Darren Bent

DCFC1388

14 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Whenever watching Darren Bent I always feel he can get something from nothing.

Me too.

The trouble is, with Bent on the pitch, we often play like the other ten players feel the same way.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't mock Darren Bents scoring record it is pretty decent, mind you Theo Robinson had a not bad scoring record in a much worse Derby team, now I am not comparing the two as players but neither really fitted into a system correctly, people say keep on the bench to nick a goal, but last season the majority of the times he came on, he was ineffective. He will likely see out his contract here and get the odd appereance before maybe retiring.

He seems like a decent guy, and not his fault Sam Rush offered him such a stupid contract from a DCFC point of view, who would turn down a three year deal at his age, I wouldn't

6 hours ago, David said:

"As is often the case with contracts if players play a certain amount of games it activates another year.

"Benty's got done in January but the club wanted to announce them before the end of the season.

"Bairdy is a little bit more recent, he has activated his as well.

"They are two good players who have contributed to the season - Benty's goals, Bairdy's performances - and they wil be part of the group next season."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/what-has-gary-rowett-said-about-darren-bent-s-contract-extension-at-derby-county/story-30300248-detail/story.html#pCsK15jS0l5a5cfS.99

It still feels like both were cock ups. I got the impression that the club was working on the assumption that both would go and were somewhat surprised that we had contract extension clauses which were triggered. It seems from bent's tweet that he found it funny that the extension was triggered. Rush departed within days. 

Bent is going to be 3rd choice next season and chat at around the time he signed suggested he is on £30k a week. That's too much to carry for a squad member.

Martin will get us more goals and a lot more assists, Nugent will get us as many goals, and create space for others to score. 

For me it's no coincidence that Ince and Bent end our top 2 goal scorers last season, and we finish with our worst goal tally for years. They may have scored the goals but they didn't help us establish a pattern of play that would lead to more chances and goals. Bent poached and did nothing else preventing us playing in right areas of the pitch, and Ince hogged all the play limiting opportunity for others. 

Not saying either is a bad player, Ince especially, but I question the argument that some seem to be making that our goals will all be gone by selling Ince and moving bent on. I actually think we will score more next season without them.

7 hours ago, Papahet said:

Goals goals goals...

Without Bents goals goals goals and without Inces goals goals goals we finished 3rd with the likes of Sammon and Bamford coming off the bench. How many goals goals goals did they score that season? Not a lot.

We have no identity with Bent in the side, just him standing around waiting for a chance. Literally he does fook all else but wait around.  Goals win games sure, but work rate, team work and effort also count and we've lacked those massively for awhile now.

We didn't have these pretty fancy names like Vydra, Ince, Bent and Weimann back in the 13/14 season and yet we played with a style and scored goals without a problem (bar Wembley) that season.

The squad is aging, the wage bill is through the roof. Bent, Shackell are big contributors to this

how the hell are you attributing the changes from end of 2013-14 (to today) on Bent being involved? There have been many factors, not least the changes in management and different team all around the different areas of the pitch.

To suggest Bent and Ince are to blame shows complete ignorance. The following season, key injuries and dips in form (most notably Grant, Hughes and Keogh in the run in) ruined our season.

45 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think he has done a decent job for us but getting 2 million for him is too good to turn down if true.

We haven't got a penny yet and I think we will end up like the camara situation but we can hope that we do get something back

21 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Bent is going to be 3rd choice next season and chat at around the time he signed suggested he is on £30k a week. That's too much to carry for a squad member.

Martin will get us more goals and a lot more assists, Nugent will get us as many goals, and create space for others to score. 

For me it's no coincidence that Ince and Bent end our top 2 goal scorers last season, and we finish with our worst goal tally for years. They may have scored the goals but they didn't help us establish a pattern of play that would lead to more chances and goals. Bent poached and did nothing else preventing us playing in right areas of the pitch, and Ince hogged all the play limiting opportunity for others. 

