Rowett has to try something different after years of failure

Curtains

1 hour ago, Pearson said:

“A very highly regarded player” by who exactly?

I am totally lost with this obsequious and illogical slobbering over Hughes.

The harsh reality, he is highly regarded by a large element of our support, who forgive me, have no understanding or comprehension in what is required in formulating a competitive and winning side. That is why boards generally employ a professional, and hopefully, one with a proven record.

Hughes didn’t figure in my namesake plans, was omitted in the latter stages of McLaren’s tenure and obviously is not part of Rowetts future plans. Are we to believe that our supporters know better than the afore mentioned?

We have been treading water for the past four years, spending obscene amounts of money on average players with no improvement what’s so ever. Thankfully we have a manager who realise this and is starting the clean out and mind set. This in the long term will bear fruit, despite some favoured casualties along the way.

Nigel Pearson thought Craig Bryson was a holding midfielder. 

I know more than Nigel Pearson. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pearson said:

The harsh reality, he is highly regarded by a large element of our support, who forgive me, have no understanding or comprehension in what is required in formulating a competitive and winning side. That is why boards generally employ a professional, and hopefully, one with a proven record.

Hughes didn’t figure in my namesake plans, was omitted in the latter stages of McLaren’s tenure and obviously is not part of Rowetts future plans. Are we to believe that our supporters know better than the afore mentioned?

We have been treading water for the past four years, spending obscene amounts of money on average players with no improvement what’s so ever. Thankfully we have a manager who realise this and is starting the clean out and mind set. This in the long term will bear fruit, despite some favoured casualties along the way.

So we keep the average players who cost obscene amounts of money and give away the cheapest and best player.

Will Hughes represented the hope that we might just go back to the free flowing sublime football that teams couldn't live with instead of going down the safety first route.

We saw something beautiful in 2013/14 and there was always the chance a manager would see that and attempt to build something similar around Hughesy, Martin and hopefully Thorne......its like someone has stolen the dream. We've not really played as well since Mac signed Ince and Bent imo.

Will was a joy to watch. Other players may be faster or stronger but they don't make you leak a tiny bit of fluid just by a flick of his wand-like left foot.

The saying "beautiful game" was coined to describe footballers like Will Hughes so please allow us who appreciate the finer points to wallow in our misery of losing a truly gifted player who we've watched since he was a skinny little lad and will now see him gracing the Premier league for some fecker else.

While i agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of Hughes... the reality is this.....

He's a luxury.... and one that the rest of our limited squad can't afford..... if we were a premiership team we'd be able to build around him.

Unfortunately.... we're not and he's been a part of the problem for the last 4 years.... hes not quite good enough to get us out this division.

It's a different game in the premier and I'm sure he will do well but for what we need... he's sadly not the answer. The last few years have proven that.

Right player.... wrong division

My gripe is the fee seems way too low but arguably he's not progressed the way we all thought and that's presumably affected things

Shame but if we bring in players who get us out the division... albeit maybe not as good technically.... we'll look back and say it was the right move 

2 hours ago, Derby blood said:

I am 100 percent behind him, give him time, and he will deliver no doubt about that, impressed with his first 2 signings, and if Hughes was not in his plans, then it's best he sold him, and if we get Whelan in or another quality defensive  midfielder in then I will be happy with this . as we need a better balance to the squad more incomings and outgoings for sure, can not wait to see our starting line up at Sunderland.

Of course there is doubt.

And having watched Whelan for years with ROI, i can tell you he breaks up as many Irish attacks with his ponderous and conservative passing (usually to the closest full-back) as he does opposition attacks. Simply never seems to want the ball at his feet. 

Hughes out and Whelan in would be a gargantuan backward step. 

20 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Of course there is doubt.

And having watched Whelan for years with ROI, i can tell you he breaks up as many Irish attacks with his ponderous and conservative passing (usually to the closest full-back) as he does opposition attacks. Simply never seems to want the ball at his feet. 

