Kieftenbeld..... has he really signed?

Mafiabob

If the 'Keith' signing falls through it  really will show up the club and Rowett in particular, seeing as he took on the added role pushing through the transfers. Much as he was disliked, but seems like a scaled down Sam Rush type figure was definitely missed in the summer transfer window. Hughes sale seemed poor business. Clearing out some of the club's high earners seemed a target Rowett was expected to meet. Appears we missed out on a whole range of targets and obviously trying to scrape together a couple of transfers in the last hours or minutes shows how things have changed since last year. 

Without Keith in particular, it will be harder to get the best out of Huddlestone and obviously we don't have the Bryson and at Butterfield options to fall back on. This one falling through is a massive set back. 

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have I missed where the transfer has definitely not gone through? Already people calling the club/Rowett/the board for something that isn't 100% one way or the other. The club believe they completed in time, Birmingham believe it completed on time, but obviously the fans know better <_<

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Have I missed where the transfer has definitely not gone through? Already people calling the club/Rowett/the board for something that isn't 100% one way or the other. The club believe they completed in time, Birmingham believe it completed on time, but obviously the fans know better <_<

Gary's a big fan of Bake Off so submitted the paperwork as a showstopper arrangement - The EFL are still trying to work out if it's all there without destroying such a lovely work of art

48 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You don't rate Huddlestone or Johnson? How come? The latter can be a bit hit or miss but Huddlestone is one of the best midfielders in this division on his day. 

Johnson can be OK as a DM when it's an aerial game. For any other match he lacks discipline, awareness and mobility. Any half decent passing team easily bypasses him. On the ball his passing is a major issue, as we all know, and against pressing teams he gets caught in possession in dangerous areas all too often. He has no acceleration to make up for his mistakes so when he's lost it, he's lost it.

I like Huddlestone, but for me he's a deep lying playmaker, not  a defensive midfielder. He's very good on the ball, he has the awareness and the discipline but he's even less mobile - just because a player's game never relied on pace it doesn't mean it can't deteriorate further with age. He 'never had pace' but he has even less now. You can't play him as a DM in a 4-3-3 so to fit him in we are forced play a system with 2 DMs.

They are both only effective if played with the right partner, but they're not the right partner for each other. They just end up compounding each other's faults.

You only have to look at the Sheff Utd game to see why they can't be played as a DM pairing. Yes their goals came from our mistakes, but our mistakes came from their pressure; their pressure came from us not being able to get the ball off of them and giving it away cheaply when we had it (even Huddlestone was guilty of that) - we had no answer to their play middle of the park, had no control of the game and our attacks were s**** or bust - if we don't score, the pressure is right back on us.

I fear for us until January if we can't get the Kieftenbeld deal over the line. If we can't then we're back to hoping Thorne gets fit.

Even if we do, we can't be sure he'll fit in and make an impact - in theory he sounds like he should be a good partner for Huddlestone, but as ever there are no guarantees.

Has to be said that it was very unprofessional once again by the club leaving fans in the dark. Would anyone have even said anything if it wasn't for the bloke on the Birmingham forum? As reiterated, if it's up to the EFL then I can see them making an example out of us due to Mel's dislike of them. Moreover, Silva's deal for Leicester failed even though it was only 14 seconds after the deadline. They will most likely follow FIFA's example.

Archived