Rowett has to try something different after years of failure

Curtains

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, curtains said:

Mel subsidises Derby to the tune of 8 million losses every year. 

Boy,I bet he wished it was that low! In 15/16 the cash loss on operations was £24.657m,and you can then add a further £18.066m for net capital payments. If members think the first figure is high,the P/L account included £12m of 'artificial' income,via the big loan cancellation,which then had to be taken out of the cash position. I read @Srg say that we've always been within FFP,according to the club.What they didn't say (and I don't blame them) was that the £4m below the FFP threshold only came about because of the loan cancellation (without it,we'd have been £8m over).Unfortunately there are no big loans to cancel this year,so player sales are probably going to do the job,just as they did in 16/17. When these accounts come out,add player sales onto the FFP result to see what the position would have been without them (add the Martin loan fee on as well).

I don't think people understand just how bad the underlying bread and butter income v expenditure position is. It comes as no surprise to me that the squad will have to be culled,because the position was unsustainable going forward. The only optimism I can come up with is the possibility that the big hike in admin expenses in 15/16 was mainly non recurring,though I'd love to know what caused it,as I haven't a clue. The direct operating costs went up roughly in line with players' wage increases,so that was understandable. Mind you,even if the £7m increase were taken from the 15/16 result,we'd still have been £1m over FFP without the big loan cancellation.  

1 minute ago, ramblur said:

I don't think people understand just how bad the underlying bread and butter income v expenditure position is.

Then he shouldn't have tossed so much cash about! Seems like he's grasping in back in now?

I am 100 percent behind him, give him time, and he will deliver no doubt about that, impressed with his first 2 signings, and if Hughes was not in his plans, then it's best he sold him, and if we get Whelan in or another quality defensive  midfielder in then I will be happy with this . as we need a better balance to the squad more incomings and outgoings for sure, can not wait to see our starting line up at Sunderland.

18 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Boy,I bet he wished it was that low! In 15/16 the cash loss on operations was £24.657m,and you can then add a further £18.066m for net capital payments. If members think the first figure is high,the P/L account included £12m of 'artificial' income,via the big loan cancellation,which then had to be taken out of the cash position. I read @Srg say that we've always been within FFP,according to the club.What they didn't say (and I don't blame them) was that the £4m below the FFP threshold only came about because of the loan cancellation (without it,we'd have been £8m over).Unfortunately there are no big loans to cancel this year,so player sales are probably going to do the job,just as they did in 16/17. When these accounts come out,add player sales onto the FFP result to see what the position would have been without them (add the Martin loan fee on as well).

I don't think people understand just how bad the underlying bread and butter income v expenditure position is. It comes as no surprise to me that the squad will have to be culled,because the position was unsustainable going forward. The only optimism I can come up with is the possibility that the big hike in admin expenses in 15/16 was mainly non recurring,though I'd love to know what caused it,as I haven't a clue. The direct operating costs went up roughly in line with players' wage increases,so that was understandable. Mind you,even if the £7m increase were taken from the 15/16 result,we'd still have been £1m over FFP without the big loan cancellation.  

Price of not getting promoted to the Premier League I'd say. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Then he shouldn't have tossed so much cash about! Seems like he's grasping in back in now?

I can't really comment about that.Whereas in previous years I'd have stuck my neck out over predictions,the uncertainty over the admin expenses increase,together with no longer knowing what amortisation is likely to be means I wouldn't even start. Also,I mentioned some time ago that because of the'£39m over 3 years' ruling,we would be able to use the shortfalls in 15/16 (and probably 16/17) to our advantage. One mistake I made was in saying that if we ,say,posted £17m this year (and still stayed within the £39m over 3 years),then the £39m rule would bite us over the following 2 years,when we'd only have £22m in aggregate to play with (an average of £11m per year).I though this was a bit odd,and it now occurs to me that in any year we post £13m or less,it's automatically accepted,without reference to the previous 2 years. In other words,the £39m rolling figure is only tested in any year we go over £13m. Hence,I think (strongly) that if we posted £17m this year,we could still post £13m in the following 2 years,even though the 3 year aggregate would be £43m.

To put it simply,I don't know if we needed to sell any element to get us in step,even before considering purchases. My gut feeling is that sales will mainly balance incomings,but that's not such a bad thing.

On 21/06/2017 at 18:44, lrm14 said:

A decent fee for a very highly regarded player who is young, English and has a very high ceiling? 

“A very highly regarded player” by who exactly?

I am totally lost with this obsequious and illogical slobbering over Hughes.

The harsh reality, he is highly regarded by a large element of our support, who forgive me, have no understanding or comprehension in what is required in formulating a competitive and winning side. That is why boards generally employ a professional, and hopefully, one with a proven record.

Hughes didn’t figure in my namesake plans, was omitted in the latter stages of McLaren’s tenure and obviously is not part of Rowetts future plans. Are we to believe that our supporters know better than the afore mentioned?

We have been treading water for the past four years, spending obscene amounts of money on average players with no improvement what’s so ever. Thankfully we have a manager who realise this and is starting the clean out and mind set. This in the long term will bear fruit, despite some favoured casualties along the way.

Looking at some of the stuff that Hughes has put out in interviews lately he's hardly looked the happiest of campers- I suspect that he doesn't want to be here anymore as per Hendrick last year so GR may as well get shut. He wants commitment from his players so he says and that's fair enough. As other have said we are bound to still owe Watford some cash  so the fee quoted will be largely irrelevent I suspect

Derby County manager Gary Rowett 'third best boss in Football League'

Derby County manager Gary Rowett has been named the "third best boss in the Football League".

FourFourTwo have ranked who they believe to be the best 10 managers in the EFL – with Rowett coming third out of the 72 clubs.

