Apple

Day

11 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

You can set auto-lock delay to 5 mins but I accept that might still not be long enough if you're doing stuff & want to look at it occasionally.

I've only just started to do the "Hey Siri" thing when I'm in the car, to make calls & choose music etc as that seems to work better than the car's own voice system.

The main thing stopping me from upgrading from my 6S+ is the lack of 3.5mm headphone jack. I can just do without yet another thing to have to remember to charge.

I’ve started using hey Siri a lot more in the car now actually. It’s quite responsive, until it’s not. Then it’s the most frustrating thing in the world. 

My 8plus came with a lightening to 3.5mm jack converterrer thingy in the box. Don’t know if the x’s do too. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Anyway, slight change of subject (but still under the heading of Apple). 

HomePod - what do you reckon?

I’m so into the Apple eco system now, to the point that we’ve just taken out a subscription with Apple Music, I couldn’t imagine getting anything else.

Basically, I want to smart home the poo out of my house. The best smart home hub / thermostat as far as I can tell is Nest. But it’s owned by google and won’t work at with home kit. I want stuff that works with home kit, cos ultimately I want a home pod, and I want to be able to tell Siri to do clever things with my lights etc. So I’ve got to get hike kit enabled stuff, but it looks like all the best stuff is not. What are Apple playing at here?

also, if you’ve got an Alexa, HomePod, whatever, but you’ve got a 3 story house, what’s the best way of using it? I’m not after buying one for each floor. Would it bang out tunes from the middle floor that we could hear throughout the whole house? Would it hear me shouting to it from upstairs?

I’ve got Homepods and Nest.

The homepods sound great, really great, although they currently have no EQ settings so the sound is what it is...very bass heavy. They are super loud, never been past 50%, neighbours would be round.

The microphones that pick up your voice are incredible, over loud music or distance. You have to speak a little louder the further away you are but never really needs to be shouted at. 

26ft maybe I can get picked up on, that’s down the hallway and up the stairs.

Nest whilst doesn’t work with HomeKit does have it’ own app, a bit slow initially booting up overall it works well. Never really looked for HomeKit smoke alarms to be honest.

Philips Hue for lights. Really can’t go wrong. HomeKit enabled, work flawlessly with Siri and the HomePod. They keep expanding the range as well, recently came out with garden lights which I had fitted by Mr Boycie.

2 hours ago, David said:

I’ve got Homepods and Nest.

The homepods sound great, really great, although they currently have no EQ settings so the sound is what it is...very bass heavy. They are super loud, never been past 50%, neighbours would be round.

The microphones that pick up your voice are incredible, over loud music or distance. You have to speak a little louder the further away you are but never really needs to be shouted at. 

26ft maybe I can get picked up on, that’s down the hallway and up the stairs.

Nest whilst doesn’t work with HomeKit does have it’ own app, a bit slow initially booting up overall it works well. Never really looked for HomeKit smoke alarms to be honest.

Philips Hue for lights. Really can’t go wrong. HomeKit enabled, work flawlessly with Siri and the HomePod. They keep expanding the range as well, recently came out with garden lights which I had fitted by Mr Boycie.

Cool. I’d like some smart garden lights. I’m thinking of Tado or Honeywell for my thermostat though. Both home kit enabled, to keep it all the family. Nest is just so sexy though. 

Tech blogger posts selfies, claims it was taken on a Google Pixel phone, Android users fall over themselves to compliment the crispy pictures, so much better than the iPhone with its beautygate they claim.

Tech blogger then reveals selfies were in fact taken on a iPhone XS. Gotcha.

Those that featured in the video are scrambling to remove their comments ?

17 hours ago, David said:

Tech blogger posts selfies, claims it was taken on a Google Pixel phone, Android users fall over themselves to compliment the crispy pictures, so much better than the iPhone with its beautygate they claim.

Tech blogger then reveals selfies were in fact taken on a iPhone XS. Gotcha.

Those that featured in the video are scrambling to remove their comments ?

Well that schooled those android users. So it turns out that the £1250 phone also takes nice photos. Who knew? 

• 2 weeks later...

I see Apple have a new marketing ploy, using out of date technology to sucker more people in., There latest phone the XR is priced at over 750 quid, yet they are using a screen technology  the same as they used years ago, can’t even play 1080 video, let alone HDR.

12 hours ago, AdamRam said:

I see Apple have a new marketing ploy, using out of date technology to sucker more people in., There latest phone the XR is priced at over 750 quid, yet they are using a screen technology  the same as they used years ago, can’t even play 1080 video, let alone HDR.

@David don’t ignore him, it’s rude.

Take it as  wind up post if you wish, however I’m just trying to warn people who like me thought the XR would be a good cheaper option for the latest iPhone.

The screen is a big deal imo and a phone that isn’t 1080p and has the same pixel density as a 2014 iPhone 6, at the price they are marketing at is something that has meant I won’t be upgrading to Apple this year.

Rumours are the iPhone XZ is being marketed with a new game called ‘snake’ that’s coming out next year too....

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Take it as  wind up post if you wish, however I’m just trying to warn people who like me thought the XR would be a good cheaper option for the latest iPhone.

The screen is a big deal imo and a phone that isn’t 1080p and has the same pixel density as a 2014 iPhone 6, at the price they are marketing at is something that has meant I won’t be upgrading to Apple this year.

Rumours are the iPhone XZ is being marketed with a new game called ‘snake’ that’s coming out next year too....

Maybe the screen isn't upgraded, but the processing power and general cleverness is light years ahead.

What real difference does a few pixels make on such a small screen?