Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

No not really

You can say you dont rate him, but to say you cant stand him...is a bit harsh.

18 hours ago, SKRam said:

Presume it'll be 1st away kit rather than third kit they'll play in Fri? Any info anyone? 

I'd say away kit tomorrow night. 

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh(C) Davies Fozzy

Huddlestone

Johnson Butterfield

Russell                                   Weimann

Martin 

Subs

Mitchell

Baird 

Nugent

Vydra

Bryson

Pearce

Bennett or Anya (think Bennett will make it) 

2 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh(C) Davies Fozzy

Huddlestone

Johnson Butterfield

Russell                                   Weimann

Martin 

Subs

Mitchell

Baird 

Nugent

Vydra

Bryson

Pearce

Bennett or Anya (think Bennett will make it) 

Oh no not Russell and Wiemann 

11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Best we've got right now

Rather have Vydra and Nugent and play 4-3-2-1

Steve Nicholson DET 

Derby County kick off their 2017-18 Sky Bet Championship campaign on Friday night.

The Rams take on Sunderland at the Stadium of Light (7.45pm) in front of the live teleivision cameras. 

All eyes will be on manager Gary Rowett's team selection on Wearside.

We have already asked you what your Derby line-up would be - and now our chief football writer Steve Nicholson has had his say on the matter.

Steve has gone for reigning player of the year Scott Carson in goal, with a back four (right to left) of Andre Wisdom, Richard Keogh, Curtis Davies and Craig Forsyth.

He has opted for a midfield trio of Tom Huddlestone, Bradley Johnson and Craig Bryson, with Chris Martin up front flanked by Johnny Russell and Andreas Weimann on the wings.

Steve Nicholson's Derby team to face Sunderland

Explaining his decisions, Steve said: "Scott Carson is the player of the year and he got my vote. I thought he was outstanding last season and is Derby's first-choice keeper, so there is no doubt about that position.

"Andre Wisdom has come in this summer and I think he will strengthen the right-back position.

"Then you've got the skipper, Richard Keogh, alongside another new arrival, Curtis Davies, at centre-back.

"I thought Craig Forsyth was missed last season when he was out injured, and I would go for him at left-back.

Craig Forsyth in action for Derby against TSG 1899 Hoffenheim (Image: Andy Clarke)

"If Gary Rowett goes for a 4-3-3, quite clearly, Tom Huddlestone will be in the middle of the midfield trio.

"He will be the anchor and the ball will go through him a lot of the time.

"Alongside him, Bradley Johnson looks like he will get the nod and from what we have seen in pre-season, he deserves to.

"Then it looks like it's between Jacob Butterfield and Craig Bryson for the other place.

"I like Jacob Butterfield. I think he is a very good footballer.

"And we know what Craig Bryson offers - he's got the legs and can get up and down the pitch.

Craig Bryson in action against Hoffenheim (Image: Andy Clarke)

"I think the key is to get the balance right and, on this occasion, I would go for Bryson.

"The focal point of the attack has to be Chris Martin. He has done so well for Derby in the past. He has had his critics but is still capable of scoring goals at Championship level.

"In a 4-3-3, my two wide men would be Johnny Russell on the right and Andreas Weimann on the left, in front of the likes of Ikechi Anya and Mason Bennett.

"If I'd gone for a 4-2-3-1, I would have had David Nugent or Matej Vydra just off Chris Martin.

"In some ways, I would like to see Derby move away from the 4-3-3 formation but I totally understand why Gary Rowett is still looking at that, because much of the squad is built for 4-3-3."

10 minutes ago, curtains said:

Rather have Vydra and Nugent and play 4-3-2-1

Steve Nicholson DET 

Derby County kick off their 2017-18 Sky Bet Championship campaign on Friday night.

The Rams take on Sunderland at the Stadium of Light (7.45pm) in front of the live teleivision cameras. 

All eyes will be on manager Gary Rowett's team selection on Wearside.

We have already asked you what your Derby line-up would be - and now our chief football writer Steve Nicholson has had his say on the matter.

Steve has gone for reigning player of the year Scott Carson in goal, with a back four (right to left) of Andre Wisdom, Richard Keogh, Curtis Davies and Craig Forsyth.

He has opted for a midfield trio of Tom Huddlestone, Bradley Johnson and Craig Bryson, with Chris Martin up front flanked by Johnny Russell and Andreas Weimann on the wings.

Steve Nicholson's Derby team to face Sunderland

Explaining his decisions, Steve said: "Scott Carson is the player of the year and he got my vote. I thought he was outstanding last season and is Derby's first-choice keeper, so there is no doubt about that position.

"Andre Wisdom has come in this summer and I think he will strengthen the right-back position.

"Then you've got the skipper, Richard Keogh, alongside another new arrival, Curtis Davies, at centre-back.

"I thought Craig Forsyth was missed last season when he was out injured, and I would go for him at left-back.

