Johnny Russell

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

The OP said something about loads to do for GR. I think I was suggesting there was loads more to do because of GR.

Ah! Got ya.

I hope he does get time though. I'd rather have a team built by him for him than a team built by him for someone else who then half builds a team for the next bloke.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ah! Got ya.

I hope he does get time though. I'd rather have a team built by him for him than a team built by him for someone else who then half builds a team for the next bloke.

What manager (bar Clough) ever gets to do that (short term)? Unless you can shift players in and out in large numbers in one go? Don't think he's shown anything more than average, why stick with him long term?

52 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The players aren't the problem,I maintain we have real class in our side.

I agree that we do have class but I think we have an awkward mesh of players at the moment, it doesn't quite feel like a team. I'd love to have some stability and get that team ethos that we had under Nigel Clough, a closely knit group who possessed tremendous team spirit. That's what we seem to be really lacking today and it's understandable considering the amount we've brought in.

Looking at Birmingham's squad, they seem to be in a similar position too. They have a good amount of quality players but most have just been brought in so they're hardly a team.

18 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ah! Got ya.

But that might mean that in two blokes time we..........

I'm lost, but at least we didn't.

Russell has been our most productive winger this season in terms of goals and assists.

If this dropping from the squad is about him making a point about this then I've got to say I'm on Russell's side. He's been great for only £700/750k especially compared to the winners we've bought in.

11 hours ago, Topram said:

Yes Weimann was poor today but all of a sudden bring Russell back who has been poor for seasons? 

You do know the season before last he contributed 18 goals and assists right? He had a bad season last season granted but so did the whole team. You’re a prime example of the OTT Derby fans that are creating the toxic atmosphere around the club. 

Lawrence particularly looks 10x the player Russell is, from what I've seen so far in the two home games I'd actually stick my neck out and say he's an upgrade on Ince. Russell has struggled with his end product for a while.. he's had his run this year, Bennett came in today and made an impact(he's not just signed a new 3 year deal from no reason). Now he'll have to wait for an opportunity like anyone else. I get the impression he'll go in January along with Martin, Shackell and Anya.

11 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Lawrence particularly looks 10x the player Russell is, from what I've seen so far in the two home games I'd actually stick my neck out and say he's an upgrade on Ince. Russell has struggled with his end product for a while.. he's had his run this year, Bennett came in today and made an impact(he's not just signed a new 3 year deal from no reason). Now he'll have to wait for an opportunity like anyone else. I get the impression he'll go in January along with Martin, Shackell and Anya.

Hvhx4i6Vq4vDO.gif

I slated Russell last season but i thought he certainly started this season better than he finished last. Wasnt back to his best, the Russell that kept an on loan lingard out of the side but certainly better than last season. 

If i was the manager id probably always start Russell but thats not a compliment. I just think Bennett & Wiemann are rubbish & Johnny is the best of a bad bunch.

Always thought if we were wanting to be any good as a side Russell would be 3rd choice winger with two better players ahead 

23 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Lawrence particularly looks 10x the player Russell is, from what I've seen so far in the two home games I'd actually stick my neck out and say he's an upgrade on Ince. Russell has struggled with his end product for a while.. he's had his run this year, Bennett came in today and made an impact(he's not just signed a new 3 year deal from no reason)...

I'll have what you're on! If Bennett becomes half the player that Russell is we'll be lucky. As for Lawrence (costing upto x10 times JR) being as good as Ince, time will tell but he's a long way to go.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'll have what you're on! If Bennett becomes half the player that Russell is we'll be lucky. As for Lawrence (costing upto x10 times JR) being as good as Ince, time will tell but he's a long way to go.

My point is just - Russell has had an opportunity this season and not really delivered. Bennett's just signed a long term contract, they have to give him an chance. Today he came on and set up the goal, no one can argue that Bennett has now earned his place in the squad for at least the next game. I've always been a fan of Russell but he has to wait for his opportunity now - if he doesn't like that then he's going to go. He's a sellable asset, we could fetch a couple of million of someone and he won't be missed. I just don't think he's adding much to the squad atm, when him and Weimann play it's like having two Dirk Kuyts - they both work extremely hard but there isn't enough quality. Lawrence gives us a better balance and it's nice to have someone on the pitch who can deliver a ball into the box form a set piece as well. We've not that for year ?

1 minute ago, clarkeram7 said:

My point is just - Russell has had an opportunity this season and not really delivered. Bennett's just signed a long term contract, they have to give him an chance. Today he came on and set up the goal, no one can argue that Bennett has now earned his place in the squad for at least the next game.

Russell has set up goals this season and scored. But you argue he hasn't earnt his right?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Russell has set up goals this season and scored. But you argue he hasn't earnt his right?

I just don't think he's played well enough - but that's my opinion.

To add to that: I think in the last few years we've obviously really underachieved, he's part of the 'old guard' which simply aren't good enough to win promotion. Rowett promised a different looking Derby.. he's had 4/4 1/2 years with us - time for an upgrade ? he might just need a fresh start. I wouldn't lose any sleep if he left.  

Archived