Nigel Clough Sacking

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

He did sign Dave Martin though... 

That the other thing. People compare his excellent signings to recent managers. How many players did all these managers sign. Nigel must have got through the best part of 50 players? 

He did well to leave us the team that he left. That's it. Can't people say cheers and move on?

1 hour ago, clarkeram7 said:

Have a day off.. the football under Clough was dire! I've never been so frustrated watching us, his tactics, substitutions, and even his interviews. Best move we ever made, fantastic what he's done for Burton this year but that just proves to me even more so that's his level. 

I take it by that you havent been down this season?

clarkeram7
23 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I take it by that you havent been down this season?

I've been to almost every game ? and yes it's still better. That's how bad it was.. we we're going no where with that clown.

2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

He did sign Dave Martin though... 

51 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

u must have missed the 489 page wardrobe watch/countdown til he returns thread 

Dave not Chris ;)

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

That the other thing. People compare his excellent signings to recent managers. How many players did all these managers sign. Nigel must have got through the best part of 50 players? 

He did well to leave us the team that he left. That's it. Can't people say cheers and move on?

Assuming you've researched the 50 players,I've no doubt it includes loanees,where the quality would have been restricted by wages available.Then we move on to the lower leagues and even non league,where you know you're going to be taking gambles (if this weren't the case,then everyone would be at it,rather than spending heavily on known quality).On the occasions that Nigel was allowed to spend around £1m ,he got Barker,Shackell,Keogh and Sammon,so that's not a bad success rate,on a fraction of the fees that have been spent in recent years.

I could start counting the big money signings since Nigel left,as I'm sure it would be quite a surprise.You shouldn't exactly expect a shed load of player turnover when you're spending the amounts we have in recent years.To put it another way,Nigel managed to assemble that starting 13/14 squad on a net spend of 1 Vydra (or less).

18 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not really but you must have missed that @Mr Tibbs said Dave Martin

I did miss it, 

when bargain basement shopping your gonna get some wrong but clough got more right than wrong, certainly had the best hit to miss rate compared to any since

The players we probably will keep going into next season will more than likely still inude many of his signings 

what i will say is he was tactially dull

To me, Clough did a good job, and in most ways he fulfilled his job remit. He stabilised us in the Championship, balanced the books, signed players that have served us well to this day (Martin, Bryson, Russell, etc) and brought through the likes of Hughes and Hendrick.

However, as much as I thought it was very harsh at the time, I still believe sacking Clough was the correct thing to do, as McClaren instantly took us to another level and got us playing the best football I've ever seen as a Derby fan. It could be argued that McClaren cementing us as a promotion-challenging team encouraged Mel's investment which, although it may not have benefitted us on the pitch just yet, has given us strong foundations for the future and will ensure we're better prepared if we ever do go up.

In my opinion, things started to go downhill when McClaren left, Clement arrived and we spent big money on players we didn't necessarily need. That was where we started stagnating, and that's led us to the point at which we're saying we're in exactly the same place as we were under Clough. I would say that we did improve after we sacked Clough (under McClaren) but we declined under Clement and Pearson. Hopefully Rowett can pick up the pieces.

I must admit, seeing Clough do so well at Burton does wind me up a little bit, purely from a biased, bitter Derby fan's perspective. We should have kicked on but now we're facing his underdog side who have spent virtually nothing once again, after losing four points to them this season. I didn't think his dig about us trying to "buy success" when we played them at their place was necessary, but I suppose I can see how he would feel a little aggrieved after getting the sack as soon as Rush came in.

@ronnieronalde we may have differing opinions on whether Clough should have gone, but I hope you can see that the majority of fans aren't completely deluded on the subject of Clough as DEL is. I think most of us thank him for the job he did, whilst thinking that his time was probably coming to an end with the lack of a promotion push and the dwindling attendances, especially when contrasted with the buzz that McClaren brought as soon as he came in. He's done a fantastic job at Burton and I can see them staying around in the Championship for a while. Good luck for next season.

11 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

To me, Clough did a good job, and in most ways he fulfilled his job remit. He stabilised us in the Championship, balanced the books, signed players that have served us well to this day (Martin, Bryson, Russell, etc) and brought through the likes of Hughes and Hendrick.

However, as much as I thought it was very harsh at the time, I still believe sacking Clough was the correct thing to do, as McClaren instantly took us to another level and got us playing the best football I've ever seen as a Derby fan. It could be argued that McClaren cementing us as a promotion-challenging team encouraged Mel's investment which, although it may not have benefitted us on the pitch just yet, has given us strong foundations for the future and will ensure we're better prepared if we ever do go up.

In my opinion, things started to go downhill when McClaren left, Clement arrived and we spent big money on players we didn't necessarily need. That was where we started stagnating, and that's led us to the point at which we're saying we're in exactly the same place as we were under Clough. I would say that we did improve after we sacked Clough (under McClaren) but we declined under Clement and Pearson. Hopefully Rowett can pick up the pieces.

I must admit, seeing Clough do so well at Burton does wind me up a little bit, purely from a biased, bitter Derby fan's perspective. We should have kicked on but now we're facing his underdog side who have spent virtually nothing once again, after losing four points to them this season. I didn't think his dig about us trying to "buy success" when we played them at their place was necessary, but I suppose I can see how he would feel a little aggrieved after getting the sack as soon as Rush came in.

@ronnieronalde we may have differing opinions on whether Clough should have gone, but I hope you can see that the majority of fans aren't completely deluded on the subject of Clough as DEL is. I think most of us thank him for the job he did, whilst thinking that his time was probably coming to an end with the lack of a promotion push and the dwindling attendances, especially when contrasted with the buzz that McClaren brought as soon as he came in. He's done a fantastic job at Burton and I can see them staying around in the Championship for a while. Good luck for next season.

I would go with that.

the only thing that annoys me, and we'll never know is that id love to have seen clough given the license to spend moneythat clement had and not be restricted to baragain basement shopping.

we'll never know.

what does baffle me is that people pigeon hole clough seeing what hes pulled off at burton and did with us as being his level.

but what made clement be qualified to be a "higher level" manager and therefore be trusted with a stack of cash

Anyway who knows, who cares its all academic now

in gaz raz we trust 

Sith Happens
On 05/05/2017 at 01:40, CumbrianRam said:

NC was sacked because results were stagnating and gates were close to 20k simple as.

Where they stagnating though? Other then one season we moved forward every year league position. Gates also werent that bad, over 26k average usually, only in the last season did they drop to 23k average but that was still the 3rd best in the league.

Even in the play off season we only averaged 24k or so. It was only after that the glory hunters came back.

The thing is i dont recall booing or discontent at games in the same way that happens now. Thats what happens when you get your entitled fans coming along.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Where they stagnating though? Other then one season we moved forward every year league position. Gates also werent that bad, over 26k average usually, only in the last season did they drop to 23k average but that was still the 3rd best in the league.

Even in the play off season we only averaged 24k or so. It was only after that the glory hunters came back.

The thing is i dont recall booing or discontent at games in the same way that happens now. Thats what happens when you get your entitled fans coming along.

Thing was a lot of fans were leaving at half time rather than staying until the 80th minute back then

Archived