Not saying either is a bad player, Ince especially, but I question the argument that some seem to be making that our goals will all be gone by selling Ince and moving bent on. I actually think we will score more next season without them.

I tend to think our forwards will start with first picks of Martin nugent Vydra then Bent and possibly Blackman and hopefully one of the youngsters can force their way in.

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We haven't got a penny yet and I think we will end up like the camara situation but we can hope that we do get something back

I tend to think our forwards will start with first picks of Martin nugent Vydra then Bent and possibly Blackman and hopefully one of the youngsters can force their way in.

I'd even put Weimann ahead of Bent. I get the feeling Rowett might give him a couple of runs up front alongside Martin.

14 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

I'd even put Weimann ahead of Bent. I get the feeling Rowett might give him a couple of runs up front alongside Martin.

Ops I forgot about him! I must have him out wide left - but I know what you mean 

When we signed Bent we knew exactly what we were getting.

He scores goals and contributes little else but we knew that and has been shipped on by a few clubs with fans saying what most are saying on here  and i think i'm right in saying he's only cost us his wages ( which might be high i don't know but certainly not the 65k he was supposedly on at villa )

His goalscoring record for us is quite good and even got 13 last season and he's one of those players that i'm sure opposing fans don't like to hear on the teamsheet because he's a goalscorer, simple as that.

Can't really believe that someone on here thinks Sammon is even close to him on any level unless the post was a wind up because Sammon was hard working but a pretty terrible signing.

I really think its un realistic to expect much more of what he's delivered for us and his attitude seems spot on as he never seems to sulk if hes on the bench.

saying all that if we can get any fee it would be great business...good luck Dazza you've done exactly what you've done at every club you've been at....score goals....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

how the hell are you attributing the changes from end of 2013-14 (to today) on Bent being involved? There have been many factors, not least the changes in management and different team all around the different areas of the pitch.

To suggest Bent and Ince are to blame shows complete ignorance. The following season, key injuries and dips in form (most notably Grant, Hughes and Keogh in the run in) ruined our season.

So since 13/14 you are going to blame the failure to gain promotion on "key injuries" and "dips in form". Riiiight 

Sure Bent scores goals, but the core of the side has gone. Buxton gone, Grant gone, Wisdom went, Ward gone, Eustace gone. Replacing them with the likes of Shackell, Ince, Butterfield and Bent looks good but it hasn't fit. 

Has it stands today, Bamford, Sammon, Ward, Dawkins, Martin, Russell, had more success than Weimann, Vydra, Nugent, Bent and how much more money are those four on each?

The wage bill is through the fookin roof and we are no better off for it.

58 minutes ago, Saity said:

Can't really believe that someone on here thinks Sammon is even close to him on any level unless the post was a wind up because Sammon was hard working but a pretty terrible signing.

I really think its un realistic to expect much more of what he's delivered for us and his attitude seems spot on as he never seems to sulk 

"can't really believe someone said..." Sammon was garbage, but what does Bent do BETTER than Sammon without the ball? What does Bent do BETTER than Sammon when further than 25 yards away from goal?Bent just waits around for ten yard tap ins my dead nan could do. He shows no effort throughout the course of the game to get involved. How many games would you give Darren Bent a 8/10 rating since signing? I honestly can't ever remember him putting in a performance and walking out thinking "Bent had a good game". Can you?Wolves game he was decent(ish), that goal is about the only thing he will be remembered for in his time here not the shift he puts in.

Has he even got an assist to his name?

4 minutes ago, Papahet said:

So since 13/14 you are going to blame the failure to gain promotion on "key injuries" and "dips in form". Riiiight 

Sure Bent scores goals, but the core of the side has gone. Buxton gone, Grant gone, Wisdom went, Ward gone, Eustace gone. Replacing them with the likes of Shackell, Ince, Butterfield and Bent looks good but it hasn't fit. 

Has it stands today, Bamford, Sammon, Ward, Dawkins, Martin, Russell, had more success than Weimann, Vydra, Nugent, Bent and how much more money are those four on each?

