peachmyster

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as they can keep their end up and put in a good performance it doesn't matter how old they are. Also with age comes experience and so getting into right position at the right time can be more effective than arriving at speed.

PistoldPete2
13 hours ago, peachmyster said:

Ok then whats everybody think about the age of players it seems that we are signing or linked with players over 30 

With age comes wisdom.

1106 topics in Transfer Talk over the last 8 years. The percentage that were done deals will be extremely low.

Some may have been true, others to fill newspaper columns. One journalist can easily throw in Derby County into a sentence or an agent looking to generate interest.

Don't get hung up on rumours, wait for the ink on paper, so far we've signed just one 30+ player and yet to see anyone leave.

On 18/06/2017 at 17:16, peachmyster said:

Ok then whats everybody think about the age of players it seems that we are signing or linked with players over 30 

I was lucky enough to watch Paul McGrath play for us. His knees were knacked and the only training he did was the 90 minutes of a game. Terrific player. If you're good enough etc:)

27 minutes ago, SKRam said:

I was lucky enough to watch Paul McGrath play for us. His knees were knacked and the only training he did was the 90 minutes of a game. Terrific player. If you're good enough etc:)

Igor was kind enough to give up his sweeper position and take up a markers job, to enable McGraths reading of the game to shine.

I think the question of value comes into this - with experience you take a bit of a risk on how fit they are but you can get good players much cheaper than they were a few years ago.

I think you can get better value from some vets as opposed to players in their prime, but as pointed out, there needs to be balance.

I think it was the great Bill Shankly who said that however great the player at some point their legs go. The trick is to ensure they are playing for somebody else when it happens!

That means don't offer anyone over 30 more than a one year contract.

Carson is a good age for a keeper, 

Defence is okay with Keogh or Wisdom adding additional legs. Could do with a youngster coming through but that's all.

Midfield is starting to age, would be good to get a younger lad of about 22 or 23 in there, especially if Whelan signs, but it's not as if playing the 30 somethings would be detrimental.

Same up front, the ages are creeping up. The only reason I'd let Martin go is for a younger player, but would have to be one that gets goals. Young wingers are always more exciting.

Just now, Rample said:

Same up front, the ages are creeping up. The only reason I'd let Martin go is for a younger player, but would have to be one that gets goals. Young wingers are always more exciting.

Yep, lets sell another good player. Oh well there's always Blackman.

10 minutes ago, Rample said:

The only reason I'd let Martin go is for a younger player, but would have to be one that gets goals. Young wingers are always more exciting.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yep, lets sell another good player. Oh well there's always Blackman.

He didn't mention one ;)

Archived