Starting XI's - Predictions

RamsPolls

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson

Wisdom         Keogh                 Davies       Forsyth

Huddlestone                  Johnson

Russell                          Vydra                         Weimann         

Martin

Mitchell, Nugent, Bennett, Baird, Butterfield, Bryson, Elsnick

Not much variation in most of the suggested teams, so barring new signings, the starting IX will probably be fairly similar to the above.

Of course G.R. may throw a spanner in the works and go with a completely different formation, and even with this formation or similar, we could still see a totally different animal from recent seasons with G.R. changing things like tempo, pressing and distribution etc.

7 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Scott Carson

Andre Wisdom   Richard Keogh   Curtis Davies   Craig Forsyth

Tom Huddlestone                         Bradley Johnson

Mason Bennett            David Nugent              Andreas Weimann

Chris Martin

Deliberating on Baird over Wisdom and Blackman over Bennett but that's pretty much my choice too.

Have to say I'd go with the same lineup as the OP, although I'd be tempted to have vydra over Nugent playing behind Martin, think that partnership will work better. Have to say that if there's no wingers in by that game tho we're in trouble, only Weimann has really looked up to anything decent in pre season, Russell has been even worse than last year

Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth; Russell, Huddlestone, Bryson, Anya; Nugent, Martin

I'd edge my best on that at the moment. Although, I could see both wingers being replaced depending on who and when we get a body or two through the door. Bryson could also be replaced by any of the other centre midfielders in our squad. 

I must admit, I still see Keogh leaving before the start of the season and us going: Baird, Wisdom, Davies, Forsyth at the back. I hope not, though. 

Right now

Carson

wisdom      Keogh       Davies    Forsyth

Thorne(hopefully:whistle:)     hudds

Russell       Nugent      Weimann

Martin

More likely to be Johnson instead of George. Also would hope to bring in two new wingers, Lawrence and jota (we can dream) 

4 hours ago, Edinburgh ram said:

Right now

Carson

wisdom      Keogh       Davies    Forsyth

Thorne(hopefully:whistle:)     hudds

Russell       Nugent      Weimann

Martin

More likely to be Johnson instead of George. Also would hope to bring in two new wingers, Lawrence and jota (we can dream) 

Interesting that this isn't the first team which has completely left out last year's midfield three of Bryson, Butterfield and Johnson.

I think that at least one of those three could go before the window.

I don't want to name a team because I think there will be further changes but I hope we can get the personnel for a 4-1-3-2 formation with Huddlestone holding in front of a solid looking back four and with Nugent supporting Martin.

Carson

Wisdom     Keogh     Davies     Forsyth

Huddlestone    Butterfield

Russell                    Anya

Martin    Nugent

Obviously Thorne, Shackell, Lowe won't be ready and I expect Vydra, Bent and Blackman will also miss out due to injuries. Rowett is a fan of Butterfield, so he'll start. Bennett will be an impact sub. Russell and Anya both work hard defensively, which will be important away at Sunderland.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd want:

Carson
Wisdom    Keogh        Davies     Forsyth
Bennett Huddlestone Johnson Weimann
                  Martin        Vydra

I think we'll get:
                         Carson
                     Huddlestone
         Butterfield              Johnson
Russell                                       Weimann
                         Martin

11 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I'd want:

Carson
Bennett Huddlestone Johnson Weimann
                  Martin        Vydra

I think we'll get:
                         Carson
                     Huddlestone
                         Martin

4-4-2? You're mad. You'd get over run in midfield if Sunderland play 3 in the middle. 4-4-2 only works if the other team play it as well. 

26 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

4-4-2? You're mad. You'd get over run in midfield if Sunderland play 3 in the middle. 4-4-2 only works if the other team play it as well. 

Yes, I remember absolutely dominating Burnley, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield, Watford, Leicester and Brighton in recent years when we've played them, to name but a few teams who have dabbled with 4-4-2 in the Championship who have kicked our arses and got promoted.

It's not really a hard and fast rule. You're more likely to have more of the play when you have 3 in the middle of the park, but Rowett's football is hardly possession based. Every shape has it's problems but, from what I understand, Rowett wants his teams to change shape to adapt to situations in the games.

40 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Well when we played with 1 extra midfielder it looked like we had 1 less after getting bullied. Its not how many you play its who you play

Assuming no signings, I'd go with:

Carson

Wisdom  Keogh  Davies  Forsyth     

Huddlestone

Bryson  Butters  Johnson

Martin  Nugent           

Sod width - overrated.  Keep it narrow. Flood the midfield. Keep it tight.  If Russell, Weimann and Anya aren't good enough (not my words) then don't play them.  Tactical genius me, I've won gazzilions of leagues on FM, I know my stuff. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

I think we'll get:
                         Carson
                     Huddlestone
                         Martin

What he said

Archived