The wage bill is through the fookin roof and we are no better off for it.

"can't really believe someone said..." Sammon was garbage, but what does Bent do BETTER than Sammon without the ball? What does Bent do BETTER than Sammon when further than 25 yards away from goal?Bent just waits around for ten yard tap ins my dead nan could do. He shows no effort throughout the course of the game to get involved. How many games would you give Darren Bent a 8/10 rating since signing? I honestly can't ever remember him putting in a performance. Wolves game he was decent(ish), that goal is about the only thing he will be remembered for in his time here not the shift he puts in.

Has he even got an assist to his name?

Are you having a laugh ??? why are you comparing Sammon to Bent ??? There is no comparison, Bent scores ,Sammon doesnt!! and i don't recollect Sammon assisting many either...look I'm not having a go at Sammon as he came across as a decent bloke albeit a bit out of his depth and his work rate was commendable but guess what??? I was fairly decent CF as a player and i worked hard so maybe i shouldve played for us!!! :thumbsup: lol...but i didn't ...hard work and running anyone can do if they want too being a natural goal scorer is an attribute and one that many clubs have spent big money on to acrue... ...Bent delivers what it says on the tin...Goals...

10 hours ago, AmberRamber said:

Well the teams that scored the most goals in the premier league last season finished in the top five places and the last time I looked its GOALS....say it again.... GOALS that win games.

That's why strikers go for the big money and top wages.

So let me guess, get rid of ince , Bent.....any others?

And then buy who or what?

But I'm guessing it will be someone who scores goals or gets the ball to someone who scores goals.

Give Bent chances and he'll score. 

Now I'm guessing that you're just gonna keep bashing away at this until I give up.

So I give up. 

Goodnight 

Without going into too much detail, and without having the stats on hand to back myself up (I'm quickly falling out of phone signal for the day) but compare us to Fulham last season.

If I'm right, Fulham scored more goals than us overall but didn't have any player that beat us in the goal scoring charts? So why players like Bent do score goals, does his style of play hinder us in other ways because he can't really provide for others. Is it a case that you take Bent's 13 goals in a season you could possibly get 20-25 out of other players in the team.

I do like Bent, just not sure he is what we need this season

30 minutes ago, Saity said:

Are you having a laugh ??? why are you comparing Sammon to Bent ??? There is no comparison, Bent scores ,Sammon doesnt!! and i don't recollect Sammon assisting many either...look I'm not having a go at Sammon as he came across as a decent bloke albeit a bit out of his depth and his work rate was commendable but guess what??? I was fairly decent CF as a player and i worked hard so maybe i shouldve played for us!!! :thumbsup: lol...but i didn't ...hard work and running anyone can do if they want too being a natural goal scorer is an attribute and one that many clubs have spent big money on to acrue... ...Bent delivers what it says on the tin...Goals...

Did we or did we not play to a particular style with the likes of Martin, Sammon, Ward and Dawkins? With Bent and the likes of Weimann we have nothing going forward, I don't even no what we do nowadays. It's bland has hell, Ince was the only one who had the ideas going forward.

He slows us down massively too. Reason I mentioned Sammon is because he chases and chases, look at the last minute winner at Watford for example. 

Bent starts we have no plan up top: He can't hold the ball up, does he bring the likes of Bryson into the game? Does he use his pace to scare defenders?He rarely presses the opposition and his pace has rapidly gone for awhile now. He's no Dwight Gayle.

I wouldn't even have him has a super sub, he's not a Peschisolido and especially for the money he's not going to be worth much in a years time. Sell while there's (supposed) interest in him. 

Him, Shackell, Blackman and Christie all need moving on. For their careers and for us to get better quality who fit into a style we want to play to. We need younger players who Rowett can improve (sell for a profit) not more 30 plus year olds.

12 minutes ago, rynny said:

Darren Bent scores goals. True, but what does he do when he doesn't score?

I do agree but he's not been any different at any other club and we knew that when we signed him

Archived