Live games 2017/18

CumbrianRam

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/11/2017 at 22:57, Highgate said:

Just not able to chase games really. The player's collective lack of natural ability meant that setting up for a 1-0 or was the best hope. Big mistakes for the 1st and 2nd goals and with Denmark 2-1 up the writing was on the wall. Second half, O'Neill took off two defensive midfielders, threw on 2 attacking players and went for broke...giving us a very unfamiliar shape and making the team very vulnerable, but he had to gamble i guess.

Can't complain, the more talented team and the better team over 2 legs went through, obviously. And Eriksen deserves to play in the World Cup. Still hurts to lose like that though.

What's your view on O'Neill, time to go or another campaign?.

O'Neill plays a very negative brand of football @CWC1983, which a lot of fans don't like, myself included. But given the very limited nature of the players at our disposal, if we wish to be competitive maybe we have little choice but to play like that. I really don't ever remember an Irish squad so entirely bereft of quality attacking players.

O'Neill tends to able to get the most out of average players, so I think the FAI are justified in offering him a new contract. He has taken a lot of criticism after the 1-5 defeat (and he really hates to be criticised) but considering ROI were 4th seeds in the group, getting to a play-off can't be seen as under performing really. I think he has earned another campaign, if he wants it.

5 hours ago, Highgate said:

O'Neill plays a very negative brand of football @CWC1983, which a lot of fans don't like, myself included. But given the very limited nature of the players at our disposal, if we wish to be competitive maybe we have little choice but to play like that. I really don't ever remember an Irish squad so entirely bereft of quality attacking players.

O'Neill tends to able to get the most out of average players, so I think the FAI are justified in offering him a new contract. He has taken a lot of criticism after the 1-5 defeat (and he really hates to be criticised) but considering ROI were 4th seeds in the group, getting to a play-off can't be seen as under performing really. I think he has earned another campaign, if he wants it.

Fair enough. Speaking to the Irish fans in Dublin before the 1 1 game v Scotland the jury was definitely out, but I guess qualification in that campaign changed opinion. 

Attacking wise it's the same for us. If Leigh Griffiths gets injured we are knackered. 

Archived