Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Either way that suggests that his career will be finished because playing Huddlestone and Thorne together in a midfield 2 would be suicide. There would be no need for Thorne anymore if Huddlestone plays well. Thorne may be eased back in but what happens afterwards? Neither player would be happy sitting on the bench.They're too similar which is what Rowett keeps saying he is against.

I guess Huddlestone could be uaed in the main this season to let Thorne build his fitness and strength, then next season Thorne would be the main player again.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Judging by the fact that we got a hamstring injury less than a week after starting full training. It shouldn't happen. Minor injuries are common after long term injuries, but if the minor injuries occur soon after engaging in full time training again, it suggests that the injury wasn't full attended and his muscles weren't trained for intense exercises again.

Have you got any evidence for that ? Because otherwise I have to disagree, surely the most likely time for somebody to pick up a minor injury is starting back up in full time training after a long lay off. Rehab and physical training can only account for so much, football presents dynamic and unpredictable challenges on the body. The only true way to be completely ready for it physically is by playing it.

I think people are getting worked up about an injury that isn't worth it.  5-7 days is a real minor lay off and if it was any other player we wouldn't bat an eyelid at it.

I think there is a difference between career done and bringing in a viable defensive midfield option. The Championship is games thick and fast so you need options. There is no other option in the current squad so GR is looking to add. There is nothing sinister about this. Just common sense. Whether Huddlestone is the right man will remain to be seen but we do need a body in there. 

32 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think if we sign him, it will sadly confirm that Thorne's Derby career is close to being over unfortunately. Yes his hamstring injury is only a grade 1 but they can quickly escalate if not properly attended. Kompany and Aguero's hamstring injuries for Man City originally started off as minor before eventually escalating. 

Remembering the obvious Thorne has a selling price as well and maybe some club wants to take the risk? - not that I think that is the case and maybe we want experienced cover in the midfield if whelan is to old and expensive and besides Huddlestone has spent most of his career in the premiership at spurs has played for England and is big tall and strong and can pass the football forwards to our attacking players which not many others can

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Have you got any evidence for that ? Because otherwise I have to disagree, surely the most likely time for somebody to pick up a minor injury is starting back up in full time training after a long lay off. Rehab and physical training can only account for so much, football presents dynamic and unpredictable challenges on the body. The only true way to be completely ready for it physically is by playing it.

I think people are getting worked up about an injury that isn't worth it.  5-7 days is a real minor lay off and if it was any other player we wouldn't bat an eyelid at it.

Raymond Verheijen. I'm not entirely fussed if Thorne is only injured for 7-10 days but I very much doubt he will be out only for that period. Someone posted a Rowett interview the other day where he suggested that some players won't be fit for the start of the season but we need to give them support and it was deduced that he meant Thorne. 

22 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

I think there is a difference between career done and bringing in a viable defensive midfield option. The Championship is games thick and fast so you need options. There is no other option in the current squad so GR is looking to add. There is nothing sinister about this. Just common sense. Whether Huddlestone is the right man will remain to be seen but we do need a body in there. 

Agree with you there, besides if his name was not Huddlestone or had not played at Derby as a very young player a lot of people would be viewing this differently 

30 years old huge premiership experience fairly cheap to buy, tall, strong, can pass the ball to anyone on the pitch oh and international caps for England to his name, but he can't run the fastest ! Well camara could run fast - great ! 

We would be lucky to get him! 

3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Yeah but like the football seasons, sometimes you cling to the hope, suppose as they say, it's the hope that kills ya!

That's the time you must keep on trying. Smile, what's the use of crying? You'll find that life is still worthwhile if you just smile. 

10 hours ago, Zag zig said:

You're not wrong but  it will partly be a sad day when he arrives too, as for me it just confirms G.T may never be expected or likely to be a ever present Ram; Rowett may even give up on him end of contract.

Now that would be really sad if Huddleston replaced a boy who could match his talent, but just can't stay injury free. No denying he'd be a good signing, just mixed emotions.

Have to sadly agree with you there. If Huddlestone signs, I can't really see us extending Thorne's contract beyond this season, as it expires in 2018.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Raymond Verheijen. I'm not entirely fussed if Thorne is only injured for 7-10 days but I very much doubt he will be out only for that period. Someone posted a Rowett interview the other day where he suggested that some players won't be fit for the start of the season but we need to give them support and it was deduced that he meant Thorne. 

The others were Shackell and Lowe

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The DET edited the Rowett interview to sound like Thorne won't be fit for the first game. They missed quite an important part of what Rowett said out.

The DET reported

He added: "It's a difficult one with him because he's coming back from such a long-term injury , we have to be a tiny bit more patient with him and to not expect, because he's such a good player, that he's going to be out there first game of the season."

The full interview ended

because he's such a good player, that he's going to be out there first game of the season and saunter through without any problems"

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Fair enough then, can't say I've read his book but I will take your word for it. However I'd still argue theres a large unpredictable element that comes with football injuries (I.e. small pulls and strains) like the one Thorne has apparently just picked. 

I think you right that Thorne was who Rowett might have been alluding too but personally I read that as Rowett saying that he should take his time and make sure he is 100% right. 

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Thorne picked up a hamstring strain season before last, was out for 2 games. Made 32, 2 off the bench, appearances that season before the broken leg, and after his second ACL.

Get rid of Thorne. He is so weak that his bones get broke by really bad tackles.

4 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Thorne picked up a hamstring strain season before last, was out for 2 games. Made 32, 2 off the bench, appearances that season before the broken leg, and after his second ACL.

To make same amount of games as he did last time will be good. 

more likely to be Shackell........not back in training yet..........Lowe iS training but not risked last night. His injuries are growth related acc. to GR recently.

Incidently where was Rawson last night ?   Has he asked for a transfer so he can play football regularly somewhere else??

Archived