Craig Forsyth in action for Derby against TSG 1899 Hoffenheim (Image: Andy Clarke)

"If Gary Rowett goes for a 4-3-3, quite clearly, Tom Huddlestone will be in the middle of the midfield trio.

"He will be the anchor and the ball will go through him a lot of the time.

"Alongside him, Bradley Johnson looks like he will get the nod and from what we have seen in pre-season, he deserves to.

"Then it looks like it's between Jacob Butterfield and Craig Bryson for the other place.

"I like Jacob Butterfield. I think he is a very good footballer.

"And we know what Craig Bryson offers - he's got the legs and can get up and down the pitch.

Craig Bryson in action against Hoffenheim (Image: Andy Clarke)

"I think the key is to get the balance right and, on this occasion, I would go for Bryson.

"The focal point of the attack has to be Chris Martin. He has done so well for Derby in the past. He has had his critics but is still capable of scoring goals at Championship level.

"In a 4-3-3, my two wide men would be Johnny Russell on the right and Andreas Weimann on the left, in front of the likes of Ikechi Anya and Mason Bennett.

"If I'd gone for a 4-2-3-1, I would have had David Nugent or Matej Vydra just off Chris Martin.

"In some ways, I would like to see Derby move away from the 4-3-3 formation but I totally understand why Gary Rowett is still looking at that, because much of the squad is built for 4-3-3."

Whilst I see what your saying and personally would be looking for someway to either get Nugent or Vydra on the pitch with Martin, personally I don't think we have got the right players to make it work. To make a formation like what you are talking about work you'd need two very athletic midfielders alongside huddlestone to cover defensively for essentially playing with three strikers otherwise it would be too easy for the opposition to attack out wide. 

433 gives us the best balance right now and gives us a solid platform to build upon. I don't think it will be particularlt exciting but I think we will have enough to grind out wins.

Just now, brady1993 said:

Whilst I see what your saying and personally would be looking for someway to either get Nugent or Vydra on the pitch with Martin, personally I don't think we have got the right players to make it work. To make a formation like what you are talking about work you'd need two very athletic midfielders alongside huddlestone to cover defensively for essentially playing with three strikers otherwise it would be too easy for the opposition to attack out wide. 

433 gives us the best balance right now and gives us a solid platform to build upon. I don't think it will be particularlt exciting but I think we will have enough to grind out wins.

Good post mate. 

We could always switch in the game. 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Too be honest what I expect is to start with same lineup as against hoffenheim and if we are losing/drawing take off Butterfield for Vydra.

You mean Russell or Wiemann but yes that's how I expect Rowett to go at Stadium of Light 

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

You mean Russell or Wiemann but yes that's how I expect Rowett to go at Stadium of Light 

It could be that but no I meant Butterfield.  If we are struggling I think one of the three in middle will likely make way for another striker. If wiemann or Russell go off it will be for Bennett or anya 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

It could be that but no I meant Butterfield.  If we are struggling I think one of the three in middle will likely make way for another striker. If wiemann or Russell go off it will be for Bennett or anya 

Oh right I get you now .

I am looking  forward to the game tomorrow .

Up the Rams 

433 for now with what we've got

4231 if and when Thorne returns to play alongside Huddlestone

we really are weak in the wide forwards area, weimann and russell are probably best of the bad bunch at the minute

only other headache for Rowett is Bryson or Butterfield, i suspect he'll go with Bryson tomorrow for the extra legs away from home

I'm sorry if this is too negative or unfair, but I just cannot get excited about the fact that we are going into the first game of the new season potentially playing 4-3-3, with Weimann and Russell as our two widemen. The only time I've enjoyed watching us play so far under Rowett has been when we've played 4-2-3-1, with Vydra behind the striker, and I'm not sure how that promising new style of play has managed to mould back into the old way.

4-3-3 has been good to us. Especially when we've had the components to make it work. But a 4-3-3 with no Thorne, no Hughes and especially no Ince? That doesn't sound good to me. I could follow Rowett's thinking, in getting rid of Hughes and Ince, if they no longer matched the style of play he wanted. But by all accounts (the Hoffenheim game included), the style of play doesn't really seem to be changing at all? He just wants us to make less passes. Great.

Again, I'm sorry if this is a somewhat ultra-negative point of view to have at this point in the season. I know the transfer window hasn't closed yet, and that the landscape could be very different by the end of August. But this is just how I'm feeling at the moment, and Rowett's comments in his interview this morning (i.e the dulling down of a need to bring in new attacking players) has coloured be somewhat uninspired. 

1 minute ago, DerbyRevolution said:

433 for now with what we've got

4231 if and when Thorne returns to play alongside Huddlestone

we really are weak in the wide forwards area, weimann and russell are probably best of the bad bunch at the minute

only other headache for Rowett is Bryson or Butterfield, i suspect he'll go with Bryson tomorrow for the extra legs away from home

I suspect you might be right regarding Bryson. Personally id have Johnson make way if Bryson were to come otherwise I don't think you have enough ability in the middle of the park to control a game.

Archived