Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Didn't this poor Utd team just beat Liverpool? And Liverpool beat City :lol:

How is this at all relevant? Like this 90 minutes vs Sevilla, isn't relevant. It means Sevilla was the better side on the night, sure. Does it automatically make La Liga stronger? No. All teams have off days, and all teams can beat each other. I remember Derby beating United and Ronaldo got subbed on. Does that mean that we were the stronger team? No. We were better in that 90 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

QPR now 3 up - never saw that coming. Makes the 2 automatic places virtually sorted.

See who can work that one out. 4-1 Wolves now 0-3 QPR. Incredible and with such an incentive. Tonight has almost defined top two now 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

How is this at all relevant? Like this 90 minutes vs Sevilla, isn't relevant. It means Sevilla was the better side on the night, sure. Does it automatically make La Liga stronger? No. All teams have off days, and all teams can beat each other. I remember Derby beating United and Ronaldo got subbed on. Does that mean that we were the stronger team? No. We were better in that 90 minutes. 

But you're saying if City or Liverpool go through it makes the Prem stronger. Won't it still just be an "off day" by the opposing team then. 

Utd have failed to beat 5th in La Liga twice! They have a -6 goal difference in the league. This is against the so called 2nd best team at the moment in England.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

But you're saying if City or Liverpool go through it makes the Prem stronger. Won't it still just be an "off day" by the opposing team then. 

Utd have failed to beat 5th in La Liga twice! They have a -6 goal difference in the league. This is against the so called 2nd best team at the moment in England.

So, United, one of our 5 Champions League teams, not winning makes the whole of England weak? Didn't City and Liverpool smash their opposition? Didn't Spurs play Juve off the park twice? Is none of that relevant to only this 90 minutes? United didn't try win in Sevilla, they played for a draw on the assumption they would play well today. You can criticise that tactically, but it doesn't really make Sevilla a better side. They had a better 90 minutes tonight.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

So, United, one of our 5 Champions League teams, not winning makes the whole of England weak? Didn't City and Liverpool smash their opposition? Didn't Spurs play Juve off the park twice? Is none of that relevant to only this 90 minutes? United didn't try win in Sevilla, they played for a draw on the assumption they would play well today. You can criticise that tactically, but it doesn't really make Sevilla a better side. They had a better 90 minutes tonight.

Spurs didn't even go through :lol: City were playing Basel, Basel!!! They aren't even top in Switzerland. 

Look forward to Chelsea leaving the competition tomorrow night.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Spurs didn't even go through :lol: City were playing Basel, Basel!!! They aren't even top in Switzerland. 

Look forward to Chelsea leaving the competition tomorrow night.

And Spurs beat Madrid, and Dortmund on there way. Does that make Spurs better than Madrid? No. But that is the kind of logic you're using here. Even Arsenal's invincibles couldn't win the Champions League, and for me they were easily the best team in Europe that year, just didn't perform in the knockouts. My point is, it isn't easy to draw such sweeping conclusions from 90, or 180 minutes in a knockout tournament.  

United’s performance against Liverpool was poor. It wasn’t a masterclass, they scored two goals from long punts up the field.

They carried on in that vain this evening, and deservedly lost.

They got outplayed in Sevilla too, and were lucky to escape with a 0-0.

United are a poor side under Mourinho, and the fact that a few of their better players have regressed under him shows he is losing his touch.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

United’s performance against Liverpool was poor. It wasn’t a masterclass, they scored two goals from long punts up the field.

They carried on in that vain this evening, and deservedly lost.

They got outplayed in Sevilla too, and were lucky to escape with a 0-0.

United are a poor side under Mourinho, and the fact that a few of their better players have regressed under him shows he is losing his touch.

Did you copy that from the frank deboer column? :lol:

3 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Didn't this poor Utd team just beat Liverpool? And Liverpool beat City :lol:

I think the thing to take from this is that certain styles expose others and as such explains why football tends to favour certain styles of play for a decade or so.

It’s by no means a perfect science but I tend to think of there being three styles of team; the press, pragmatists and the passers. The press is most effective against the passers, the passers are most effective against the pragmatists, the pragmatists are most effective against the press. 

And so Liverpool pressed City to death but their pressing was totally ineffective against a United team that doesn’t really want the ball. Unfortunately for United they came up against a team that tries to play. 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

And Spurs beat Madrid, and Dortmund on there way. Does that make Spurs better than Madrid? No. But that is the kind of logic you're using here. Even Arsenal's invincibles couldn't win the Champions League, and for me they were easily the best team in Europe that year, just didn't perform in the knockouts. My point is, it isn't easy to draw such sweeping conclusions from 90, or 180 minutes in a knockout tournament.  

That’s what gives us hope every other June isn’t it? :lol:

48 minutes ago, cannable said:

I think the thing to take from this is that certain styles expose others and as such explains why football tends to favour certain styles of play for a decade or so.

It’s by no means a perfect science but I tend to think of there being three styles of team; the press, pragmatists and the passers. The press is most effective against the passers, the passers are most effective against the pragmatists, the pragmatists are most effective against the press. 

And so Liverpool pressed City to death but their pressing was totally ineffective against a United team that doesn’t really want the ball. Unfortunately for United they came up against a team that tries to play. 

I see. Rock beats scissors. 

Barcelona are more efficient these days, but nowhere near as good to watch.

Iniesta and Messi the only two who bring that magic. And Iniesta is getting on now, and Messi for that matter doesn’t cover anywhere near as much ground as before or rarely goes on those mazy runs from deep.

Chelsea look dangerous. Fancy them to score at least once. Could finish 3-2 this.

Archived