mel didnt invest

this would suggest poor ownership then. What if Mel became ill, like that Southampton owner years back,  or the Gretna owner? and the support was withdrawn? what would happen then? It's irresponsible IMO. Putting the club's future in jeopardy.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, sage said:

The real problem was not Mel refusing to leave matters to a football expert, he left matters to the wrong 'football expert.

This.

Mel's problem is he has appointed the wrong CEO and managers. He gave them a healthy budget and relative autonomy and they got it wrong. The hardest job for an owner is to appoint the right manager as the few that are proven successes are unaffordable and the rest don't have that much experience. The average length of managerial tenure in the country bears this out.

As Ramblur points out somebody somewhere has to pay to run this football club as even GSE were running significant yearly losses even after they got the wage bill below £10m.

Bearing in mind how dull it was under Clough/GSE (and that was whilst running at a deficit) we need a sugar daddy to make us competitive. We have one, he's local, loves the club, has been successful elsewhere, and is prepared to put in the money to give us the budget to compete with most clubs in the division. 

The OP and his ilk may lead us down the previous paths of the disgraceful hounding of Lionel Pickering and Nigel Doughty down the road. Good men who end up getting dog's abuse for doing their best in a very difficult and competitive environment, where - and this is crucial - NOT ALL TEAMS CAN WIN THE LEAGUE OR GET PROMOTED EVERY YEAR.

Put your dummy back in and show some patience.

45 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I remember a geezer doing well with those reduced circumstances. McClaren was never backed by Mel.

Apart from the likes of Thorne,Christie,Shotton, Albentosa,Nugent,McAllister,and a big hike in the wage bill.

this would suggest poor ownership then. What if Mel became ill, like that Southampton owner years back,  or the Gretna owner? and the support was withdrawn? what would happen then? It's irresponsible IMO. Putting the club's future in jeopardy.

What would you like him to do? Run a wage bill of £5m to be sustainable? That'd go down well.

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

Apart from the likes of Thorne,Christie,Shotton, Albentosa,Nugent,McAllister,and a big hike in the wage bill

er.. I was referring to the specific comment that I wouldn't want us to go back as that would mean struggling and being boring like when Clough was here, McClaren did well with the same team that Clough left behind.

3 minutes ago, ramblur said:

What would you like him to do? Run a wage bill of £5m to be sustainable? That'd go down well.

What I would like him to do is use the business brain that made him so successful in his chosen field, and not be so emotively reactive. If that means not spending money, so be it. The money being wasted by this club is, in my opinion, dominated by a high proportion of costs generated by change in management.

8 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

The OP and his ilk may lead us down the previous paths of the disgraceful hounding of Lionel Pickering and Nigel Doughty down the road. Good men who end up getting dog's abuse for doing their best in a very difficult and competitive environment, where - and this is crucial - NOT ALL TEAMS CAN WIN THE LEAGUE OR GET PROMOTED EVERY YEAR.

Put your dummy back in and show some patience.

huh? What on earth are you jibbering on about? I am not impatient, but I expect to be either competitive or at least entertaining. You clearly know nothing about me, so don't try and second-guess my reasoning or motivations. If you did, you'd know that I actually do not want to be promoted and become nobodies in the unwelcoming greed-pit that is the PL. I would rather watch enjoyable football and have something worth paying to see. A couple of seasons ago, matchdays were something to be excited about. That has been ruined.

As for hounding out Mel, I've met the man, and he has very thick skin. I doubt I could hurt him with a baseball bat, let alone a few criticisms! So put your handbag away and chill out. I am entitled to my opinion, if you don't like it, that's your problem. That said, you're welcome to yours, and I hope you post more frequently.

4 minutes ago, Moist One said:

er.. I was referring to the specific comment that I wouldn't want us to go back as that would mean struggling and being boring like when Clough was here, McClaren did well with the same team that Clough left behind.

What I would like him to do is use the business brain that made him so successful in his chosen field, and not be so emotively reactive. If that means not spending money, so be it. The money being wasted by this club is, in my opinion, dominated by a high proportion of costs generated by change in management.

er. I was referring to your comment 'McClaren was never backed by Mel',suggesting it was in some way similar to Clough's circumstances -well it wasn't as (a) he was allowed to run a much higher wage bill than Clough,and(b) the signings I mentioned probably equated to Clough's entire net spend. The cash deficit on operations in 14/15 was £7m,one of the years in which you say Mac wasn't backed -how irresponsible.

Mac didn't do well with the same team left behind,as there were several additions,including 2 high profile loans,no doubt aided by a significant hike in the wage bill.

With regards to 'not spending money,so be it', that would result in austerity years far deeper than those suffered under Clough,because even then significant cash deficits had to be funded.If Mel stops putting money in,there can be no cash deficits,as there's nothing to finance them.From memory,these deficits were running at around £4m towards the end of Clough's reign,so try taking that figure away from his modest annual transfer fee/wages budget.

But hes not just putting money in is he,he,s trying to run the team.

Admittedly a shrewd business man but out of his realm when it comes to forming a winning football team.

I just wish he would stop playing with his "train set"(remember the amigos abomination) and get somebody in who knows football

who can adapt and motivate,who is not one dimensional and doesnt play the blame individuals game.As you can tell i agree with

Moist wholeheartedly.

11 hours ago, ramma said:

Anyone but him

I'll do it. I'll take out a massive loan to buy the club and then make the club responsible for paying off that loan. In the mean time I will up the price of season and matchday tickets to pay the players wages and all of the bills and other overheads. I might even invite SISU to become partners so they can share the burden. I expect your backing from start to bankruptcy @ramma.

10 hours ago, ossieram said:

I'll do it. I'll take out a massive loan to buy the club and then make the club responsible for paying off that loan. In the mean time I will up the price of season and matchday tickets to pay the players wages and all of the bills and other overheads. I might even invite SISU to become partners so they can share the burden. I expect your backing from start to bankruptcy @ramma.

You are Malcolm Glazer! (and I claim my five pounds)

Archived