What if McClaren had never been sacked ?

RiddingsRam

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/09/2017 at 16:10, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Overlooked for jobs?

England manager,Newcastle and derby not good enough for you?

As for Clough,he's a good lower division manager but better at buying players than utilising them.

Clement?....dragged the previous seasons exciting  football down to tedium week in and week out.

Overlooked since he got sacked for the 2nd time by us!! Not his previous, if he was THAT good he'd be back in work by now rather than some obscure role in Israel 

On 23/09/2017 at 02:12, Ninos said:

And when he managed England and Newcastle he took a Ferrari and a Lamborghini and turned them into Robin Reliants. Dudes a joke.

People go to football matches for different reasons, some good to watch football, some for win at all costs and some just for the banter and day out.

If all you managed to take from Mac's time at Derby is 'dudes a joke' I actually pity you.

Mac1 was sacked despite a very healthy win ratio for Derby of 53.7%

mac2 still achieved 44.8% including a run of 7 straight wins not long after nigel pearson was sacked

For him it was probably a mistake to come back the seond time.

Compares to

neil warnock at cardiff 44.7%

gary rowett at derby 42.1%

gary rowett at brum 39.6%

steve bruce at villa 41.7%

nigel clough at derby 33.5%

paul clement at derby 42.4%

1 hour ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Overlooked since he got sacked for the 2nd time by us!! Not his previous, if he was THAT good he'd be back in work by now rather than some obscure role in Israel 

There's lots of good managers out of work, Curbishley never got back after moving on from Charlton. It doesn't mean they're not good managers, it means its a tough employment market. Sad that you feel it necessary to diss Mac and all the good football he got us playing. Don't see why that's necessary. Just need to be right?!

Mac 1, happy days and we have never really understood the reasons behind the sacking. My gut tells me MM was pissing on his turf and marking his territory. Mac would not commit to the extent that Morris wanted. I had that down to Mac's honesty really, why should he commit any further than he did. As with all these things, we will never know the truth.  A mistake was made by Morris.

Mac 2. Was never happy with this, not so much that it was Mac but it was just desperation from the club again and the whole, let's turn the clock back' and everything will be okay ethos at the time. Again a mistake was made by Morris.

If we'd never heard of him we'd be a premier league team already.

Did he get us promoted ? No. Did he win any key match? No. Did we win a trophy? No. 

90% of championship managers - given a midfield of healthy Thorne, Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick - would have the team playing entertaining football and probably winning the league at a canter. They were that good together. Mcclaren failed, and he failed over and over at reaching stated objectives, his own objectives. Smart managers out coached him easily often gloating about it afterwards. He was given England in their golden years and not only did he not win the Euros he couldn't even qualify! No one could get Newcastle relegated like he did. It was staggering.

I enjoyed watching the football that's true but I didn't enjoy the catastrophic tactical naïveté and incompetence of the manager. None of us did. Don't settle for mediocrity disguised as something better.

We are better off taking our chances on someone whos wily and actually has a sensible plan - GR.

7 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Mac 1, happy days and we have never really understood the reasons behind the sacking. My gut tells me MM was pissing on his turf and marking his territory. Mac would not commit to the extent that Morris wanted. I had that down to Mac's honesty really, why should he commit any further than he did. As with all these things, we will never know the truth.  A mistake was made by Morris.

Mac 2. Was never happy with this, not so much that it was Mac but it was just desperation from the club again and the whole, let's turn the clock back' and everything will be okay ethos at the time. Again a mistake was made by Morris.

I think bringing back Mac was a great idea but I suspect that on mels mind,it was only a stop gap until he could get rowett in.

When he went I was massively disappointed partly because I had been hoping that ninos might have switched his "support" to Birmingham if Mac had stayed long term ....life can be so unfair

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

We are better off taking our chances on someone whos wily and actually has a sensible plan - GR.

Interesting to see that Owen Bradley agrees with your anti-Mac rant Ninos. That doesn't surprise me one little bit. I expect him and GR are much more pally.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Did he get us promoted ? No. Did he win any key match? No. Did we win a trophy? No. 

90% of championship managers - given a midfield of healthy Thorne, Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick - would have the team playing entertaining football and probably winning the league at a canter. They were that good together. Mcclaren failed, and he failed over and over at reaching stated objectives, his own objectives. Smart managers out coached him easily often gloating about it afterwards. He was given England in their golden years and not only did he not win the Euros he couldn't even qualify! No one could get Newcastle relegated like he did. It was staggering.

I enjoyed watching the football that's true but I didn't enjoy the catastrophic tactical naïveté and incompetence of the manager. None of us did. Don't settle for mediocrity disguised as something better.

If we didn't have Mac we wouldn't have Thorne or Wisdom.

If Mac had a healthy Thorne in 14/15 we would have been promoted, imo.

You say he didn't win any key match, what were the play off semi finals? Forest 5-0, Leeds 3-1, QPR 1-0, Wigan 3-1, Brighton 1-0 all in 13/14 season and Bournemouth 2-0, Leeds 2-1, Watford 2-1, Ipswich 1-0 in 14/15. Again imo, they were key matches that he won, from a fans view and from table standings.

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

If we didn't have Mac we wouldn't have Thorne or Wisdom.

If Mac had a healthy Thorne in 14/15 we would have been promoted, imo.

You say he didn't win any key match, what were the play off semi finals? Forest 5-0, Leeds 3-1, QPR 1-0, Wigan 3-1, Brighton 1-0 all in 13/14 season and Bournemouth 2-0, Leeds 2-1, Watford 2-1, Ipswich 1-0 in 14/15. Again imo, they were key matches that he won, from a fans view and from table standings.

Also add @Ninos that we would not have had Dawkins, Bamford, Ibe, Ince, Christie etc etc. 

9 hours ago, Ninos said:

Mac 

P-124 W-64 D-29 L-31 (Record number of points in season. Record number of goals in season.)

Clough

P-233 W-78 D-54- L101

Clement 

P-33 W-14 D-12 L-7

Rowett 

P-19 W-8 D-5 L-6

---------------------------------------------------

Mac1 win% = 53.7%

Mac2 win% = 44.8%

Clement win% = 42.4%

Rowett win% = 42.1%

Clough win% = 33.5%

------------------------------------------

As usual you haven't got a clue. Have you always talked rubbish or is it something that you developed to expert levels over time?

The cash was never really splashed for Mac1 or Mac 2. Only Clement and Pearson saw the owner shelling out at ridiculous prices.

Butterfield, Johnson, Vydra and Anya represent the biggest deposit of £ down the toilet in our history.

A bit of investment, on top of signing Nugent and loaning De Sart could have made all the difference and we wouldn't be having to watch the current hoofball.

18 hours ago, Ninos said:

90% of championship managers - given a midfield of healthy Thorne, Hughes, Bryson and Hendrick - would have the team playing entertaining football and probably winning the league at a canter

nonsense.

You're basically saying that Thorne is the difference as the other three were together for ages, but actually couldn't play together in the same team and be effective.

No one can deny the football under Mac was the best since the Jim Smith days. I couldn't wait for match day, good football and the team just worked so well. The togetherness and enjoyment of the players playing attacking football was a joy to watch. Unfortunately Mels axe was swinging and he made the biggest mistake possible. IMO if we had kept hold of Mac we'd be playing premiership football this season.

Archived