Johnny Russell

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expected johnny to start today. I was surprised he made no changes but johnny offers more than wiemann in that position so I felt that one in particular would have happened. Seems to be improving each game too with a nice goal in the cup.

To not be in the 18, not be Injured and not playing last night makes me be very confident of what the reason could possibly be.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

I expected johnny to start today. I was surprised he made no changes but johnny offers more than wiemann in that position so I felt that one in particular would have happened. Seems to be improving each game too with a nice goal in the cup.

To not be in the 18, not be Injured and not playing last night makes me be very confident of what the reason could possibly be.

And that would be?

7 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Because I don't think he's good enough, hope that's enough for you mate. Don't think it's saying much that he has more assists / goals than Weimann or Anya. Lawrence has been here 10 minutes and already has 2 assists. I would sell Russell, Weimann and Anya in Jan and sign a decent winger. 

According to whoscored.com Russell has played 419 minutes in the Championship this season, he has two assists (the same website says he has 1 but I'm going to count Sunderland which that website presumably hasn't). That's an assist every 209.5 minutes by my maths, which is roughly 1 in 2. He also has the goal in the cup.

I appreciate he isn't perfect by any means, but I have noticed a few digs here and there in your posts towards Russell so I just wanted to understand why you felt such digs were necessary. We can't just sell everybody, football unfortunately doesn't work like that, if it did then it wouldn't have mattered that previous managers had frittered away cash like it was going out of fashion.

My suggestion would be to try and accept that Russell is either our first or maybe second best winger and as such not advocate selling him so enthusiastically.

39 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What does Weimann or Lawrence do that Russell doesn't. 

Lawrence takes a decent corner. 

Always just down to one or two players.

You know Davies is living on his name alone. Huddlestone is completely useless (that's not even exaggeration) unless the ball is within a meter of him. Johnson can't pass at all. He isn't even bullying anyone. Weimann is back on the gazelle impression, Vydra doesn't even touch the midfield part of his role, Lawrence promises the world and delivers an out of date sandwich, Martin has forgot he's allowed to strike the ball, Nugent looks a bit confused, Olsson might as well not bother pretending to block a cross and there's the good old tactic of sit really deep and launch a surprise attack. 

A surprise isn't a surprise when it's every 1 minute.

But if Keogh and Russell were better... we still wouldn't get promoted. 

Still loads to do. Not just Russell. Loads of them including Rowett who needs a to introduce a bit of control to our game. We're totally reactive 

Lawrence looks a good player - skilful, direct and physical 

Davies was our man of the match - best performance for us since signing. Great game for us today

Huddlestone was just fine - no dissenting voices at all when he was signed and has done well for us. 

Johnson's worldly pass (which may well have won us the match) to set up Bennett's one on one was fantastic

Vydra's recent goal scoring record earned his starting place. Not heard anyone argue with that.

Martin hasn't started in the league for us in a while, can't expect him to adapt to a new system very different from his previous role overnight. Still showed brilliant awareness and touches . 

Nugent as ever worked very hard and continually put the Blue's back 5 under pressure

Olsson has done really well for us since coming in and is showing a real desire to keep the shirt

Keogh was fantastic and had yet another brilliant home performance

Please lets try and be positive , patient and realistic . 

Just now, BobbyD said:

Davies was our man of the match - best performance for us since signing. Great game for us today

Huddlestone was just fine - no dissenting voices at all when he was signed and has done well for us. 

Johnson's worldly pass (which may well have won us the match) to set up Bennett's one on one was fantastic

Vydra's recent goal scoring record earned his starting place. Not heard anyone argue with that.

Martin hasn't started in the league for us in a while, can't expect him to adapt to a new system very different from his previous role overnight. Still showed brilliant awareness and touches . 

Nugent as ever worked very hard and continually put the Blue's back 5 under pressure

Olsson has done really well for us since coming in and is showing a real desire to keep the shirt

The players aren't the problem,I maintain we have real class in our side.

6 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Why can’t we hypothesise his reasons for being dropped on here? Isn’t that what football forums are for?

I thought football forums were to discuss the club, games, players, transfers that kind of thing?

25 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

I'm not talking about just today. 

My point is several players have weakness that are there for all to see. Yet people talk like it's just one or two players holding us back. 

I don't really rate Lawrence tbh. I've seen him for other teams in the past and this is what you get. 

Johnson is a poor passer. That's simply true.

I didn't want Huddlestone. 

Big fan of Martin and Nugent.

Agree on Vydra.

Davies has had a dodgy start.

But like I said, my point was more to illustrate that others are doing things wrong when fans want to point the finger at Russell constantly. It's a team game. 

Archived