Fulham's Slavisa Jokanovic is top of the pile and former Leeds United boss Garry Monk, now in charge of Middlesbrough, is in second.

Seven of the top 10 are Championship managers, with Darrell Clarke of Bristol Rovers, Rochdale's Keith Hill and Fleetwood Town's Uwe Rosler – all from League One – seventh, eighth and ninth.

Rowett had great success at both Burton Albion and Birmingham City before being handed the Rams job in March.

He had guided Birmingham to promotion contention but was controversially sacked in December. They only avoided relegation to League One on the final day.

Gary Rowett

Here is what FourFourTwo said about the Rams boss: "Arguably the most respected opposition manager in the EFL, the majority of neutral observers were left aghast when Birmingham's new owners, Trillion Trophy Asia, decided to axe Rowett last December following two years of undisputed overachievement.

"The 43-year-old has yet to taste promotion in five years as a manager - indeed, he describes his career to date as only 'semi-successful' - but he laid the foundations for Burton to climb two divisions in successive seasons.

"On top of that, no amount of money invested at St Andrew's since his departure can airbrush the restrictions under which he was operating before the takeover."

Top 10 full list:

1 - Slavisa Jokanovic (Fulham)

2 - Garry Monk (Middlesboro)

3 - Gary Rowett (Derby)

4 - Harry Redknapp (Birmingham)

5 - Steve Bruce (Aston Villa)

6 - Chris Wilder (Sheffield United)

7 - Darrell Clarke (Bristol Rovers)

8 - Keith Hill (Rochdale)

9 - Uwe Rosler (Fleetwood)

10 - Jaap Stam (Reading)

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-manager-gary-rowett-third-best-boss-in-football-league/story-30405215-detail/story.html#FyH2jFJSd6QHmA25.99

45 minutes ago, curtains said:

Price of not getting promoted to the Premier League I'd say. 

Price of backing Clement so heavily,I reckon. When PC first came,he talked of playing different systems,and I've no doubt he signed players to give flexibility.Unfortunately,he subsequently came to the conclusion that 433 was the way forward,which left us with a number of misfits.

43 minutes ago, Whitby Ram said:

Looking at some of the stuff that Hughes has put out in interviews lately he's hardly looked the happiest of campers- I suspect that he doesn't want to be here anymore as per Hendrick last year so GR may as well get shut. He wants commitment from his players so he says and that's fair enough. As other have said we are bound to still owe Watford some cash  so the fee quoted will be largely irrelevent I suspect

Well I'd suggest he did want stay here which is why he signed a new contract. I'd also suggest he probably looked pissed off in those interviews because Rowetts said he isn't In his plans.

9 minutes ago, cannable said:

I'd love to know how many times he's assisted the assist over the years.

Or how many times he's changed the momentum by always being a safe pair of feet.

Without that killer instinct he will always have critics. There's players out there like Xavi, Iniesta who managed to be the greatest of a generation without having assists and goals. Hughes brought more out of the players around him by giving them what they want, where they want. 

Everyone will be worse off without him unless we plan to go from back to front much quicker. As Nigel Pearson proved, quick doesn't always mean effective. Certainly Martin won't benefit from too quick attacks. Bent and Vydra neither considering their hold up play is none existent. 

I'm baffled what Whelan offers that Hughes doesn't. I rate Whelan but Hughes has years on his side. Hunger to reach levels. 

It suits Hughes though. He is ready for better than this division. He can't kick on by himself. That's the criticism of him from many. Hard to kick on in a team that continues to lose its identity with so much change. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Or how many times he's changed the momentum by always being a safe pair of feet.

Without that killer instinct he will always have critics. There's players out there like Xavi, Iniesta who managed to be the greatest of a generation without having assists and goals. Hughes brought more out of the players around him by giving them what they want, where they want. 

Everyone will be worse off without him unless we plan to go from back to front much quicker. As Nigel Pearson proved, quick doesn't always mean effective. Certainly Martin won't benefit from too quick attacks. Bent and Vydra neither considering their hold up play is none existent. 

I'm baffled what Whelan offers that Hughes doesn't. I rate Whelan but Hughes has years on his side. Hunger to reach levels. 

It suits Hughes though. He is ready for better than this division. He can't kick on by himself. That's the criticism of him from many. Hard to kick on in a team that continues to lose its identity with so much change. 

This

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I watched him very closely when he came on tonight he did very well when he had the ball without many decisive passes although he did a very good one down the line of the left hand side.  

Without the ball he seemed to be chasing players most of the time without getting a tackle in a bit like Robbie Savage used to do. 

He is a good player and if he goes to Watford it will be interesting to see how he fares 

I do like the lad and I've spoken to him occasionally as a fan  and he has a good personality .

All the best to the lad if he goes  

1 hour ago, Pearson said:

“A very highly regarded player” by who exactly?

I am totally lost with this obsequious and illogical slobbering over Hughes.

The harsh reality, he is highly regarded by a large element of our support, who forgive me, have no understanding or comprehension in what is required in formulating a competitive and winning side. That is why boards generally employ a professional, and hopefully, one with a proven record.

Hughes didn’t figure in my namesake plans, was omitted in the latter stages of McLaren’s tenure and obviously is not part of Rowetts future plans. Are we to believe that our supporters know better than the afore mentioned?

We have been treading water for the past four years, spending obscene amounts of money on average players with no improvement what’s so ever. Thankfully we have a manager who realise this and is starting the clean out and mind set. This in the long term will bear fruit, despite some favoured casualties along the way.

You deserve Butterfields endless square passing, Johnson's club footed attempts to control a pass; Russell's failed attempts to hit a barn door; Anya's performing dwarf circus act etc 

because you don't recognise talent when its staring you in the face.

Archived