Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

3 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Career done? Dear oh dear. His career ain't 'done' at all. 

Please read again, I said  *if* we sign Huddlestone. Rowett has stated many times that he wants the players in his squad to be different. Thorne and Huddlestone are near enough the same type of player with the same attributes and weaknesses.  They'd be no point in having Huddlestone if Thorne was healthy. 

Everyone's saying that we have needed a back up defensive midfielder for years which I completely agree but he doesnt have to be in the exact same mould as a Thorne and I'd doubt Huddlestone would want to come here to be a back up if he has premier league offers, he'd come to be a starter. A defensive midfielder could be in the mould of someone who is more agile like a Ryan Woods, Irvine or Matty James. 

However, the fact that we are supposedly targeting someone who is the same type of player as Thorne suggests to me that Rowett doesn't trust Thorne, especially as he has gone on record saying that he does NOT want players who are the same.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Please read again, I said  *if* we sign Huddlestone. Rowett has stated many times that he wants the players in his squad to be different. Thorne and Huddlestone are near enough the same type of player with the same attributes and weaknesses.  They'd be no point in having Huddlestone if Thorne was healthy. 

Everyone's saying that we have needed a back up defensive midfielder for years which I completely agree but he doesnt have to be in the exact same mould as a Thorne and I'd doubt Huddlestone would want to come here to be a back up if he has premier league offers, he'd come to be a starter. A defensive midfielder could be in the mould of someone who is more agile like a Ryan Woods, Irvine or Matty James. 

However, the fact that we are supposedly targeting someone who is the same type of player as Thorne suggests to me that Rowett doesn't trust Thorne, especially as he has gone on record saying that he does NOT want players who are the same.

I've got a feeling Rowett quite likes the 4231 formation. 

Carson 

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth

Thorne Huddlestone 

Lawrence Butterfield Johnson

Martin/Nugent 

Not exactly that. But just an idea of what we could do. 

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Carson 

Thorne Huddlestone 

Russell Jota Lawrence 

Martin

Would like a bit of this. 

16 minutes ago, rynny said:

Didn't Russell play on with a broken or fractured leg in his first season?

There's massive difference. With fractures in a feet you can play, eventhough it hurts like hell. But it's doable as long as you don't take your shoe off (It won't go back in). But with completely broken leg you simply can't stand on it. With the shock it doesn't hurt though, just feels awkward if you try to walk and bone tries to come through skin.

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Carson 

Thorne Huddlestone 

Martin/Nugent 

I'm also a fan of the 4-2-3-1 but Thorne alongside Huddlestone wouldn't be very balanced imo and would get overrun a lot in there. Two controlling anchors next to each other never really tends to work.

Both players need agile players around them. Out of what we have at the moment, Thorne alongside Johnson is probably the most balanced, although still can be improved upon.

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

There's massive difference. With fractures in a feet you can play, eventhough it hurts like hell. But it's doable as long as you don't take your shoe off (It won't go back in). But with completely broken leg you simply can't stand on it. With the shock it doesn't hurt though, just feels awkward if you try to walk and bone tries to come through skin.

It was definitely a broken leg Russell had.

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/johnny-russell-injury-open-door-mason-bennett/story-19950290-detail/story.html

He played the full 90 of the Leeds game in which he broke it.

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Carson 

Thorne Huddlestone 

Martin/Nugent 

Yes 4231 is likely and think it'll be like this 

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Davies Fozzy

Thorne Huddlestone

Russell Nugent** new LW

Martin**

** Switch over the position for Nugent and Martin it's still decent team IMO. I'm confident that Keogh And Davies will be excellent CB partnership.

How come when it was Whelan there was no mention of Thorne's career being over? Now it's Huddlestone we're after suddenly Thorne will never play again, probably should just cancel his contract now, save everyone's time.

Rowett clearly wants a DM with experience for a bargain. I'd say it has nothing to do with Thorne's fitness but everything to do with having a player who can get his foot on the ball and manage a game.

