Apple

Day

3 minutes ago, Moist One said:

@David what is your opinion on Siri not being open to control things like Spotify? Short-sighted? or a cynical attempt to get folk to use Apple tunes?

iOS 12 has introduced Siri Shortcuts, it's an app where you can create your own Siri commands. I "think" it's down to the app developers to add it in now, Pandora which is a US music app have updated their app for this, pretty sure Spotify will come out with an update pretty soon

2 hours ago, David said:

iOS 12 is out by the way, don't be afraid to install it on older devices as it comes with performance/optimisation boosts, people with phones back to the iPhone 6 are reporting that it's like a brand new device.

Am I right in thinking this is the last update which will be available for a 5s?

39 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Am I right in thinking this is the last update which will be available for a 5s?

Only Apple will know that right now, if I was too guess then probably yes as iOS 13 is expected to have a lot more features added in, where as 12 was more about performance.

My iPhone Xs Max arrived yesterday. What a gloriously beautiful device. Love having that bigger screen back after using an X the last year. Few apps needs updating still as they’re just magnified at the moment, similar to when the Plus first came out. Camera is so good, even under lowlight, scarily good how they can produce photos like this.

No regrets!

Mines preparing to be dispatched now, probably be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Expected the app issue for a few weeks, as you say it happened before with the plus phones, even the X now some still haven’t updated to the latest resolution. 

These will be the new resolutions going forward though so won’t be long till they all jump on board. 

Max arrived today. I'm a bit torn to be honest, I've been through all the plus phones which they have had and whilst the XS does have that more premium solid feel to it, almost too solid if that makes sense, the older design felt nicer in the hand.

But the screen, oh the screen is glorious....apart from the bug which I'm sure is on mine where toggling True Tone appears to be reversed.

I feel like that standard X/XS might just be the perfect balance between device size and screen you know. 

Will give it a few days for the battery to settle and get used to it, as it's dropped a fair whack quickly today which is expected as everything sorts itself out in the background. 50/50 on exchanging for the standard XS right now. 

Bought online at Apple so get 30 days to return.

Sent the missus to Apple Store in Sheffield, makes a change from Coventry. Picking up a XS.

I regret to inform you that the XS Max is too heavy for a heavy user, and my heavy I don't mean fat. Don't get me wrong I could bicep curl it all day long, but I'm a one handed flicker, I said flicker. The phone rests on your pinky finger, doesn't take long before it's really becoming a abit of a strain.

The old plus phones were a lot lighter, these premium materials come in with a premium weight. If you're a two hander, hold with the left and use your fingers on your right, great. 

The only sacrifice you're making with the XS is smaller screen and shorter battery life, but it's not exactly a small screen.

1 hour ago, David said:

Sent the missus to Apple Store in Sheffield, makes a change from Coventry. Picking up a XS.

I regret to inform you that the XS Max is too heavy for a heavy user, and my heavy I don't mean fat. Don't get me wrong I could bicep curl it all day long, but I'm a one handed flicker, I said flicker. The phone rests on your pinky finger, doesn't take long before it's really becoming a abit of a strain.

The old plus phones were a lot lighter, these premium materials come in with a premium weight. If you're a two hander, hold with the left and use your fingers on your right, great. 

The only sacrifice you're making with the XS is smaller screen and shorter battery life, but it's not exactly a small screen.

Have you won the lottery ?

10 minutes ago, David said:

Don't need to win the lottery, once you're in with a Apple phone it's cheaper than having a contract

Your still playing over 500 quid a year for the privilege of having an iPhone. Comparing it to a contract may work out cheaper, although you are not taking it or account your original outlay. Buying a the XS is just over 1500 for a two year contract on EE, selling the phone at the end will make it more comparable. 

I only know prices as I’m looking at the new model, as much as I would love to change due to the over inflated prices and out of date operating system (it works I get it), the ease of use means I will probably stick with them again.

25 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Your still playing over 500 quid a year for the privilege of having an iPhone. Comparing it to a contract may work out cheaper, although you are not taking it or account your original outlay. Buying a the XS is just over 1500 for a two year contract on EE, selling the phone at the end will make it more comparable. 

I only know prices as I’m looking at the new model, as much as I would love to change due to the over inflated prices and out of date operating system (it works I get it), the ease of use means I will probably stick with them again.

My original outlay was years ago, back with the iPhone 4, it's been a gradual increase since which has risen with phone contracts. It's much harder to get into now today with the prices so high, but if you can do it, it does save money IF you can look after the phone and afford the price difference at the start of each phone release year.

Also the XS is not £1500, only if you get the Max with 512gb storage.

Originally I got the XS Max with 256gb at £1250, lets say it was my first phone and I kept it for the 24 months, thats £52pm for the phone alone, throw in my contract which is £20pm for unlimited texts and minutes, 30gb data it's £72. 

On EE now as a new customer, iPhone XS Max, 256gb with 20gb data, unlimited minutes and texts is £83pm plus £50 for the phone. 

With EE 24 months contract £2042
Sim only contract with phone over 24 months £1728

My XS non Max 256gb which I'm getting today is £1150, I sold my X for £700. So my outlay has only been £450. Now I upgrade yearly as by flipping phones as I get the best trade in value for my old phone. 

£450 over 12 months is £37.50pm, plus my £20 contract is £57.50pm which over just 12 months compared to a EE contract is a saving of £306 and I can negotiate a couple of quid off or extra data or even leave for Three say after 12 months if better deals are around. I'm not tied in for two years.

EE are alright though, I have a second sim for my girlfriend, £7pm which she gets 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 1gb data, but I can gift data each month to her account. She does the same flipping phones each year and is much better with that contract, and she gets away with a 64gb phone which is cheaper at £1000.

---------

Added with edit: Most people have phones these days, so if it's in a decent condition and fairly new there would be a resale value which would help towards the cost of that first iPhone which would mean a bigger saving over contract. 

Edited by David
Added a bit more

14 minutes ago, David said:

My original outlay was years ago, back with the iPhone 4, it's been a gradual increase since which has risen with phone contracts. It's much harder to get into now today with the prices so high, but if you can do it, it does save money IF you can look after the phone and afford the price difference at the start of each phone release year.

Also the XS is not £1500, only if you get the Max with 512gb storage.

Originally I got the XS Max with 256gb at £1250, lets say it was my first phone and I kept it for the 24 months, thats £52pm for the phone alone, throw in my contract which is £20pm for unlimited texts and minutes, 30gb data it's £72. 

On EE now as a new customer, iPhone XS Max, 256gb with 20gb data, unlimited minutes and texts is £83pm plus £50 for the phone. 

With EE 24 months contract £2042
Sim only contract with phone over 24 months £1728

My XS non Max 256gb which I'm getting today is £1150, I sold my X for £700. So my outlay has only been £450. Now I upgrade yearly as by flipping phones as I get the best trade in value for my old phone. 

£450 over 12 months is £37.50pm, plus my £20 contract is £57.50pm which over just 12 months compared to a EE contract is a saving of £306 and I can negotiate a couple of quid off or extra data or even leave for Three say after 12 months if better deals are around. I'm not tied in for two years.

EE are alright though, I have a second sim for my girlfriend, £7pm which she gets 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 1gb data, but I can gift data each month to her account. She does the same flipping phones each year and is much better with that contract, and she gets away with a 64gb phone which is cheaper at £1000.

---------

Added with edit: Most people have phones these days, so if it's in a decent condition and fairly new there would be a resale value which would help towards the cost of that first iPhone which would mean a bigger saving over contract. 

You just need some fool to buy the old cast offs