Johnny Russell

MackworthRamIsGod

54 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Lawrence particularly looks 10x the player Russell is, from what I've seen so far in the two home games I'd actually stick my neck out and say he's an upgrade on Ince. Russell has struggled with his end product for a while.. he's had his run this year, Bennett came in today and made an impact(he's not just signed a new 3 year deal from no reason). Now he'll have to wait for an opportunity like anyone else. I get the impression he'll go in January along with Martin, Shackell and Anya.

You’re joking, right?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Well his contract is up in the summer but it wasn't extended this week like it was for Pearce and co. Maybe that was the issue that kept him out of the squad today. But we lacked a winger on the left today... And quite a lot else of course. 

That must have kept Thorne out of the side with Forsyth as well and a fairwell for Baird in his last year! 

I see Russell wins another thread and it was his fault we didn't win yesterday and just imagine if it was him going through on goal instead of Bennett - what if ( on anything) 

i noticed yesterday Huddlestone had the ball at his feet and looked up and on two or three occasions to smash it out wide right and there was no one there ( something we have seen several times when Russell has received the ball and running into the box and us either scoring or missing) 

is Russell better than wieman? All day long 

wieman is like a Gary teale in that he runs up and down and never touches the ball constructivly but in his whole Derby career he will have maybe a two or three week window when something positive happens 

25 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Wiemann is like a Gary teale in that he runs up and down and never touches the ball constructivly but in his whole Derby career he will have maybe a two or three week window when something positive happens 

I'd rather have Gary Teale! Weimann is a sign of the sort of player Rowett will favour, effort over end product.

We are so short of midfield options that we can't really afford to exclude russell

it would be a worrying sign if GR fell out with someone normally as bubbly as russell

He has been poor but played well v barnsley

Even though Weimann and johnson have produced stinkers, we seem to have very limited options to change personnel or formation.

1 hour ago, clarkeram7 said:

I just don't think he's played well enough - but that's my opinion.

To add to that: I think in the last few years we've obviously really underachieved, he's part of the 'old guard' which simply aren't good enough to win promotion. Rowett promised a different looking Derby.. he's had 4/4 1/2 years with us - time for an upgrade ? he might just need a fresh start. I wouldn't lose any sleep if he left.  

The old guard would have won the league but for injuries.

It's everything we've signed since that's been s***.

10 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Seriously?? The reasons behind the dropping of Russell is not up for discussion on an independent DCFC forum?

Where have I said it's not up for discussion, show me where this bee in your bonnet is as I'm lost.

Here’s what Rowett said about Russell in the after-match press conference.

Q) No Johnny Russell today?

A) No.

Q) Is he injured?

A) No.

Q) Any reason?

A) Not one that I am going to give, no. Just my decision to leave him out of the 18.

Q) Will he (Russell) be considered for selection for the squad on Tuesday?

A) I am not sure at this moment, but possibly.

Rowett, talking on Radio Derby, said: “Johnny was left out for different reasons. I won’t go into those reasons now. He was fit and available.”

All a bit mealy mouthed. If you want to say JRs been a naughty boy why not say so. All the hinting just leads to in-necessary speculation.

Why not just say he wasn't picked and leave it at that?

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I see Russell wins another thread and it was his fault we didn't win yesterday and just imagine if it was him going through on goal instead of Bennett - what if ( on anything) 

i noticed yesterday Huddlestone had the ball at his feet and looked up and on two or three occasions to smash it out wide right and there was no one there ( something we have seen several times when Russell has received the ball and running into the box and us either scoring or missing) 

is Russell better than wieman? All day long 

wieman is like a Gary teale in that he runs up and down and never touches the ball constructivly but in his whole Derby career he will have maybe a two or three week window when something positive happens 

Russell collects the ball outwide and runs straight into a defender! 

51 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'd rather have Gary Teale! Weimann is a sign of the sort of player Rowett will favour, effort over end product.

But Russell has no end product? Weimann has had some great games this season... yes he was poor yesterday but the fact is JR has been poor and stayed in the team and given chances why shouldn't Weimann get more chances? 

