Signed: Tom Huddlestone 2 year deal

DcFc Dyycheee

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Correct about Huddlestone but in terms of Lawrence £6 million is a lot for someone who has had one decent loan spell at the lower end of the championship- now it may well prove a bargain long term but I do think it is a lot of money - but when we compare it at £4.5 million for our will Hughes and watfords Anya ! 

Hughes wasn't  £4.5 million though ! Don't believe everything you read ! Plus forward players as a rule go for more than midfield players. Again the markets moved on a year and it's silly season so Anya fee again is uncomparable. 

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why would you not want Huddlestone back ? We were crying out for a commanding centre midfielder last season who can pick out a 40 yard pass. Big yes from me. 

£6 million for Lawrence is not expensive in this market. 

I won't say I don't want him back but I certainly have big concerns. 

My main worry is his mobility. At the minute we have 4 CMs in the squad and I think out of them you could only really describe Bryson as energetic. My concern would be that Huddlestone would compound this issue and we'd get overrun against any team with a mobile midfield (if you want to see this in action go and watch the games where we beat Hull the other season).

Also I am concerned that this is another aging player coming down from the premiership with big wages and who will have next to zero resell value, and exactly the opposite of who Rowett was supposedly going to target.

With all that said hes undeniably a quality player but maybe not the *right* player for us at the moment.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Thanks for the update SDSR keep it up. Arfield is interesting one and I'd say yes to take him here also yes please for Ryan Kent. 

Both of them is what we need. 

Wasn't Barrow played for Forest on loan? 

Sure he went to Leeds on loan last season, Loaned to forest in 2015

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

My main worry is his mobility. At the minute we have 4 CMs in the squad and I think out of them you could only really describe Bryson as energetic. My concern would be that Huddlestone would compound this issue and we'd get overrun against any team with a mobile midfield (if you want to see this in action go and watch the games where we beat Hull the other season).

He is not the most mobile and the fastest player on the pitch, but he has "know-how" - technique, passing range and he's also playing with both feet, while other DCFC midfielders are just simply ordinary runners (Bryson, Johnson, Butterfield).

None of them is a strong tackler, which is maybe missing point to all of them.

I thought Rowett would be coming in to fix us, because when it comes to transfers, we are pretty broken. I haven't got the exact quote but Rowett's aim was to stop bringing in 30+ ex-Prem players on high wages. Arfield and Huddlestone are both around that age, and they just represents players that will only do a job for a season or two and will then have next to no resale value. Taking a chance on players like Irvine, Adams, Watkins, Lawrence is worth it not only for what they give at the time, but also for their potential contribution and in the worst case, resale value. 

If Rowett is banking on promotion like years and managers gone by and we don't make it, given the look of the current squad, we won't be challenging in a few years.

9 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

I thought Rowett would be coming in to fix us, because when it comes to transfers, we are pretty broken. I haven't got the exact quote but Rowett's aim was to stop bringing in 30+ ex-Prem players on high wages. Arfield and Huddlestone are both around that age, and they just represents players that will only do a job for a season or two and will then have next to no resale value. Taking a chance on players like Irvine, Adams, Watkins, Lawrence is worth it not only for what they give at the time, but also for their potential contribution and in the worst case, resale value. 

If Rowett is banking on promotion like years and managers gone by and we don't make it, given the look of the current squad, we won't be challenging in a few years.

I know what you're saying but we do have a lot of attacking players with pace. What we lack is players in midfield who are good at absorbing pressure and keeping possession. Huddlestone and Arfield are both good in this respect.

We look favourite to land Lawrence and we already have Nugent, Blackman, Anya, Weimann et al with pace on the break. 

In the past we've had players with speedy feet but poor judgment around the final shot or pass. Bringing in more experienced professionals is the best way to get the most from your pacier players.

2 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why would you not want Huddlestone back ? We were crying out for a commanding centre midfielder last season who can pick out a 40 yard pass. Big yes from me. 

£6 million for Lawrence is not expensive in this market. 

Agree entirely with the Lawrence comment, especially when there's florist rejects who can only manage half a season going for 14 million.

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

The good news is most people have been saying we need 2 new wingers and a CM and Gary agrees.

If we're getting 2 wingers I think we need to get 2 of Russell, Blackman, Anya, Vydra or Weimann out of the door.

4 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

If we're getting 2 wingers I think we need to get 2 of Russell, Blackman, Anya, Vydra or Weimann out of the door.

Blackman and Weimann out of the door then. 

Judging from Rowett's comments in the 10 player inquiries article it looks like either Huddlestone isn't first choice or the 2m release clause is a load of nonsense.

If Huddlestone was first choice and had the release clause then him being abroad with Hull makes no difference and we would have met his release clause by now.

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Judging from Rowett's comments in the 10 player inquiries article it looks like either Huddlestone isn't first choice or the 2m release clause is a load of nonsense.

If Huddlestone was first choice and had the release clause then him being abroad with Hull makes no difference and we would have met his release clause by now.

Not necessarily... Huddlestone is in Portugal without his family so we could have activated his release clause but waiting on a response from Huddlestone from personal terms. He will want to have a talk with his family to discuss whether they want to move away from Hull (Who wouldn't). But that may be the reason why he's not signing yet. Once Hull are back in the country and he can discuss the move further, we should be able to sign him. 

8 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Not necessarily... Huddlestone is in Portugal without his family so we could have activated his release clause but waiting on a response from Huddlestone from personal terms. He will want to have a talk with his family to discuss whether they want to move away from Hull (Who wouldn't). But that may be the reason why he's not signing yet. Once Hull are back in the country and he can discuss the move further, we should be able to sign him. 

He doesn't live in Hull - house near Grantham I understand so that shouldn't be causing any delay, that's assuming we are really after him.

13 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

You do realise Hudds lives in Notts?

Archived