Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RamO said:

So it looks like my quest to watch every live match (from Australia) this coming season will fail at the first hurdle. 

Let me explain. This match (Sunderland v Derby) is a Sky game meaning that the club doesn't have the rights to televise it. That means it should be available to watch on the overseas 'broadcast partner' right? Just like last season? Wrong. Apparently, according to last year's 'broadcast partner', Beinsports, they "are unable to confirm whether or not [they] will be broadcasting EFL Championship as the rights for the 2017/18 season have yet to be assigned". I got this reply from them by email at 4pm Australia time, just under 13 hours before the first kickoff of the season. You'd think that with so much money involved, that this would be sorted out by now.

So frustratingly, we have no idea whether and where we can watch the match, despite it being televised in the UK. 

Does anybody in Australia have any better info than this? 

You can watch it legally on bet365 if you're abroad. Just make an account, you dont have to bet anything. 

Also obviously loads of streams out there but not allowed to link them on here, shouldn't be difficult to find one though.

On 2 Aug 2017 at 09:50, Carl Sagan said:

Reopening old wounds, the only way we could have lost that match was a last-minute QPR winner with no time for us to retrieve the situation. It's the 90th minute. We're about to go into extra time against a team that had been playing with 10 men for a long time, desperately defending. We're absolutely all over them. Perhaps the most one-sided football game I've ever seen that was purely attack versus defence. All we needed to do was to be professional, play the percentages and keep the ball for a minute until the final whistle.

Then Bucko launches an absolutely suicidal Hollywood pass from the halfway line heading for the left corner. Why? Why? Why? It's intercepted. QPR race forward. Between them Bucko and Fozzy have at least three opportunities to put the ball into row Z and regroup. They don't take them because they seem for some bizarre reason to be trying to keep the ball alive and not concede a throw-in at all costs.

The cross comes in, bounces off Keogh's leg and there we are with my old man telling me "I told you so" beside me. Never felt more like hitting him in my life, but I did resist.

Still makes me seethe. We'd better stuff Sunderland and then some. Come on you Rams!

Oh that made me feel better. Someone want to come in and describe the Steve Walsh goal in 94 next??:blink:

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

That was a bad day mate made worse by me and my son having to walk back up Wembley way with Foxes fans giving no sympathy to Derby fans. 

And the " Silence of the Rams" banner hanging off the m1 motorway bridge on the way back home. 

In other news... Derby win 0-2 tonight. 

14 minutes ago, Colm said:

You can watch it legally on bet365 if you're abroad. Just make an account, you dont have to bet anything. 

Also obviously loads of streams out there but not allowed to link them on here, shouldn't be difficult to find one though.

Cool. Thanks. I'll look into it. 

3 hours ago, RamO said:

So it looks like my quest to watch every live match (from Australia) this coming season will fail at the first hurdle. 

Let me explain. This match (Sunderland v Derby) is a Sky game meaning that the club doesn't have the rights to televise it. That means it should be available to watch on the overseas 'broadcast partner' right? Just like last season? Wrong. Apparently, according to last year's 'broadcast partner', Beinsports, they "are unable to confirm whether or not [they] will be broadcasting EFL Championship as the rights for the 2017/18 season have yet to be assigned". I got this reply from them by email at 4pm Australia time, just under 13 hours before the first kickoff of the season. You'd think that with so much money involved, that this would be sorted out by now.

So frustratingly, we have no idea whether and where we can watch the match, despite it being televised in the UK. 

Does anybody in Australia have any better info than this? 

Same here mate, checked Foxtel and no games this weekend. Anyway, here's hoping for a solid season and can't wait till I'm over for a live game in April.

7 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

Same here mate, checked Foxtel and no games this weekend. Anyway, here's hoping for a solid season and can't wait till I'm over for a live game in April.

Seems crazy doesn't it? I'm willing to pay money for this FFS! 

But alas - COYR! 

Mind games from Grayson before the game :mellow:

Sunderland boss Simon Grayson told BBC Newcastle:

"We all want a positive start, but Fulham beat Newcastle first game of last season and Newcastle were promoted. At Preston [his former club] we lost our first six and were around the play-offs at the end of the season.

"I know what my team is for Friday night, but in a few weeks I don't know. We're vulnerable to players leaving.

"When you look at Derby, they've spent a huge amount of money over a couple of seasons now and they will be disappointed they didn't finish anywhere near last season.

"It's a great opportunity for us to get off to a good start."

9 Derby 46 11 8 4 33 20 7 5 11 21 30 +4 67

10 Brentford 46 11 5 7 42 25 7 5 11 33 40 +10 64

11 Preston 46 11 6 6 40 26 5 8 10 24 37 +1 62

:thumbsup:

59 minutes ago, rynny said:

Mind games from Grayson before the game :mellow:

9 Derby 46 11 8 4 33 20 7 5 11 21 30 +4 67

10 Brentford 46 11 5 7 42 25 7 5 11 33 40 +10 64

11 Preston 46 11 6 6 40 26 5 8 10 24 37 +1 62

:thumbsup:

Even ignoring the blatant hypocrisy of him claiming they were near and we weren't, 11th is 5 places of the playoffs and essentially mid table.. how can he claim they were around the playoffs!? They were no where near..

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Even ignoring the blatant hypocrisy of him claiming they were near and we weren't, 11th is 5 places of the playoffs and essentially mid table.. how can he claim they were around the playoffs!? They were no where near..

Convince the Sunderland fans he is a good manager?

3 hours ago, curtains said:

That was a bad day mate made worse by me and my son having to walk back up Wembley way with Foxes fans giving no sympathy to Derby fans. 

Worst drive up the M1 I've ever suffered. Then the M6. Jeeez I'm back in my MG Metro now :cry:

I'll be Watching from my front room in Leicester. It could go either way tonight but right now I'm feeling very very excited for the new season! 

All of a sudden I am feeling very optimistic.

Looking forward to an excellent rams performance tonight with an early goal of the season contender and some properly exciting forward play all built from a solid yet classy backline and a super midfield performance full of cool heads and classy passing....... 

?‍♂️  Or........

What will actually happen is I'll be full of pre match nerves and nervous energy and then get gradually more disillusioned as the game wares on. By the end of it I'll be threatening to cancel my sky sports subscription and cursing the fact I wasn't born in a more successful footballing city..... ?

COYR!!!

Archived