Nigel Clough Sacking

8 hours ago, I Am Sheep said:

Remember this? It was while NC was in charge, not SM :)

The bloke behind me in East Stand would say there were far too many sideways and backward passes - "get it forward man, get it forward"

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, I Am Sheep said:

Remember this? It was while NC was in charge, not SM :)

Great goal. Cynically excluded from the end of season goal of the season shortlist.

18 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

I don't think it would take 4 years to sort this team out. We've finished in the top half of the league.

Huddersfield, Reading, Fulham and Leeds have all shown you can transform an average squad into a competitive squad quite quickly.

Even Brighton went from bottom half one season to just missing out on automatic promotion in the next season.

Isn't the 'I want it now' mentality just part of being a football 'fan'? It certainly isn't just Derby fans.

The league position is just one factor. Would Huddersfield, Reading etc have managed to turn things around with under-performing players locked in on huge contracts such as Derby had during the Daves/Jewell era? That's the point I am getting at, and that's the position we would in all likelihood find ourself in once again if Mel Morris walked out tomorrow.

We are in an exceedingly fortunate position at the moment - we have been able to make the same mistakes all over again without the same consequences, and that's why I agree with you that it shouldn't take 4 years this time. The Amigos saddled the club with a huge amount of debt which was partly alleviated by the LoG, and their input funded the purchase of the likes of Earnshaw, Miller and Claude Bloody Davis - and of course Blobby Salvage. The hard job isn't buying new players you want - it's selling the ones you don't want.

It's only because Mel is here and prepared to sign the cheques that we can 'afford' to be as extravagant as we have been. He's gifted the money, not saddled the club with debt, so if he walked tomorrow, we would 'only' need to be concerned with alleviating the future drain on resources (i.e. expensive existing contracts). We are indeed fortunate that Gary Rowett can operate in the same way as Nigel Clough did - but would the fans under those circumstances be as patient as we were from 2009 until McClaren replaced him?

Not a chance.

20 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Who bloody cares about  Clough. 

Read bits of this thread,liked a few posts and know it's going to be topical as a recent event, but got to say, who bloody cares about Sam.

19 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I spoke to one of the players about this, in quite some depth. Next time I see him I'll ask if I can have his permission to name him. I think you all know that I've still got some ties. Not saying I'm ITK but I still somehow get to talk to a few people inside football because of my teenage/early adult life.

He told me that the entire squad was buzzing during those last few weeks of NC's time, he told me the stuff they were producing in training was absolutely sensational and that there were times when they'd literally stop and clap one of the moves they'd just put together. He told me they were playing with a huge smile on their faces and that it was only a matter of time before it all clicked into place and in his words "There's going to be teams in this league that won't know what's hit them this season"

The management team were quietly confident. NC is never going to be the type to shout from the rooftops about he thinks things are going, it's probably one part of him I'd like to see change. I wish he had more of his dads brashness here.

What I've written above changes nothing. I'm sure quite a few of you will dismiss it just because it's coming from me and you'll think I'm posting out of loyalty to NC. The truth is I don't care anymore. I might still think it was a bad decision to let him go but I also can agree it was a good decision to bring in Mac, based purely on his results and style of play.

That's why I'm still just a touch disappointed. It was the money men who decided NC's time was up. Sam Rush may not even have been NC's biggest critic/internal enemy either. I believe that might have been Mel (but I'm not criticising him or stating that as fact) It was the money men who decided AND Sam Rush.

If I never trusted Sam's knowledge of football, how could I agree with the sacking? I personally will always believe that the "football men" could see we were close, a tweak or two away from really cracking it and I believe Sam Rush missed that, couldn't or didn't want to see it.

I wrote earlier in the week that the episode is over from my side. I'm not angry anymore. I'm very happy with where Nigel is a and with what he's achieving at Burton. They're a nice club to follow and I already did for ten years first time around. So I'm happy.

Derby have undoubtedly moved on, had a couple of successful seasons and been really unlucky not to have got promotion to the Premier league. I firmly believe and hope that with Rowett in charge of ALL THINGS FOOTBALL and with Mel's undoubted brilliant backing financially that you'll all get your wish and you'll go up next year playing brilliant stuff along the way.

I don't want to argue with anyone anymore about NC but I will always post explanations/opinions/rebuttals when I see him getting a bit of in-necessary stick.

I think the sacking of Clough could of been very similar to the situation Rowett found himself in at brum.

Money men come in and the managers are not "fasionable" enough so they get replaced with named managers so to speak.

Us - Mac

Brum - Zola.

Didn't end well for both as it turns out.

The Nigel Clough thing has been done to death.

I'm with Mostyn in that Nigel will mostly get you mid table - good when thats a positive, poor when you have higher ambitions.

It was done in a very harsh way, and I do believe we'd have gone on to a good season still if Nigel had stayed, but I could understand it.

Personally I always believed it was the home game before against Reading that cost Nigel - the owners had all come over and we were toothless and lost three nil in front of them.

39 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I think the sacking of Clough could of been very similar to the situation Rowett found himself in at brum.

Money men come in and the managers are not "fasionable" enough so they get replaced with named managers so to speak.

Us - Mac

Brum - Zola.

Didn't end well for both as it turns out.

Except NC was sacked before the "money men" took over. GSE were still overseeing us and Mel didn't even have any shares in the club at that point.

32 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Be nice to see Nigel unearth a couple of gems from the Scottish league.

I think there's a fair few Hibs players out of contract at the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

Ah, blogtalkradio, referring to something said when Martin was 'injured'. Looks like it's porridge for Sam then.

Well, everything is unproven and speculation at this point.

I wouldn't count on Mr. Barraclough and Mr. Mackey getting their hands on him just yet.

38 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I wouldn't count on Mr. Barraclough and Mr. Mackey getting their hands on him just yet.

mkay.thumb.jpeg.6a890725ec783dd73dfc5f3fcd439eeb.jpeg

4 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

cant be bothered to read through pages of NC debates, any new news/rumours about Rush exit? (rexit?)

Yep. He's frocked up and gained a deep tan. Calls himself Diane from Jamaica and is taking Mel to tribunal claiming loads of compo citing racism and sexism.

Any rumours that he once had a fling with jeremy Corbyn are entirely coincidental.

#toddywishedhehadthesefacts 

:lol:

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Ih wouldn't count on Mr. Barraclough and Mr. Mackey getting their hands on him just yet.

Why are you bringing me into it :(

Archived