Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Actually, I didn't think it was a foul. And Harry Kane seems to agree: 'I felt contact and went down,' he says, as if it were a conscious decision.

I disagree, Karius even acknowledged that his shoulder connected with Kane. It's a penalty for me, not offside and a foul. Liverpool fans seem to cry about decisions a lot, for a club that gets a lot of decisions!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I disagree, Karius even acknowledged that his shoulder connected with Kane. It's a penalty for me, not offside and a foul. Liverpool fans seem to cry about decisions a lot, for a club that gets a lot of decisions!

The thing is, though, that 'contact' is not enough. It's not basketball. There's contact all the time. The ref has to decide whether it is 'in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force'. Clearly the referee thought so. I didn't and ultimately, it's only the referee's opinion that counts.

19 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The thing is, though, that 'contact' is not enough. It's not basketball. There's contact all the time. The ref has to decide whether it is 'in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force'. Clearly the referee thought so. I didn't and ultimately, it's only the referee's opinion that counts.

To be fair, when you're running at top speed, any contact can bring you down. I agree with both of the decisions made, and I think the officials made some brilliant ballsy calls. I'd say there was enough.

13 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

@Andicis is correct..... boy it was a tricky one, I would have made a mistake and flagged..... the conversation was pretty good to hear between Jon Moss and the lino...... Jon just went with his initial decision, no flag ever went up..... If someone is to blame it’s Lovren for being a donkey..... but that won’t happen.

Officials we’re pretty brilliant that last 10-15 minutes. Glad a lino took the decision from the better angle to give the 2nd one.

Problem is idiots like Klopp after the game in interviews will be lapped up. Hides the fact his team was outplayed in the 2nd half at Home..... 

is the back pass rule different?  if it had trickled through to the goalie and he picked it up would it be deemed a back pass?

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

is the back pass rule different?  if it had trickled through to the goalie and he picked it up would it be deemed a back pass?

No. Wasn’t deliberate to pass back as it was oppo player who played, but I know where you’re coming from, Kane was in a offside position when ball was played..... it’s about the phase of play where Lovren played it. That’s why the officials come to that conclusion. 

31 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

No. Wasn’t deliberate to pass back as it was oppo player who played, but I know where you’re coming from, Kane was in a offside position when ball was played..... it’s about the phase of play where Lovren played it. That’s why the officials come to that conclusion. 

clear as mud then.  football developed on mostly clear objective rules, offside was offside, not convinced the complications have had any positive impact whatsoever

19 minutes ago, Spanish said:

clear as mud then.  football developed on mostly clear objective rules, offside was offside, not convinced the complications have had any positive impact whatsoever

I think if we flagged for anyone offside in any area of the ground.... they’d be groans, the problem with clear as mud is that we rely more on a pundit/manager/commentary of what’s right and wrong (they are wrong and unaware on most part) and take what they say as granted.

It was fascinating to hear the officials discussing it. No one would have known what really was going on if we hadn’t. Just imagine if the clubs and FA had the gonads to agree to mic up officials so all can hear...... instead of VAR and all other initiatives. You’d get clarity on a decision, even if you don’t agree or maybe wrong, and respect would go through the roof, less dissent and abuse.

48 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I think if we flagged for anyone offside in any area of the ground.... they’d be groans, the problem with clear as mud is that we rely more on a pundit/manager/commentary of what’s right and wrong (they are wrong and unaware on most part) and take what they say as granted.

It was fascinating to hear the officials discussing it. No one would have known what really was going on if we hadn’t. Just imagine if the clubs and FA had the gonads to agree to mic up officials so all can hear...... instead of VAR and all other initiatives. You’d get clarity on a decision, even if you don’t agree or maybe wrong, and respect would go through the roof, less dissent and abuse.

what was that BC said; if you're not interfering with play young man you shouldn't be on the pitch!  Kane got an advantage from standing in an offside position and just from that I find it difficult to understand why the rules would work in his favour, rules is rules as they say

39 minutes ago, Spanish said:

what was that BC said; if you're not interfering with play young man you shouldn't be on the pitch!  Kane got an advantage from standing in an offside position and just from that I find it difficult to understand why the rules would work in his favour, rules is rules as they say

Agree on understanding...... but that’s the point I’m trying to make.

