Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

7 hours ago, lukedcfc said:

The defending in the Pemier League these days is awful. Henry, Ronaldo, shearer etc would have a field day, it's really poor and getting worse each season imo. 

Agree, and not just confined to the Premier League either I think.

See Salah's 4th (I think) yesterday... where the left centre half is going I have no idea, he just gave Salah an open route to goal because he followed Ings when there were two defenders covering him already. Britos fell over nearly every time he got taken on by Salah. Yes he's fast, so drop deep, decide whether you are going to show him down the line if you also have speed, or if you are going to pack the midfield and force him into traffic. Watford did neither.

It's like teams, other than a Mourinho style 10 behind the ball, have no idea how to defend, or are unwilling to adapt tactically to different styles of play.

Another example that stands out to me is anyone playing Leicester two seasons ago. Their entire success was built on a strong, compact two banks of 4 and a quick counter, usually with Kante winning it, and Mahrez picking out Vardy, or a long direct pass over the top. Nearly every team they played, even after everyone realised Leicester were good, continued to try and play possession football, with defenders pushing up to the halfway line, playing right into Leicester's hands.

Then there's a lack of actually good individual defenders, which is probably just a cyclical thing. As annoying for me is that a full back who can actually defend is an endangered species, it's like none of them ever watched Maldini, Cafu, Zanetti, Lahm, Thuram...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Agree, and not just confined to the Premier League either I think.

See Salah's 4th (I think) yesterday... where the left centre half is going I have no idea, he just gave Salah an open route to goal because he followed Ings when there were two defenders covering him already. Britos fell over nearly every time he got taken on by Salah. Yes he's fast, so drop deep, decide whether you are going to show him down the line if you also have speed, or if you are going to pack the midfield and force him into traffic. Watford did neither.

It's like teams, other than a Mourinho style 10 behind the ball, have no idea how to defend, or are unwilling to adapt tactically to different styles of play.

Another example that stands out to me is anyone playing Leicester two seasons ago. Their entire success was built on a strong, compact two banks of 4 and a quick counter, usually with Kante winning it, and Mahrez picking out Vardy, or a long direct pass over the top. Nearly every team they played, even after everyone realised Leicester were good, continued to try and play possession football, with defenders pushing up to the halfway line, playing right into Leicester's hands.

Then there's a lack of actually good individual defenders, which is probably just a cyclical thing. As annoying for me is that a full back who can actually defend is an endangered species, it's like none of them ever watched Maldini, Cafu, Zanetti, Lahm, Thuram...

See Ashley Young in as a left back for the England squad. It’s good to be adaptable, but it’s a sad sad state of affairs that winger converted to left back is the best left back we’ve got. 

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

with one thing and another I dont get chance to watch much prem football (I know it is FACUP) but I am, impressed by the skills on show Fester v Chelsea.  A bit of a chess game but mistakes are punished instantly

Oh. Thought the first half was a bit of a bore. Fell asleep and missed the goal :(

20 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Oh. Thought the first half was a bit of a bore. Fell asleep and missed the goal :(

It was a bit but....

26 minutes ago, Spanish said:

with one thing and another I dont get chance to watch much prem football (I know it is FACUP) but I am, impressed by the skills on show Fester v Chelsea.  A bit of a chess game but mistakes are punished instantly

Second half leicester look quite good. 

24 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

like I say, dont watch much Prem :blink: maybe it's carp.  With having ramstv I've been watching Champ so the difference is startling

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Brazil is looking good against surprisingly poor Germany.

Organised and skillful as usual.

Saw Brazil vs Russia, who are obviously rubbish, but they looked impressive in that game also. Slight favourites for me at the minute. Front players are frightening, two decent centre backs. Even have a decent keeper now as well.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Saw Brazil vs Russia, who are obviously rubbish, but they looked impressive in that game also. Slight favourites for me at the minute. Front players are frightening, two decent centre backs. Even have a decent keeper now as well.

Would you bet your house on Russia not winning the world cup?

1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

Germany is looking toothless, which tells a lot. OK, they haven't played Werner, who IMO is their only good striker at the moment...

When talking about Brazil, can't forget their fullbacks (even though Alves is a disgusting ****, who I'd gladly forget).

Archived