Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Sunderland a shambles, a bang average manager at this level, a load of players that can't be arsed, fans angry.

It would be peak Derby to get turned over by them.

Harsh that JFETCN! Is ours any better? Grayson has achieved much more in his career than Rowett. Grayson is going to have to work miracles in the short term to survive up there though. 

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm sorry if this is too negative or unfair, but I just cannot get excited about the fact that we are going into the first game of the new season potentially playing 4-3-3, with Weimann and Russell as our two widemen. The only time I've enjoyed watching us play so far under Rowett has been when we've played 4-2-3-1, with Vydra behind the striker, and I'm not sure how that promising new style of play has managed to mould back into the old way.

4-3-3 has been good to us. Especially when we've had the components to make it work. But a 4-3-3 with no Thorne, no Hughes and especially no Ince? That doesn't sound good to me. I could follow Rowett's thinking, in getting rid of Hughes and Ince, if they no longer matched the style of play he wanted. But by all accounts (the Hoffenheim game included), the style of play doesn't really seem to be changing at all? He just wants us to make less passes. Great.

Again, I'm sorry if this is a somewhat ultra-negative point of view to have at this point in the season. I know the transfer window hasn't closed yet, and that the landscape could be very different by the end of August. But this is just how I'm feeling at the moment, and Rowett's comments in his interview this morning (i.e the dulling down of a need to bring in new attacking players) has coloured be somewhat uninspired. 

I think I feel interested rather than excited.

Interested to see if I can detect the beginnings of Gary's philosophy and see the extent to which different players - including those being brought back into the fold - embrace it and increase in confidence.

I think we CAN become an exciting team to watch, but confidence and momentum are so important to that - I don't see it happening for sure for the first few games.

I shall be in the local with no mates whatsoever for the game (I may have the dog with me tho and she's loyal :lol:)

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Harsh that JFETCN! Is ours any better? Grayson has achieved much more in his career than Rowett. Grayson is going to have to work miracles in the short term to survive up there though. 

I reckon if you put together a league table based on ability of all the managers in the league he would be slap bang in the middle. Done well at League One with a couple of clubs but doesn't seem able to push a team any further than mid table in the Championship.

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I can not for sunderland on friday now i have a good feeling about this game. I think derby are going to win. I am calling all derby fans to loud and vocal for lads on friday even me for nick blackman i can not stand the player i will get behind the player. I might have a broken ankle that been walk on for 13 years i might miss part of the season as i might need a opration to sort it out sigh but try my damnest not to miss any games.

And why exactly can't you stand the player? Did he kill your cat or steal your first girlfriend? Pathetic

mumblemumble

18 in the squad - does anyone know who missed out? I would imagine it'll be something like this:

Starting 11:

Carson

Widsom

Keogh

Davies

Forsyth

Huddlestone

Butterfield

Johnson

Russell

Weimann

Martin

8 Subs:

Mitchell

Baird

Pearce

Bryson

Anya

Bennett

Nugent

Vydra

Missed out:

Roos

Hanson

Olsson

Blackman

Injured:

Bent

Lowe

Shackell

Thorne

4 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh(C) Davies Fozzy

Huddlestone

Johnson Butterfield

Russell                                   Weimann

Martin 

Subs

Mitchell

Baird 

Nugent

Vydra

Bryson

Pearce

Bennett or Anya (think Bennett will make it) 

Completely forgot about Olsson. 

6 minutes ago, mumblemumble said:

18 in the squad - does anyone know who missed out? I would imagine it'll be something like this:

Starting 11:

Carson

Widsom

Keogh

Davies

Forsyth

Huddlestone

Butterfield

Johnson

Russell

Weimann

Martin

8 Subs:

Mitchell

Baird

Pearce

Bryson

Anya

Bennett

Nugent

Vydra

Missed out:

Roos

Hanson

Olsson

Blackman

Injured:

Bent

Lowe

Shackell

Thorne

18 in the squad and you've put down 19 players ?

If we really are going with a 4-3-3, despite selling the players who made that formation really work, then I'd honestly rather play Nick Blackman on the right than JR or AW.

He's currently the only player in our team who has flourished in that position in the Championship. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

If we really are going with a 4-3-3, despite selling the players who made that formation really work, then I'd honestly rather play Nick Blackman on the right than JR or AW.

He's currently the only player in our team who has flourished in that position in the Championship. 

I see what you mean but suspect that Gary won't risk him having not had him for full pre-season.

8 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Mate, do you mean the 15/16 season when he scored 13 and assisted 3 so involved in 16 goals? 

The same season Russell got 11 goals and 11 assists so involved in 22 goals.

people have short memories

25 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Mate, do you mean the 15/16 season when he scored 13 and assisted 3 so involved in 16 goals? 

The same season Russell got 11 goals and 11 assists so involved in 22 goals.

people have short memories

15/16? The season where JR scored 9 league goals all season, and Nick Blackman scored 11 by Christmas? 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Because he has a broken ankle, obviously explains why he can't stand Blackman.

Was a spell check error , he meant he can't stamp Blackman ( not wise with that ankle) 

Archived