Apple

Day

As you say, it's the cheaper option so it's not going to have all the bells and whistles that the XS has. It has the same PPI as last years iPhone 8, 326. The upside of having an older display though is a longer battery life, it's also a slightly bigger screen than the standard XS.

Depends what you want out a phone I guess, for some the 1080 videos won't matter, others it will, £250 cheaper though for those it ticks all the boxes.

9 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Maybe the screen isn't upgraded, but the processing power and general cleverness is light years ahead.

What real difference does a few pixels make on such a small screen?

So what you are saying is that  it launches apps quicker which is noticeable yet the screen being years old tech isn’t and doesn’t matter. I would saybthe screen is every bit as important, and at 750 quid I would expect them to have quicker processing power, although light years ahead....really ?

9 hours ago, David said:

As you say, it's the cheaper option so it's not going to have all the bells and whistles that the XS has. It has the same PPI as last years iPhone 8, 326. The upside of having an older display though is a longer battery life, it's also a slightly bigger screen than the standard XS.

Depends what you want out a phone I guess, for some the 1080 videos won't matter, others it will, £250 cheaper though for those it ticks all the boxes.

Comparing it to the iPhone X, it probably looks a good price, however it also has an inferior camera, and as I said a screen that is comparable to a model from 2014. 

I use my phone for watching TV, Facebook, this forum and checking my bank balance, oh and thanking pictures, therefore I’m not sure what the additional processing power does for me?

I have an iPhone and will continue to do so, however I think 750 for a phone that uses out of date technology is overpriced, regardless of battery life and processing power, probably won’t affect the sales though.

15 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Comparing it to the iPhone X, it probably looks a good price, however it also has an inferior camera, and as I said a screen that is comparable to a model from 2014. 

I use my phone for watching TV, Facebook, this forum and checking my bank balance, oh and thanking pictures, therefore I’m not sure what the additional processing power does for me?

I have an iPhone and will continue to do so, however I think 750 for a phone that uses out of date technology is overpriced, regardless of battery life and processing power, probably won’t affect the sales though.

I’m not seeing your point. If you don’t like the screen on the xr, get the xs, if you don’t care so much about the resolution, get the xr. If the xs is too expensive, by a huawei, and enjoy your android life. Different strokes for different folks. 

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m not seeing your point. If you don’t like the screen on the xr, get the xs, if you don’t care so much about the resolution, get the xr. If the xs is too expensive, by a huawei, and enjoy your android life. Different strokes for different folks. 

I didn’t rate the football under GR, I still went to watch..,.obviously my bad, I thought it was a thread to discuss Apple. 

On the XR screen thing, I've just been reading that anything over 326PPI is a waste of time anyway, as this is the threshold that anyone with 20/20 vision can distinguish individual pixels - why Apple coined the term "Retina" for their 326PPI displays.

Having a screen with a larger PPI is OK for brand bragging rights but apparently you'll never tell the difference in practice.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

On the XR screen thing, I've just been reading that anything over 326PPI is a waste of time anyway, as this is the threshold that anyone with 20/20 vision can distinguish individual pixels - why Apple coined the term "Retina" for their 326PPI displays.

Having a screen with a larger PPI is OK for brand bragging rights but apparently you'll never tell the difference in practice.

Getting to that point now with TV as well, the jump from SD to HD was huge, night and day but HD to 4K isn't that big, the distance you sit from a TV are you going to notice from 4k to 8k? 

As you say it's mostly about bragging rights now, Apple with their fastest ever phones, where unless you have a stopwatch out to compare the ms it takes to open an app on the XS compared to the X you won't even notice. 

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

The below gives a good write up on the XR, however I’m sure people will say it very much depends on the user as to their opinion, which is true.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/10/23/18011306/apple-iphone-xr-review-camera-screen-battery-price

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

20/20 vision is completely irrelevant in this instance, because it defines the clarity of your vision at 20 feet. Just how long are your arms?

12 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

The below gives a good write up on the XR, however I’m sure people will say it very much depends on the user as to their opinion, which is true.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/10/23/18011306/apple-iphone-xr-review-camera-screen-battery-price

Thanks for that. As the article sets out, like many, I'm considering upgrading from a 6S+ and the XR is the obvious choice if I don't want to shell out a grand. Which I don't.

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

20/20 vision is completely irrelevant in this instance, because it defines the clarity of your vision at 20 feet. Just how long are your arms?

The 326 PPI & individual pixel thing is based on somebody with 20/20 vision looking at the phone at a distance of 10 inches (250mm).

9 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The 326 PPI & individual pixel thing is based on somebody with 20/20 vision looking at the phone at a distance of 10 inches (250mm).

You can have 20/20 vision and be either near-sighted or far-sighted.

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

If one wanted to be stictly accurate/pedantic, you're correct. Common usage of the term, however, means "normal vision", where no (further) correction is required.

11 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

If one wanted to be stictly accurate/pedantic, you're correct. Common usage of the term, however, means "normal vision", where no (further) correction is required.

Why yes, I do want to be strictly accurate. There is no reason at all why people who suffer from even myopia should not benefit. After all, that's what spectacles are for. Saying that, my phone (S9) refuses to recognise my irises because I wear specs, so that might be a limiting factor with the XR.

43 minutes ago, eddie said:

35 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

To be proper pedantic, in the UK we use 6/6, which is the metric version.  We use the Snellen chart, originated in Holland.