Hughes out and Whelan in would be a gargantuan backward step. 

Hughes is a good player not doubting that for one minute, but if Gary does not want him and needs to get the balance of the squad right. And  Whelan is a VERY good at what he does that's why he has played most of his career at the top level, we need to get behind the team and players this year, as they will need our support, and ask Stoke fans about Whelan, they will tell you , he has been a very consistent performer for them Season after season.

37 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Hughes is a good player not doubting that for one minute, but if Gary does not want him and needs to get the balance of the squad right. And  Whelan is a VERY good at what he does that's why he has played most of his career at the top level, we need to get behind the team and players this year, as they will need our support, and ask Stoke fans about Whelan, they will tell you , he has been a very consistent performer for them Season after season.

We had balance.

The gorilla and the rookie ruined it.

The best Derby team in a generation was destroyed by fucktardary.

Maybe the reason for the sale is down to Rowett listening to the fans on match days! The constant cries of get it forward or shoot and the many groans and moans as the ball is played sideways and backwards in the attempt to play possession football has probably made GR think the fans want lump it forward hoofball type football. So the next time you're at the match and a mate shouts "get it forward" slap him and tell him that it's his fault Hughes was sold.

7 hours ago, SparxTheRam said:

He's a luxury.... and one that the rest of our limited squad can't afford..... if we were a premiership team we'd be able to build around him.

Unfortunately.... we're not and he's been a part of the problem for the last 4 years.... hes not quite good enough to get us out this division.

Two totally, utterly nonsense statements. Still at least I know now it's Will Hughes fault we aren't good enough. When Thorne is fit or finally replaced, when Martin is back and sold to Wolves, when we get replacements for Blackman, Weimann, Camara and Olsonn, et al it'll still be Hughes fault.

Rowett did well with average, very defensive, Birmingham side. Maybe the masterplan is to make us average too, so "being solid from the back" is justificated.

No Hughes and defensive fullbacks is far from the football I enjoy watching, only way to appease me is results from now on. Promotion or sacking, it's a win-win situation for me. Unfortunately neither is bringing Will back.

It's moments like these that you realise just how much damage Paul Clement's little spell in charge actually did. Been trying to fix the pieces ever since. Pearson figured out pretty quickly that he wasn't the man to do it. 

if its the oustanding payments on Anya and Vydra that are a significant factor in this, then blockhead Pearson is the root cause - along with Sam ' failure of his fiduciary duty' Rush, and dozy Uncle Mel.

Morris seems to have decided that he's not going to bankroll the project like he did, and he isn't going to write all the big cheques anymore. Perhaps he didn't even realise the extent of the outstanding  bills that Sam Rush had lined up for him.

he did say that rowett would have to work within strict financial limits.

this is the result?

idiots the lot of them.

On 6/21/2017 at 18:01, Cactooos said:

for a reasonable price. £8Million for Hughes is not a reasonable price, especially when we coaxed Burnley out of £10million+ just a year ago. For example, I would sell Tom Ince and Will Hughes as a pairing for some sausages with my season ticket :ph34r:

Hendrick has already repaid his own transfer fee by being a regular in a team which guaranteed Burnley another £100 million next season.:)

20 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

So we keep the average players who cost obscene amounts of money and give away the cheapest and best player

Will Hughes represented the hope that we might just go back to the free flowing sublime football that teams couldn't live with instead of going down the safety first route.

We saw something beautiful in 2013/14 and there was always the chance a manager would see that and attempt to build something similar around Hughesy, Martin and hopefully Thorne......its like someone has stolen the dream. We've not really played as well since Mac signed Ince and Bent imo.

Will was a joy to watch. Other players may be faster or stronger but they don't make you leak a tiny bit of fluid just by a flick of his wand-like left foot.

The saying "beautiful game" was coined to describe footballers like Will Hughes so please allow us who appreciate the finer points to wallow in our misery of losing a truly gifted player who we've watched since he was a skinny little lad and will now see him gracing the Premier league for some fecker else.

