Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Zag zig said:

You're not wrong but  it will partly be a sad day when he arrives too, as for me it just confirms G.T may never be expected or likely to be a ever present Ram; Rowett may even give up on him end of contract.

Now that would be really sad if Huddleston replaced a boy who could match his talent, but just can't stay injury free. No denying he'd be a good signing, just mixed emotions.

I think Stevie Wonder can see that, unfortunately. 

I think whats really exciting about this is, if the reported fee is accurate, we're going to be spending a similar fee on him now as we got for him from Spurs when he was 18!

7 hours ago, lioncoeur said:

I actually think he didn't want to play as a CB, but it's more likely he was forced to play as a CB, as I am remembering it.

He has always seen himself more as a midfielder than as a defender. But George Burley thought differently at the time.

Thought it was down to who was fit and available out of the CMs and CBs then Tom was put wherever the weakest link would be if he wasn't played.

I think if we sign him, it will sadly confirm that Thorne's Derby career is close to being over unfortunately. Yes his hamstring injury is only a grade 1 but they can quickly escalate if not properly attended. Kompany and Aguero's hamstring injuries for Man City originally started off as minor before eventually escalating. 

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Not sure I follow the "Thorne is done if we sign Huddlestone" haven't we been saying since February 2015 that we needed cover in DM?

Highly doubt he'd come here to sit on the bench when premier league clubs are after him.

12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think if we sign him, it will sadly confirm that Thorne's Derby career is close to being over unfortunately. Yes his hamstring injury is only a grade 1 but they can quickly escalate if not properly attended. Kompany and Aguero's hamstring injuries for Man City originally started off as minor before eventually escalating. 

What gives you the impression that Thorne's injury is being 'not properly attended'?

Just now, McLovin said:

Highly doubt he'd come here to sit on the bench when premier league clubs are after him.

Yes but if we sign him we aren't depending on Thorne to play every game, we can ease him into it and he can have a rest when he needs it without a meltdown that he isn't involved. Remember the meltdown when Wassall rested him for a game saying he wasn't fit enough to play?

16 minutes ago, rynny said:

Thought it was down to who was fit and available out of the CMs and CBs then Tom was put wherever the weakest link would be if he wasn't played.

I am sure I have read something about it, as he was asked by some journalist in one of his interviews many years ago. I don't remember anymore, where was it and when exactly and whether he was already with Spurs or still in Derby.

I have tried to find, but I couldn't find his performance sheet from his Derby days, but he actually did play as a CB for Spurs several times: FA Premier League 2007/2008 - 3, FA Cup 2007/2008 - 1, UEFA Cup 2008/2009 - 2, League Cup 2009/2010 - 1, League Cup 2009/2010 - 2, FA Premier League 2010/2011 - 1.

So principally you are right, he probably played as a CB if he was asked to do so at the time.

tomhuddlestone.jpg

Here he is taking some extra oxygen which he needs, before signing a new contract for Derby

Just now, eddie said:

What gives you the impression that Thorne's injury is being 'not properly attended'?

Judging by the fact that we got a hamstring injury less than a week after starting full training. It shouldn't happen. Minor injuries are common after long term injuries, but if the minor injuries occur soon after engaging in full time training again, it suggests that the injury wasn't full attended and his muscles weren't trained for intense exercises again.

I know he would mainly come in as a CDM but he is another player who if really needed can play CB, think he has played there the odd time for Hull.

Would fit into the smaller squad idea Rowett mentioned with a few being able to play different positions.

If 2 CB's were to leave out of Keogh, Shackell, Pearce that would still leave us with 1 of them + Davies Wisdom Baird Forsyth Rawson Huddlestone able to play there.

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

Yes but if we sign him we aren't depending on Thorne to play every game, we can ease him into it and he can have a rest when he needs it without a meltdown that he isn't involved. Remember the meltdown when Wassall rested him for a game saying he wasn't fit enough to play?

Either way that suggests that his career will be finished because playing Huddlestone and Thorne together in a midfield 2 would be suicide. There would be no need for Thorne anymore if Huddlestone plays well. Thorne may be eased back in but what happens afterwards? Neither player would be happy sitting on the bench.They're too similar which is what Rowett keeps saying he is against.

14 minutes ago, rynny said:

Not sure I follow the "Thorne is done if we sign Huddlestone" haven't we been saying since February 2015 that we needed cover in DM?

This. For years we have been bemoaning the fact the we didn't have cover and as we are linked to one Thorne is done. If anything I think it will help as we would t be so reliant on Thorne from the off, it's a long season with a lot of sat/tues games. If Thornes fit he will play. Haven't we learnt over the past years about rushing players back and losing them again for long periods. 

On 10/07/2017 at 09:58, Leicester Ram said:

Caught in two minds on this.

On one hand, he's a quality player, very intelligent on the ball, has an unreal range of passing while also being big and strong. He's a similar type of DM to Thorne in that regard.

But we already have Thorne. I really don't buy into the 'unreliable Thorne' narrative. The bloke got past his ACL problems and played a full season, regularly featuring under both managers. Having your leg broken by some clogger from Ipswich isn't being injury prone, it's bad luck. Same thing happened to Thorne that happened to Alan Judge.

Huddlestone's old, dropping down from the PL and on massive wages. Isn't that what Rowett said we're avoiding? People got in right hissy fits about being "lied to" by McClaren, why is this okay? I think Davies is a good signing, don't get me wrong but he's a good signing for this season and that's it. Past then you're thinking about him losing his legs, injury issues and the fact you can't sell him on. We're in a tricky situation with Shackell right now after a similar transfer.

Also, I look at our midfield and really think we need an energetic DM. Thorne and Huddlestone would be the slowest midfield duo in the league! Who out of those two would be pressurising the opposition or getting up to help the attackers. For me, if you bring in Huddlestone you're in a situation where your two best DM's are players you can't play together.

Good points well made but could it be that he's being considered to play alongside Curtis Davies in defence ? He actually looked quite good there when he did it for Hull last season.I'm unsure if this rumour's true but,if it is,£2m isn't that excessive.Anyway,I thought Gary was looking to strengthen our attacking options and he did say a couple of days ago that there's some more ins and outs to come yet. Oh,the suspense of it all!?

Archived