3 minutes ago, Topram said:

Weimann has had some great games this season... yes he was poor yesterday but the fact is JR has been poor and stayed in the team and given chances why shouldn't Weimann get more chances? 

I've forgotten Weimann's end product, please tell me.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've forgotten Weimann's end product, please tell me.

I can say in all honesty that I don't even believe that Weimann is a footballer. I believe him to be a good athlete; I imagine that back at school in Austria some years back, he was told to line up with the rest of the athletes but stupidly got int he football line...where he has stayed ever since. He can run fast, but he is no footballer. He has no football cortex but he can run down the line, thinking as he does so, "why have they put some nets on the finish line frame and what is this ball doing on the running field". :mellow:

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

I can say in all honesty that I don't even believe that Weimann is a footballer. I believe him to be a good athlete; I imagine that back at school in Austria some years back, he was told to line up with the rest of the athletes but stupidly got int he football line...where he has stayed ever since. He can run fast, but he is no footballer. He has no football cortex but he can run down the line, thinking as he does so, "why have they put some nets on the finish line frame and what is this ball doing on the running field". :mellow:

Lol. And to think we had sorted a transfer to Wolves for £2m for him - why wasn't that deal made watertight and not dependent on them still wanting him! :angry:

Weimann reminds me of Luke Varney, runs around alot but nothing really happens, has the occasional game where his workrate catches the eye but virtually non existent as an attacking threat game after game, too lightweight for away games especially. Worse than Dawkins and Ward as was Camara so we may as well have kept them really.

2 hours ago, Topram said:

Russell collects the ball outwide and runs straight into a defender! 

But Russell has no end product? Weimann has had some great games this season... yes he was poor yesterday but the fact is JR has been poor and stayed in the team and given chances why shouldn't Weimann get more chances? 

I would love to agree with you but I simply can't and wieman has had a heck of a lot of chances to produce positive stuff for Derby but he simply hasn't 

11 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Has anyone even considered that JR may have rejected a new contract offer during the Pearce/Bennett/Guy/Bird renewals?

If he wants to leave then it's quite right to leave him out.

That could quite easily be the case and the same goes for Thorne and Forsyth and if we didn't want to offer them new contracts or they didn't want to sign new contracts then they have to be sold in January- would we be better off without them I really don't think so and I would consider it very sad.

2 hours ago, David said:

Where have I said it's not up for discussion, show me where this bee in your bonnet is as I'm lost.

Where did I say you personally??? Some mod deleted a post, not mine, ended up a poster saying he’d PM people, don’t bang on about bees and bonnets, just a load of Mods scared of Mel by the looks of it.

23 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Where did I say you personally??? Some mod deleted a post, not mine, ended up a poster saying he’d PM people, don’t bang on about bees and bonnets, just a load of Mods scared of Mel by the looks of it.

So basically you are upset by a post which was removed that you didn't even see and just assumed it's because the mods were scared of Mel?

Right. Bee in bonnet then.

A Johnny Russell thread was started, it contained a rumour that claimed Rowett was the source of the information. Like it or not there is not just forum rules but laws, laws which we have to respect. Libel, slander, defamation, take your pick, contact your lawyer and ask him.

You want to discuss why you think Russell was dropped? Go for it, we're on page 8 already, but we can't allow "rumours" quoting managers being the source that can't be verified on the board, especially those which can be seen as damaging a player/managers reputation. 

Unless we're all happy to switch from usernames, put our full names out, contact details and that, you up for that?

For what it's worth I contacted the member to let him know, actually understood why. 

Panic over, Rowett and JR have kissed and made up after a breakdown in communication. It all revolves around the arrival of Joe Ledley. JR tried to set fire to Ledleys impressive facial hair in a serious fit of beard envy at an over zealous initiation ceremony. Rowett got wind of this and hauled JR into his office, telling him that he wasn't gonna get anymore matches, ie Swan Vestas. JR completely misread this dressing down and stormed out thinking his Rams playing days were over.

Disclaimer: If you believe that then you're thicker than Ledleys facial fuzz.

Archived