Johnny Russell

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well his contract is up in the summer but it wasn't extended this week like it was for Pearce and co. Maybe that was the issue that kept him out of the squad today. But we lacked a winger on the left today... And quite a lot else of course. 

I imagine teams will look at him having two assists and a goal in limited minutes this season and be very interested in bringing him in.

Meanwhile we will continue to watch Andreas Weimann chase the ball around like a puppy, reacting to everything that happens on the pitch a second or two too late. 

What does Weimann or Lawrence do that Russell doesn't. 

Lawrence takes a decent corner. 

Always just down to one or two players.

You know Davies is living on his name alone. Huddlestone is completely useless (that's not even exaggeration) unless the ball is within a meter of him. Johnson can't pass at all. He isn't even bullying anyone. Weimann is back on the gazelle impression, Vydra doesn't even touch the midfield part of his role, Lawrence promises the world and delivers an out of date sandwich, Martin has forgot he's allowed to strike the ball, Nugent looks a bit confused, Olsson might as well not bother pretending to block a cross and there's the good old tactic of sit really deep and launch a surprise attack. 

A surprise isn't a surprise when it's every 1 minute.

But if Keogh and Russell were better... we still wouldn't get promoted. 

Still loads to do. Not just Russell. Loads of them including Rowett who needs a to introduce a bit of control to our game. We're totally reactive 

2 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Lets hope so. 

Please could you explain, I appreciate it may be difficult to use actual reasoning so don't worry if you can't, why you believe he should be sold when he has produced more goals / assists than any other of our wide players?

Thanks in advance.

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What does Weimann or Lawrence do that Russell doesn't. 

Lawrence takes a decent corner. 

Always just down to one or two players.

You know Davies is living on his name alone. Huddlestone is completely useless (that's not even exaggeration) unless the ball is within a meter of him. Johnson can't pass at all. He isn't even bullying anyone. Weimann is back on the gazelle impression, Vydra doesn't even touch the midfield part of his role, Lawrence promises the world and delivers an out of date sandwich, Martin has forgot he's allowed to strike the ball, Nugent looks a bit confused, Olsson might as well not bother pretending to block a cross and there's the good old tactic of sit really deep and launch a surprise attack. 

A surprise isn't a surprise when it's every 1 minute.

But if Keogh and Russell were better... we still wouldn't get promoted. 

Still loads to do. Not just Russell. Loads of them including Rowett who needs a to introduce a bit of control to our game. We're totally reactive 

If you can't spot the differences between Lawrence and Weimann one has to wonder what you are actually seeing. Lawrence is far from perfect but he does try to do things , can pass to his teammates and takes a good corner.

Russell has been poor but played well in the central role v barnsley and scored.

weimann was poor today.

when wide he kept knocking the ball back to the defenders. It was like playing butterfield up front.

he also seemed to have been instructed to keep going infield alongside nugent. That meant we had no option to go wide, and it upset the nugent / vydra dynamic.

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Please could you explain, I appreciate it may be difficult to use actual reasoning so don't worry if you can't, why you believe he should be sold when he has produced more goals / assists than any other of our wide players?

Thanks in advance.

May I try on his behalf. The reason I would sell Johnny is as follows. (1) he is one of the squad who would actually demand a transfer fee. ,2) fell out with management so get Rid (3) one good game in five is s**** 

2 minutes ago, Doodle said:

May I try on his behalf. The reason I would sell Johnny is as follows. (1) he is one of the squad who would actually demand a transfer fee. ,2) fell out with management so get Rid (3) one good game in five is s**** 

1) Out of contract in the summer so negligible fee.

2) Potentially / probably true but unsubstantiated as yet, if he has fallen out due to lack of playing time I'd argue his concerns are fair

3) 1/5 is an improvement on 0/5, although as I have mentioned his numbers are better than all our other wingers with less minutes 

10 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Thanks in advance.

Because I don't think he's good enough, hope that's enough for you mate. Don't think it's saying much that he has more assists / goals than Weimann or Anya. Lawrence has been here 10 minutes and already has 2 assists. I would sell Russell, Weimann and Anya in Jan and sign a decent winger. 

Archived