Matty James

Derbylad01

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, babylon said:

James back to fitness and his best is instantly above King and Amartey for starters. And would give Drinkwater a run for his money. You might be better going for a loan on Amartey, I think he's got potential, just very raw and needs game time.

Amartey! I'd take him in heartbeat. His best position imo is at CB he was amazing at afcon in that position. Amazing pace too! No way we'll get him though but I'd take James for sure he's quality (if he remains injury free) 

8 minutes ago, Bosshogg said:

Amartey! I'd take him in heartbeat. His best position imo is at CB he was amazing at afcon in that position. Amazing pace too! No way we'll get him though but I'd take James for sure he's quality (if he remains injury free) 

if we decided to loan Amartey out you could well be favourites

4 hours ago, babylon said:

I've obviously not seen enough of Hughes to compare. But James I always thought was our most important player, if he wasn't in the middle we struggled massively. I would wager our win percentages with and without showed the same.

Under appreciated by a few Leicester fans as he's not one to be lashing them in from 30 yards or trying hollywood passes. He's just a very classy player, uses the ball very well. Big unit and strong, good tackler and good at breaking forward.

Just a couple of comments by Barnsley fans from last season. Keep in mind this is a bloke who hadn't played for 18 months when he went there.  Plenty more like this on their boards.

"Agreed. Absolute class above most we've seen in this league all season."

"Graceful and beautiful to watch. Poetry in motion. Makes the very difficult look very easy and effortless. Thanks Matty."

"Natural born footballer. Different physique, bit the way he moves around the pitch, and goes past players, James reminds me a lot of Peter Beardsley."

"He's played like a player who wanted to be at this club. We managed to get the luxury of a Premier League player at a midtable Championship level. He's been a class apart in every game."

"James has been the classiest player we have had for absolute ages."

"Matty James is sheer class and it has been a pleasure to see him play"

Sounds like our very own GT , do we need two? Yes please 

3 hours ago, inter politics said:

Yeah, this story does kind of smack of 'lets put pressure on the club to get my new contract sorted'.

It's difficult, as you want to get players in and the team settled but not for the sake of it. Do you wait for Huddlestone to come down in wages/see if Prem clubs are interested? Do you wait for Leicester to decide what they're doing with James & Lawrence? Do you wait to see if Jota has Prem interest? It's easy to be strung along (not intentionally) and miss out on other potential targets whilst you wait.

It seems to be a particularly messy transfer market this summer. We just HAVE to avoid the panic buying that occurred quite abit in the past couple of years. I feel confident that Rowett will know all his targets inside & out. I haven't had that feeling since Nigel (Clough!) left.

I bet he even knows which bit of his foot he uses to control the ball.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

broke his leg when at United but he isn't someone that is always picking up niggles

Having looked at his stats from last year, it appears he played in every game for Barnsley once he joined them, except one where he was at the birth of his child. 

I've read their forum and Leicester's and not really seen a bad word for him. The same on twitter. Barnsley fans think he was their best player once he signed and Leicester fans want him in their first team. 

Rare to get such universal approval. 

Please make this happen, Mel.

2 hours ago, admira said:

He was a legend!

Whichever club he went to !!  An irresistable 'bit of rough'.............. Now in Oz ........one might say a fiiting place for him..........and sometimes used as 'our man in Oz' by TalkSport.    And YES he has got the accent ........

6 hours ago, babylon said:

As it stands you've got absolutely no chance of getting him unless he wants to leave. By all accounts he's happy though and wants to fight for his place.

In our promotion season he was one of our best and most important players, he kept Drinkwater out of the team in the first premier league season until his injury. If he manages to prove himself again he could find him starting quite easily. If he gets close to his previous levels in the current market he's a £10-£15m player any day of the week.

Fun you muddy funster

This would be a really exciting signing. To be fair, all the targets seem to make perfect sense and show a deal of ambition too - Jota, Lawrence, Tom and Matty, all cracking players and easy enough to see any of them adding some real quality to the squad. Thinking about having all of them join (totally unrealistic, I know) makes me quite moist.

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

This would be a really exciting signing. To be fair, all the targets seem to make perfect sense and show a deal of ambition too - Jota, Lawrence, Tom and Matty, all cracking players and easy enough to see any of them adding some real quality to the squad. Thinking about having all of them join (totally unrealistic, I know) makes me quite moist.

Agreed, seems to be targeting positions we the fans have be crying out for to be improved on for years. Gives me confidence, just hope we can pull off the deals we want

Class player, good age, would give us balance. Would be really excited about this. Ironically his only goal for Barnsley was at Pride Park, no one picked him up for a header. 

Sadly wont happen if he wants to stay put, would be happy with Huddlestone but due to age predominantly would prefer James

12 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Agreed, seems to be targeting positions we the fans have be crying out for to be improved on for years. Gives me confidence, just hope we can pull off the deals we want

Spot on - after the totally scattergun approach under Old Blockhead this is a massive breath of fresh air. That said, there will be competition for all the players we're targeting and I hope fans won't be getting on the club's back if we struggle to land these guys. Frankly, it's a big ask and I suspect much will come down to how successful GR is at getting sought after players to buy into the vision. I'd like to think this might prove one of his specialities but only time will tell. 

Archived