Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t understand the first penalty. Isn’t Kane offside? You could hear the linesman saying that if Lovren touches the ball it’s not... But what does it matter if he touches the ball? It’s not like he was in possession with it and passed it back. Dele passed towards Kane who was offside and it clipped Lovren on the way through... It’s surely still offside right?

49 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don’t understand the first penalty. Isn’t Kane offside? You could hear the linesman saying that if Lovren touches the ball it’s not... But what does it matter if he touches the ball? It’s not like he was in possession with it and passed it back. Dele passed towards Kane who was offside and it clipped Lovren on the way through... It’s surely still offside right?

Didn't see it but yes how you describe it yes he's off.

14 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Didn't see it but yes how you describe it yes he's off.

Seemingly he isn’t if the defender makes an attempt to and actually touches the ball ( according to Dermot Gallagher after the game). On that basis I haven’t a clue what the offside rule is nowadays. Better get the missus to explain it to me again! Now where’s the salt and pepper set?????!

3 hours ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Seemingly he isn’t if the defender makes an attempt to and actually touches the ball ( according to Dermot Gallagher after the game). On that basis I haven’t a clue what the offside rule is nowadays. Better get the missus to explain it to me again! Now where’s the salt and pepper set?????!

I always thought it was when the ball was played. God knows.

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Dele Alli's dive was an absolute disgrace, what was he playing at?  Is he now the most consistent and blatant cheater in the Premier League?  I can't think of anyone worse in that regard.

Judging by his snapchat..... he don’t like doing a certain type of diving.....

21 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The rule is intent to play the ball. Lovren intended to play the ball out, doesn't matter that he ******* it up. It is seen as the attacking team isn't advantaged by that, and so Kane isn't offside. If it had just hit Lovren and go through, it would still be offside, but as he intended to play it, that's why it was offside. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

The rule is intent to play the ball. Lovren intended to play the ball out, doesn't matter that he ******* it up. It is seen as the attacking team isn't advantaged by that, and so Kane isn't offside. If it had just hit Lovren and go through, it would still be offside, but as he intended to play it, that's why it was offside. 

I don't think that's correct.

I think what you describe would only be correct if Kane drifted 'offside' between the ball being played and Lovren touching it.

So as Kane was offside at the time the ball was played by his team mate, he is clearly interfering with play so should be ruled offside. The offence is at the time the original ball was played by spurs NOT when Kane receives it.

Maybe @Mafiabob can shed some light on it?

4 hours ago, Highgate said:

Dele Alli's dive was an absolute disgrace, what was he playing at?  Is he now the most consistent and blatant cheater in the Premier League?  I can't think of anyone worse in that regard.

I thought van dykes was worse. Alli didnt actually appeal from what I could see. But I wont disagree he has form.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I don't think that's correct.

I think what you describe would only be correct if Kane drifted 'offside' between the ball being played and Lovren touching it.

So as Kane was offside at the time the ball was played by his team mate, he is clearly interfering with play so should be ruled offside. The offence is at the time the original ball was played by spurs NOT when Kane receives it.

Maybe @Mafiabob can shed some light on it?

''PGMOL said Moss was right to give the spot-kick - which was missed - and was correct in recognising that Kane was not offside because Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren had deliberately played the ball in the run-up to the incident.''

"Jon Moss was in a good position to see that a Liverpool player deliberately played the ball before it fell to Harry Kane in the penalty area. He then correctly judged that Kane was fouled by Loris Karius," the statement said.''

I think it's correct. If the opposition player intentionally plays a ball that ends up going to an offside player in the other team, then it's onside. Clearly, Lovren intended to kick that ball, therefore onside and the correct decision.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

''PGMOL said Moss was right to give the spot-kick - which was missed - and was correct in recognising that Kane was not offside because Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren had deliberately played the ball in the run-up to the incident.''

"Jon Moss was in a good position to see that a Liverpool player deliberately played the ball before it fell to Harry Kane in the penalty area. He then correctly judged that Kane was fouled by Loris Karius," the statement said.''

I think it's correct. If the opposition player intentionally plays a ball that ends up going to an offside player in the other team, then it's onside. Clearly, Lovren intended to kick that ball, therefore onside and the correct decision.

Clearly there is confusion as Mark Clattenburg says the opposite

'As to the first, while there was contact on the ball by Dejan Lovren as it was played to Kane, Clattenburg noted allowing a player in an offside position to collect a ball when it’s played intentionally by a defender—as with a back pass—is different to it being touched in an attempt to stop it being played to an offside player.

Kane was offside. Lovren brushed the ball as he stretched to try to stop it being played to Kane by a Tottenham attacker. His decision was influenced by the player standing offside. Whether Lovren touched it is immaterial—just that he didn’t play it deliberately in the direction of Kane. It was an offside play.'

Archived