Just now, Leicester Ram said:

How come when it was Whelan there was no mention of Thorne's career being over? Now it's Huddlestone we're after suddenly Thorne will never play again, probably should just cancel his contract now, save everyone's time.

Rowett clearly wants a DM with experience for a bargain. I'd say it has nothing to do with Thorne's fitness but everything to do with having a player who can get his foot on the ball and manage a game.

Spot on.

12 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Carson 

Thorne Huddlestone 

Martin/Nugent 

I was fairly okay with that line-up, until I saw Johnson at LM and my eyes started to bleed

4 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

My point is because Thorne and Huddlestone are near enough the same type of player with the same strengths and weaknesses and Rowett stated that he wants players who are different in the squad. I'd like a different type of defensive midfielder next  to Thorne like Irvine, Matty James or Ryan Woods(who I know you like).

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

It was definitely a broken leg Russell had.

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/johnny-russell-injury-open-door-mason-bennett/story-19950290-detail/story.html

He played the full 90 of the Leeds game in which he broke it.

Aah, it was just a fibula. Usually broken leg term is used, if you broke your tibia or both of those bones.

Fibula heals in 6 weeks, broken leg closer to 6 months, which tells about difference of the injuries.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

My point is because Thorne and Huddlestone are near enough the same type of player with the same strengths and weaknesses and Rowett stated that he wants players who are different in the squad. I'd like a different type of defensive midfielder next  to Thorne like Irvine, Marty James or Ryan Woods(who I know you like).

I agree, I'd like that sort of player too but I think Rowett sees Bryson as that player, which is fair enough. There's no way we're shifting Bryson on the wages he's on and he's a top bloke with a great attitude about Derby so it's hardly a burden to keep him around.

The way I see it you have your big, strong DM who can distribute then an energetic DM next to them. I see Johnson and Thorne as the big DM and Bryson as our only energetic DM.

I think Rowett sees Johnson and Bryson as energetic DM's, so he thinks we need another big win everything DM. Hence Huddlestone. He has mentioned that he thinks Johnson's better getting forward etc so I probably should have seen it coming.

6 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I agree, I'd like that sort of player too but I think Rowett sees Bryson as that player, which is fair enough. There's no way we're shifting Bryson on the wages he's on and he's a top bloke with a great attitude about Derby so it's hardly a burden to keep him around.

The way I see it you have your big, strong DM who can distribute then an energetic DM next to them. I see Johnson and Thorne as the big DM and Bryson as our only energetic DM.

I think Rowett sees Johnson and Bryson as energetic DM's, so he thinks we need another big win everything DM. Hence Huddlestone. He has mentioned that he thinks Johnson's better getting forward etc so I probably should have seen it coming.

Was going to say almost exactly the same thing. It makes more sense in the context that Rowett thinks we are set for energetic DMs.  Personally Id rather bring someone in because I'm not really happy with either Bryson (a bit weak in the challenge and better further up) or Johnson (too poor on the ball) playing there.

I would be happy with huddlestone, bryson, Johnson and Thorne. 2 sitters who can pick a pass and 2 runners who can burst forward and score goals. The odd one out is Butterfield, can neither tackle or burst forward. BUT, he is better in a different formation to 4231 such as next to a runner in a 433.

10 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I would be happy with huddlestone, bryson, Johnson and Thorne. 2 sitters who can pick a pass and 2 runners who can burst forward and score goals. The odd one out is Butterfield, can neither tackle or burst forward. BUT, he is better in a different formation to 4231 such as next to a runner in a 433.

I feel like Hanson works better in the 4-2-3-1 system too - Not an out and out DM or a box-to-box runner - But can tackle and can pick a pass, plus has a high work rate

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Still not convinced he is good enough to be a first team regular for us to be honest. Would love to be proven wrong.

I like everything I've seen of him as a central midfielder - But I want him to get consistent time in a single position - I worry for young, versatile players as they end up being used to plug gaps and don't get chance to learn one position really well

Archived