The officials have got it right, but because a manager, punditvor commentator don’t understand..... it’s passed off as an officials mistake, they then get it in the neck..... that’s my bug bear. 

30 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The officials have got it right, but because a manager, punditvor commentator don’t understand..... it’s passed off as an officials mistake, they then get it in the neck..... that’s my bug bear. 

Surely cant be great when a former top ref like Clattenburg comes out and disagrees with the officials as well?

Seems to be a few refs making money now from analysing decisions (with all the replays and slow mo's that got with it). Not saying a former ref shouldnt have a career and if they dont do it other people will but still cant imagine they would have enjoyed a former colleague passing comment on decisions they have made with the benefit of technology.

Still think it was off myself as the offence occured first but still. If Team A player fouled Team B player, before the ref blew another Team B player fouled a Team A player, surely it still goes back to the first offence?

8 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Surely cant be great when a former top ref like Clattenburg comes out and disagrees with the officials as well?

Seems to be a few refs making money now from analysing decisions (with all the replays and slow mo's that got with it). Not saying a former ref shouldnt have a career and if they dont do it other people will but still cant imagine they would have enjoyed a former colleague passing comment on decisions they have made with the benefit of technology.

Still think it was off myself as the offence occured first but still. If Team A player fouled Team B player, before the ref blew another Team B player fouled a Team A player, surely it still goes back to the first offence?

Why I think if we go to VAR, it should be in stadium and not centrally controlled.

Judging by what I’ve read of officials in various autobiographies, there’s just as much competition etc between them as there is in any professional sports player.

It was a hard call, but by letter of law it was correct 

5 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

...until it reveals that most refs actually say ‘I ain’t got a ******* clue mate, I was thinking about what I’m having for tea when it happened, let’s just give it to Spurs, they probably deserve a goal this half.’

Nobody should be suprised that officials get some decisions wrong,with all the theatricals that go on around them,then you get the so called experts in various studios telling everybody after viewing incidents 15 times they think they have got it wrong,it's the human element that makes it exciting.

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

This by far the least edifying and most annoying parts of the modern game. Martin Tyler and Gary Neville couldn't resist digs at the ref on Sunday ('the man who sent off Sado Mane' in a clearly disapproving tone as if he hadn't made exactly the right decision). Pundits are ex-professional players who have a particular axe to grind with the figures who denied them goals, penalties etc or sent them off and so on; people who made their living out of believing they 'have the right to go down' (hehehehe). They demonstrate time and time again an ignorance of the laws of the game they continue to make money out of ('ball to hand', 'there was contact', 'he was looking at the ball' ad nauseam).

It's time for these people to actually do what they are supposed to do - to analyse and inform - from a position of actual knowledge of the laws of the game and to stop what they actually do - manufacture something apparently called 'talking points' as if they have no faith in the actual football being interesting enough.

38 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

...until it reveals that most refs actually say ‘I ain’t got a ******* clue mate, I was thinking about what I’m having for tea when it happened, let’s just give it to Spurs, they probably deserve a goal this half.’

See @AndyinLiverpool reply to me just..... he nails it

2 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

This by far the least edifying and most annoying parts of the modern game. Martin Tyler and Gary Neville couldn't resist digs at the ref on Sunday ('the man who sent off Sado Mane' in a clearly disapproving tone as if he hadn't made exactly the right decision). Pundits are ex-professional players who have a particular axe to grind with the figures who denied them goals, penalties etc or sent them off and so on; people who made their living out of believing they 'have the right to go down' (hehehehe). They demonstrate time and time again an ignorance of the laws of the game they continue to make money out of ('ball to hand', 'there was contact', 'he was looking at the ball' ad nauseam).

It's time for these people to actually do what they are supposed to do - to analyse and inform - from a position of actual knowledge of the laws of the game and to stop what they actually do - manufacture something apparently called 'talking points' as if they have no faith in the actual football being interesting enough.

Absolutely agree......

Archived