Dear Uncle Mel (v2.0)

Mostyn6

3 hours ago, curtains said:

Maybe. 

If I was Mel I'd carry on supporting and backing the club as he has done so far very well IMO

He has wiped out approximately  8 Million debt or more year on year and we as fans should be happy about that. 

The animosity towards MM is unjustified.

Animosity is unjustified, but I would say he isn't exempt from criticism. 

The merry go round of managers hasn't helped his case. Sacking a very young and promising manager in Clement for 'philosophical' reasons then hiring the antithesis of that philosophy in Pearson in the summer. Finally starting to look a semi-decent team again under McClaren mk.II and still sacking him in the summer for a manager who again, goes against said philosophy is what I would call another questionable decision.

Investing in the club is something we should be grateful for but I'm still confused why he's willing to financially back managers yet not willing to back them in terms of time. I wish he'd use patience to solve some of the issues this side has, rather than hurling money at problems in the hope they're going to go away.

That said, we're lucky to have a wealthy chairman who cares about the club. Hopefully he'll learn from his past blunders because in the grand scheme of things, he's relatively new to the football game. Back Rowett financially, be patient with him and hopefully next season we'll be in a significantly better position to challenge for things.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

To be honest I did guess that but the post was condescending IMO and wound me up. I guess The Moist One was equally condesending in some replies as well. If I have read it wrong then I would apologise.

Best regards,

Angry Ram.

Ex Football Chairman, CEO of the Bank of England.

Still boss in my own house (I think). Degree in football tactics and strategy, oh and Ex professional footballer.

Nearly forgot to mention my Level 5 UEFA coaching badge.. 

No no - It was definitely condescending - And I think he meant it to be - I have just assumed he's a merchant banker...

55 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

No no - It was definitely condescending - And I think he meant it to be - I have just assumed he's a merchant banker...

4 hours ago, Dethorn said:

For the record I am in a financial based career with a smattering of business law knowledge.

Debt collector/bailiff.

1 hour ago, lrm14 said:

The merry go round of managers hasn't helped his case. Sacking a very young and promising manager in Clement for 'philosophical' reasons then hiring the antithesis of that philosophy in Pearson in the summer. Finally starting to look a semi-decent team again under McClaren mk.II and still sacking him in the summer for a manager who again, goes against said philosophy is what I would call another questionable decision.

Investing in the club is something we should be grateful for but I'm still confused why he's willing to financially back managers yet not willing to back them in terms of time. I wish he'd use patience to solve some of the issues this side has, rather than hurling money at problems in the hope they're going to go away.

That said, we're lucky to have a wealthy chairman who cares about the club. Hopefully he'll learn from his past blunders because in the grand scheme of things, he's relatively new to the football game. Back Rowett financially, be patient with him and hopefully next season we'll be in a significantly better position to challenge for things.

I don't think he has hurled money at it. 

I think he's been fairly pragmatic to be honest. 

6 hours ago, ramblur said:

You can 'surmise' all you like,but from what I remember the accusation was an alleged serious breach of fiduciary duty. I can distinctly remember Mel saying that it was almost inevitable that the matter would end up in the courts,and that we'd all eventually get to learn of the facts.As none of us knows what the issue/s were,I suggest we all sit back and await the outcome, rather than invent something to suit an agenda.

And that is a white collar bitchslap.

1 hour ago, curtains said:

I don't think he has hurled money at it. 

I think he's been fairly pragmatic to be honest. 

According the transfermarkt from the 15/16 season to this season we have spent around 62 million euros which converts to around £55 million. Keep in mind this is in the championship too, without the most recent TV deal. If that isn't hurling money at a problem I don't know what is.

53 minutes ago, sage said:

He has spent right up to the very limit of FFP.

I would say that is hurling money at it. 

As it happens,in terms of cash backing,he'll have done more than this.In 14/15,when I seem to recall the FFP limit was £6m,from memory we posted a result of something like £5.4m (can't verify it,as it was a figure given by the club,as opposed to being shown in the accounts,but I know it was something very like that),but that was the first year of the exceptional gains(income ,if you like) of £3m on the PP loan settlement.Now,although this was a 'gain' in the books,there wasn't an inflow of any cash because of it,so in pure cash terms it was as though an FFP result of £8.4m had been posted,£2.4m over.

