Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LEICESTER CITY’S forgotten man Tom Lawrence is a £7 million target for cash-rich Derby County boss Gary Rowett.

Midfield magician Lawrence is wanted by Rowett as replacement for Tom Ince, sold to Huddersfield Town in a shake-up.

Lawrence was a big hit on loan from the Foxes in the past couple of years but now he could be sold and Derby hope to clinch a deal over the weekend.

Rowett has money to spend from the departures of Ince and Will Hughes and he also plans to do a deal with Brentford for talented Spaniard Jota.

The Rams will go to around £6 million for him as the skillful star is in the last year of his contract with the Bees.

Jota, 26, banged in 12 goals in 21 games in the Sky Bet Championship, with Brentford triggering the one-year option on his contract.

The 23-year-old revealed at the end of the campaign: “I’ve got a long summer ahead and we’ll see what happens.

“There’s a possibility of many different things, but I don’t know my future yet, I’ve got a lot of discussions to have.”

He found the back of the net 11 times in 36 games in all competitions for the Tractor Boys as they finished in 16th place in England’s second-tier.

http://ift.tt/2sTYEyi

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Isnt Lawrence also in the last yesr of his contract? Thought Jota price would be higher than Lawrence.

Yes.

21 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

We better not spend more on Lawrence than Jota. Like them both, but at the right price please.

Im comfortable spending more on Lawrence if Jota costs less than £7m tbf 

7 hours ago, Foxes Fan said:

Another reason why I can see us holding on to him is his versatility. He can play on either wing and up front. Pearson always liked to have 5-6 strikers to choose from and I imagine Shakespeare could be the same. 

As far as the price tag goes, I think he's worth (and I'm probably biased) between £7.5 - 10 million in the current market. He's 23, he scored and created plenty of goals in a poor Ipwich side last season and he's a Wales international. I'd imagine selling Ince and Hughes means you have some cash to spare.

That's interesting. Here he shipped out our only half-decent one.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Isnt Lawrence also in the last yesr of his contract? Thought Jota price would be higher than Lawrence.

Yes but we're paying for potential, does seem on the high side but if he has another season like last year, he's no longer potential and is worth 10 million plus, so a gamble worth taking imo

I'd be happy with Lawrence based on what I've read from Ipswich fans. I haven't seen a lot of him, but he's always stuck out as a very technical player when I have. It's good that he's had the season he has behind him, so it kills some doubts about his ability to impact games at this level. 

No signing is a guarantee, but he's an easy choice given his availability and form at this level last season.

I also hope we can get Jota over the line, too. 

He looks a hell of a player from the video, I know youtube vids only show the best bits but he produced everything in that video in the last season which is pretty impressive!

With Hughes and Ince going we need a player that can get us off our seats and he looks like one!!

Glowing reviews from Ipswich fans. I'll admit, I don't know much about him. I always enjoy hearing positive reports from other teams about potential signings, though I can't say I have too much background knowledge myself. Looks good on the video, but then don't all players when their highlights are shown? 

Sign him up. Exactly the sort of player we should go be going for - young, hungry and bags of talent. Not to mention, loads of room to improve. Looks much more of a team player than Ince though, which I can guess could be a good or a bad thing, depending on the circumstances. Don't expect him to carry the team when we're having an off day but, when we're on it, he'll shine.

Can't see us getting him for anything less than that quoted £7m though. Seems to be quite a bit of hype about him.

Archived