Darren Bent

DCFC1388

18 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

I don't think he'd take a pay cut because he knows he can sit on the bench and earn whatever he's on now. 

He has a year left here at very most. If he's on £25k a week and he's offered a move with a two-year contract on £15k a week, he's going to be earning more in the long run.

Plus it's not going to be all about money. If you see videos of DB, he works very hard to maintain his fitness in his own time. He has his own academy to give players a chance in the game they love, as it's the game he loves.

I don't personally see a place for him here, but that's not doubting he's a fantastic professional who would rather be playing than not, that's for sure.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bent is not the kind of footballer who wants to sit on the bench. Most footballers don't?

Have people forgotten his goal against Wolves?

The vitriol towards him on here is unbelievable. So glad this forum is not a fair reflection on Rams fans as a whole!!

12 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

I don't know the bloke personally, of course, but I think most human beings would happily accept the money for little work. Maybe even more so considering he's at the end of his career.

Bent won't be on £65k. If I had to estimate I'd say £25k. Whatever the case it'll be a lot for Ipswich (the only club I realistically see signing him, no matter what Turkish media says), who might not even consider him a regular starter.

So thats a 40k wage drop he would have taken if we go by reports in the media what he was on to your guess, that's not a small drop. If he was willing to take another 40k drop to join Ipswich that would leave him paying them 15k just for the privilege to play.

Without Googling I couldn't tell you what Ipswich's forward options are to say he could possibly command a regular starting place. You have to remember though not many players will be on xK pw and thats it, most will be on attendance, goal or even win bonuses which stack up. 

Chances of first team football here will be slim. Bent doesn't strike me as a stupid person and will know this. I would be very surprised if he effectively went on strike just to earn an extra 12 months of his current contract unwilling to take a penny less elsewhere. You never know those clubs will want you in 12 months.

I think he's done well for us but as we need to balance the books and he'd want first team football I think this will be a good move. We can't afford to have too many 20k-30k wages on the bench or not in the team. We've already got nugent, Martin, vydra, Blackman and Bennett competing for the forward roles. Maybe one of them can be off loaded too. Hopefully Blackman but I have a feeling Martin will be going too. 

I wouldn't mind seeing him off the wage bill, although he has scored some important goals for us. The rest of his game just isn't good enough for him to have a place in the starting 11 and he will be an expensive bench warmer.  

Sith Happens

People say he is a waste of space or dead weight but still scored 13 goals last season, which is more than Martin scored in a free flowing attacking Fulham side.

2 hours ago, RamBamFan said:

I don't know the bloke personally, of course, but I think most human beings would happily accept the money for little work. Maybe even more so considering he's at the end of his career.

Bent won't be on £65k. If I had to estimate I'd say £25k. Whatever the case it'll be a lot for Ipswich (the only club I realistically see signing him, no matter what Turkish media says), who might not even consider him a regular starter.

Or he could be thinking he has a choice of 1 year at 25k p/w and a chance of having to retire as no one comes in for him after, or on a vastly reduced wage or 2 seasons at 15k p/w.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah cos goals don't count for a striker! :thumbsup:

Looks he's not good enough imo that's it, throw in all the stats you want etc etc but the blokes not good enough and past it, cut our loses and move on 

13 hours ago, 86 points said:

Bent's best years may be behind him but not sure how that justifies some of the crass comments on this thread. It's not his fault the club bought him, offered him top wedge or gave him the length of contract they did. Jeez, give him a break!

Yes, probably fair 

But his decline last season was very frustrating. From morphing into a genuine hold up player mid-season under McClaren , he stopped doing that for some reason 

So he just wasn't trying enough.

And there's nothing like not trying enough to get peoples backs up 

Just now, Kennington Ram said:

I don't really like Darren Bent as a sub. He comes on in the 80th minute, gets called offside several times and then we either lose or don't turn a draw into a win. Every time!

I forgot that football was a team game so you're effectively pinning all of the blame onto Bent what about the other 10 players 

Thanks for the service, popped up with a few vital goals, c£2m will do nicely.

Will be behind Nugent and Vydra, judging by last season, and in all likelihood will be behind Martin. Scores goals, but unlike Martin and Nugent doesn't really bring in others. 

That said, he's been a model pro, don't think he'd let wages get in the way of playing time, unless its a massive drop.

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I forgot that football was a team game so you're effectively pinning all of the blame onto Bent what about the other 10 players 

Yes, it's crap we end up in those positions where he needs to come and salvage the game and that reflects badly on the team, but if he is brought on to salvage those points... Bent is responsible for timing his movement. He does it over and over again! This is a thread about Bent, and I just think his role as the 80th minute game changer isn't working that well.

I was always happy with Bent on the bench as our player to chuck on in the last 10 if we needed a goal. If your able to build pressure and keep getting the ball in the box he's got a good chance of getting on the end of a chance.

The problem for me is when we signed Nugent. He offers a lot more in build up play and also has that knack of nicking a goal and at a similar stage of his career.

We can't carry 2 players like that and Bent would be my choice to go.

Archived