peachmyster

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need leaders and experience (which naturally comes with age) in a few key areas, CB was one so we got Davies, CDM is another and we have been linked with Whelan.

As long as these types of signings are balanced with incomings...Wisdom is young, Watkins is young too...then age doesnt really matter. Outgoings are important too as for me age isnt really the issue its a fresh look to the team that we need.

There needs to be a balance. So far we seem to be getting it right by signing Davies (experience) and Wisdom (youth). If we were to take this approach to the rest of our summer buying (Perhaps Whelan/Ledley to add experience and Watkins/March to add youth) then we should have a healthy looking squad come next season.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

It isn't a problem as long as the quality is still there ie Curtis Davies. You do need that mix of experience in there, however too many of this type of player will obviously bring it's problems.

I agree, but you watch the reaction the first time some spring heeled 21 year old sprints away from Curtis.

"Legs have gone" will be much to the fore.

As long as a players' age doesn't begin to impact on his effectiveness and contribution to the team then I don't have a problem - hopefully it's a means to a successful end. 

What I do have concerns with is the length of contract. Giving a 33/34 year old a 3 year contract (or even a 2 year deal with a possible 1 years' extension) is potentially a problem waiting to happen. Would Derby have been happy to give Bent another year if contractually they weren't obliged to - I very much doubt it?

1 hour ago, peachmyster said:

Ok then whats everybody think about the age of players it seems that we are signing or linked with players over 30 

No issue with the age at all. 

I don't really have an issue with signing a few players who are 'getting on a bit'. Let's face it, how many championship players can you realistically say would be good enough should you be in the Premiership next season so they'd be offloaded anyway. 

Statistically speaking, age and aging remain the nation's #1 killers so i'm thinking it's probably a bad thing having too many oldies. That said, we could cryogenically freeze them between games?

In Bent's case, maybe we could just leave him in the fridge...

40 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Statistically speaking, age and aging remain the nation's #1 killers so i'm thinking it's probably a bad thing having too many oldies. That said, we could cryogenically freeze them between games?

In Bent's case, maybe we could just leave him in the fridge...

Could work. Stephen Warnock's been doing it for years.

IMG_20170618_202624.jpg

Davies at 500k is to cheap to turn away no matter the age! Great experienced player! You have to have the right mix, Yes we have some Experience in the side with the likes of shackell Keogh bent but Rowett probably doesn't think it's the right experience if we can get 1 or 2 older cheap players will work well with 3 or 4 young enthusiastic players it could work well! Can't have a team of 20 year olds and expect to go up 

Archived