All subjective points based on your opinion which I take on board. The average players, at least the average players in Rowett's eyes, will eventually be moved on.

Hughes may well have been a joy to watch for you but he frustrated the hell out of me. He was too easily shrugged off the ball, poor in the air, inability to tackle correctly and had a poor strike rate. There is far more to the game than looking pretty on the ball and one or two mazy dribbles. He was one of the prime reasons our mid-field, on numerous occasions, was overrun by the opposition.

I'm of the view that supporter’s are being clouded by sentimental attachment as opposed logical thinking and assessment

14 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Hughes may well have been a joy to watch for you but he frustrated the hell out of me. He was too easily shrugged off the ball, poor in the air, inability to tackle correctly and had a poor strike rate.

You should watch cricket, football is wasted on you.

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

if its the oustanding payments on Anya and Vydra that are a significant factor in this, then blockhead Pearson is the root cause - along with Sam ' failure of his fiduciary duty' Rush, and dozy Uncle Mel.

Morris seems to have decided that he's not going to bankroll the project like he did, and he isn't going to write all the big cheques anymore. Perhaps he didn't even realise the extent of the outstanding  bills that Sam Rush had lined up for him.

he did say that rowett would have to work within strict financial limits.

this is the result?

idiots the lot of them.

I think it's fair to say that every manager has to work within strict financial limits.It's called FFP.

Dying to know what Sam's alleged misconduct was. Even beginning to wonder if the £7m hike in admin expenses was Sam's Christmas Party.Definitely non recurring though.:p 

On 6/22/2017 at 21:49, Pearson said:

Very highly regarded by who? I don't know the England U21 set-up? By Watford who just bought him? By several other clubs or tried to hijack the deal? By the several top clubs who he openly rejected in the past saying he wanted a move guaranteeing play time? If you don't rate him, that's fine but you need to accept you're in a very small minority.

You claim that he didn't feature in our past few managers plans, didn't they all get sacked? Hilariously the board that you put so much trust in hired these imbeciles too.

Hughes is the type of player you build a team around but if he isn't in Rowett's plans, then a move makes sense, I have no issue with that. I think it's a staggeringly dumb decision but he's our new manager and we should get behind him. What I dislike about this deal is how we've accepted a disgustingly low fee, essentially marking us as a a feeder club that won't put up a fight for their best players. It's also a sign that we're moving away from attractive football played by promising youngsters and moving towards older, more negative players. Even more worryingly Rowett has now painted a massive crosshair on his back if results don't go our way straight from the get go. There are many people who are annoyed with this deal, just like people were annoyed with the awful decision to loan out Martin, and in all honesty it will make people a lot less forgiving.

Compare this deal to Hendrick, who I believe when we sold him was a significantly inferior player to Hughes. People weren't happy he went, but nobody could argue with the deal due to the money offered. It was an excellent fee. If Rowett wanted to get rid of Hughes, that's fine, but there needed to be a fee which made everyone collectively say 'fair enough'. All he's done now is put more pressure on himself in a job that already comes with extremely high expectations. I'll get behind him like absolutely everybody who supports this club should, but it wouldn't surprise me that if we don't start strongly that grumblings start to appear earlier than before.

Also it's ironic you claim to know more than most other fans when you're named after the one of the most tactically inept managers to ever grace this club. 

Or maybe there are three or four players he really wants to bring in and the only player he wishes to release that will cover that outlay is Hughes.

They aren't going to hang around and if he has them as strong targets, he's over a barrel?

On 6/23/2017 at 20:42, Pearson said:

He was too easily shrugged off the ball

Yeah! Like in 2013/14 when he was the most fouled player in the league, because opposition players couldn't get near him and when they did couldn't win the ball off him by fair means so had to resort to fouling him.

Then again, back then we had players moving around infront of him and giving him passing options, I'm so glad we put a stop to that though and made our principal tactic "do whatever you can to get the ball to Ince, then run away tback owards your own goal"

Archived