If you look at the following year,the exceptional gain of £12m turned what would have been an FFP loss of £21m into one of £9m,but it's the £21m that would have been financed,for the same reason as before,i.e. £8m over the threshold for that year (£13m) 

On 27/09/2017 at 16:29, Moist One said:

I didn't refer to you or quote you when i said the club was already unravelling under Rush. Another poster suggested that in this thread.

This may come as a blow, but it's not all about you. 

22 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

According the transfermarkt from the 15/16 season to this season we have spent around 62 million euros which converts to around £55 million. Keep in mind this is in the championship too, without the most recent TV deal. If that isn't hurling money at a problem I don't know what is.

Less Hendrick,Hughes,Ince,Martin (loan fee) + some lower profile outgoings,but they all add up.

35 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

How much have we got back in though. 

34 Million for Ince .Hendrick , Hughes and Christie for starters. 

In 15/16,Mel financed the following:- Cash deficit on operations £24.657m, Capital payments on infrastructure £5.815m,Net instalments on players' regs. £12.259m a total of £42.731m  (I've ignored £8k of interest received).

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

How much have we got back in though. 

34 Million for Ince .Hendrick , Hughes and Christie for starters. 

Forgot about Christie,so well remembered.

4 hours ago, lrm14 said:

Whole heartily agree but their weren't many on here wanting Pc to stay at the time as i remember and rumours if having lost the dressing room,having found a particular bedroom? and performances dispite results never having been convincing.

On 29/09/2017 at 13:40, Dethorn said:

I would like to know your experience, to question your intelligence would be crass, because as far as I can guess you are not in the legal profession or a financial one. (Based laregly on your comments surrounding Mr Rush's departure)

I would like to hope that in order for you to be offering advice to Mr Morris you are at least a  management/business consultant or have at least one business of your own that has proved to very very successful.

If none of these I would question your audacity at posting any of this.

For the record I am in a financial based career with a smattering of business law knowledge.

are you for real? So let me get this straight, only Actors can talk about films, only Chefs can talk about food, only footballers can talk about football, only fashion designers can talk about Clothes, only musicians can talk about music? Absolute b*******. I have no entitlement, but as a lifelong paying supporter of Derby County, I am qualified to voice an opinion. shame you cannot read properly, you'd see that I mention Mel being a successful business man, but i believe he is running this club emotively and not professionally.

3 minutes ago, Moist One said:

are you for real? So let me get this straight, only Actors can talk about films, only Chefs can talk about food, only footballers can talk about football, only fashion designers can talk about Clothes, only musicians can talk about music? Absolute b*******. I have no entitlement, but as a lifelong paying supporter of Derby County, I am qualified to voice an opinion. shame you cannot read properly, you'd see that I mention Mel being a successful business man, but i believe he is running this club emotively and not professionally.

Calm down , calm down

Have a bit of respect lad. 

This gentleman enjoys a financial based career with a smattering of business law knowledge.

you'd have to doff your cap in the old days.

19 hours ago, ramblur said:

In 15/16,Mel financed the following:- Cash deficit on operations £24.657m, Capital payments on infrastructure £5.815m,Net instalments on players' regs. £12.259m a total of £42.731m  (I've ignored £8k of interest received).

Kinell

thats not sustainable even for Mel.

19 hours ago, ramblur said:

Has some of that come back from the sales of Hendrick Hughes and Ince?

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

Has some of that come back from the sales of Hendrick Hughes and Ince?

Maybe a little,but you've got to remember that we've signed quite a few,starting with Vydra/Anya. That deficit on operations includes the big hike in admin expenses,and I don't know how much of this carries through into future years (although my recent thread suggests at least £2m won't).Operations deficit will also fall in line with reducing wages; 'out of contract' situations will make it easier to achieve reductions next year.

It's unlikely that the large infrastructure spend will be repeated,although there'll always likely be some bits and bobs.

Very difficult to predict net transfer instalments.The accounts indicate amounts due in future years,but the problem is we don't know the additional instalments (in and out) within these years.

If you meant 'has some of that come back' to Mel,then far from it as he's still pumping money in to cover cash deficits.

Archived