Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's a good question. I honestly think that Lovren attempted to play the ball because he knew Kane was behind him, and he didn't know he was offside. If he knew he was offside, it would have been a ballsy move to just let it run back to the GK.

I also think that if Kane wasn't standing there, Lovren, being a PL level defender, would have recognised the situation and just allowed the ball to roll back to the GK unharmed. Therefore, IMO, Kane's presence made Lovren go for the ball, therefore Kane was interfering with play whether he initially challenged for the ball or not. Kane was definitely ready to receive Dele Alli's pass, it was like he was facing his own goal walking backwards from an onffside position, he was anticipating the through-ball reaching him.

I could be wrong. I just feel considering the action Kane was offside and if that had happened against Derby I'd be fuming. 

On the flip side if Derby had won the penalty I'd be claiming that Lovren was a donkey and the penalty should stand. As a 100% neutral, I'm leaning towards it was offside but that's just my opinion.

That's why it's such a controversial one, it's all about the interpretation and that completely differs from person to person. I think, because it's such a close and tough decision, I'd probably give the benefit of the doubt to the striker, and therefore award the penalty, although I certainly see the merit for the argument that it was a harsh decision. Particularly in the heat of the moment, it's an extremely hard decision to give, as can we know that Lovren even had the awareness of Kane being there or not? I think it's an extremely interesting example for the offside rule.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Shall we start on the second penalty yet or leave that ? :D

My initial reaction for 2nd one was 100% penalty. I was very surprised the referee didn't give it at first, but maybe he felt Lamela made a meal of it (like Cameron Jerome I guess) and replays showed he did.

However, Van Dijk kicked him when Lamela was in possession of the ball. That's a foul anywhere else on the pitch, so surely a penalty. IMO.

I think where people get frustrated is with the soft ones. Klopp was right in that kicks like that were happening all over the pitch and fouls weren't given. But then again, players don't generally go down like they've been shot from a slight kick like that if they're 50 yards from the goal.

And who wants to watch a game where soft fouls are given every 20-30 seconds...

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

My initial reaction for 2nd one was 100% penalty. I was very surprised the referee didn't give it at first, but maybe he felt Lamela made a meal of it (like Cameron Jerome I guess) and replays showed he did.

However, Van Dijk kicked him when Lamela was in possession of the ball. That's a foul anywhere else on the pitch, so surely a penalty. IMO.

I think where people get frustrated is with the soft ones. Klopp was right in that kicks like that were happening all over the pitch and fouls weren't given. But then again, players don't generally go down like they've been shot from a slight kick like that if they're 50 yards from the goal.

And who wants to watch a game where soft fouls are given every 20-30 seconds...

Clattenburg says that one was offside too. I can't be bothered to look though.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

But surely Lovren goes for the ball to prevent it from reaching Kane, who was in an offside position from the original pass. Take Kane out of the equation and Lovren just allows that ball to roll through to the GK unharmed.

They flag offside for players interfering with play. Surely Kane was interfering with play here, with his presence making Lovren go for the ball? It's not like he was just innocous. Dele Alli's pass was intended for him.

And that is why he should have been given offside before it got to the penalty incident. The linesman I believe to be incorrect when he said, 'if there wasn't a touch, he was offside.' He was offside anyway (and making an attempt to get to the ball too).

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

That's why it's such a controversial one, it's all about the interpretation and that completely differs from person to person. I think, because it's such a close and tough decision, I'd probably give the benefit of the doubt to the striker, and therefore award the penalty, although I certainly see the merit for the argument that it was a harsh decision. Particularly in the heat of the moment, it's an extremely hard decision to give, as can we know that Lovren even had the awareness of Kane being there or not? I think it's an extremely interesting example for the offside rule.

Actually, I didn't think it was a foul. And Harry Kane seems to agree: 'I felt contact and went down,' he says, as if it were a conscious decision.

31 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Bye Bye Conte, he’s defo gonna get the bullet tonight ???

Schteve will be practicising his "cor blimey guv'nor"

Archived