Nigel Clough Sacking

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

I think the sacking of Clough could of been very similar to the situation Rowett found himself in at brum.

Money men come in and the managers are not "fasionable" enough so they get replaced with named managers so to speak.

Us - Mac

Brum - Zola.

Didn't end well for both as it turns out.

Except it wasn't similar . You've forgotten how dire the football had become and many fans were happy he had gone .

You are just rewriting history to suit yourself.

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Except it wasn't similar . You've forgotten how dire the football had become and many fans were happy he had gone .

The football wasn't dire at all. It's a rhetoric that's made from those that, in al likelihood, had already stopped going by this point. 

McClaren's changes were literally as simple as changing shape, improving is at defensive set-pieces and being more willing to go for it. 

7 hours ago, cannable said:

The football wasn't dire at all. It's a rhetoric that's made from those that, in al likelihood, had already stopped going by this point. 

McClaren's changes were literally as simple as changing shape, improving is at defensive set-pieces and being more willing to go for it. 

If they were so simple, why didn't Clough do them and save the club from 4 years of drivel?

7 hours ago, DRBee said:

Why am i rewriting to suit myself. Read what is written before making those kind of remarks.

I said "could" have been, not WAS the reason!

7 hours ago, cannable said:

Come on it was very dire... I pretty much attended every game home and away under Clough and bar a couple it was boring..

8 hours ago, DRBee said:

If you think football under Clough was dire, wait till Gaz has to grind out a few results. If going on the quality he served up at Burton is anything to go by, it will be 'Come back Nigel please, all is forgiven'!

And believe me that is no exaggeration! 

34 minutes ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

If you think football under Clough was dire, wait till Gaz has to grind out a few results. If going on the quality he served up at Burton is anything to go by, it will be 'Come back Nigel please, all is forgiven'!

Some people think they are entitled to decent results. You, on the other hand, think that you are entitled to pretty football.

And believe me, that is no exaggeration either.

40 minutes ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

After the last few seasons I for one will settle for results over 'pretty' football.

1 hour ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

Yeah because the "quality" football worked a treat didn't it.

Give me results and promotion any day.

Billy Davis's football wasn't great but it worked and got us promoted.

Mac's pretty football didn't.

On 4 May 2017 at 23:04, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

The truth is ronnieronaldo had Sam Rush right from the start and so did I. 

But it's killing our fans to admit this. 

You were wrong about Cloughs sacking and you were wrong about Rush.

Will anyone admit I'm right? 

No

Ok. 

This topic has been split from the Sam Rush thread, it wasn't started by @CLOUGH1971-72, tried to give it an appropriate title.

Usually this would be in Football Talk but this one can stay in Rams Talk as it's kind of a hybrid of Sam/Clough.

Enjoy.

10 hours ago, cannable said:

A tactical overhaul then, not simple at all.

10 hours ago, cannable said:

Got to disagree I am afraid.

The football was good for very limited periods.

I actually enjoyed the first few seasons for what it was, a rebuild with low cost signings but by the end of his reign I was bored on Saturdays. I was leaving matches early, pretty much stopped going going away matches and on the whole had no hope that we would be getting promoted.

I think back to NCs reign and try and think of home matches that stick in my mind for excitement. Other than the Forest and Leeds matches, I'm pretty much limited to Crystal Palace (I think) and Man United in the cup. Beyond that I could not name anoyher game that sticks in the memory. Yet I could quite easily reel of loads of games from the Cox, Smith, Burley and Mac periods.

On 5.5.2017 at 02:40, CumbrianRam said:

NC was sacked because results were stagnating and gates were close to 20k simple as.

Also Rush had somehow managed to get the Americans to loosen their purse strings. He didnt feel that Clough was the man to be given the money to spend. Americans backed Rush all the way. McClaren was allowed to spend pretty big (compared to what Clough was given) and the loan fees he spent were pretty substantial.

19 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Also Rush had somehow managed to get the Americans to loosen their purse strings. He didnt feel that Clough was the man to be given the money to spend. Americans backed Rush all the way. McClaren was allowed to spend pretty big (compared to what Clough was given) and the loan fees he spent were pretty substantial.

Until Clough is at a club where he can spend money, we will never know how good he might be. As a spotter of talent, he is pretty good.

15 minutes ago, eddie said:

Until Clough is at a club where he can spend money, we will never know how good he might be. As a spotter of talent, he is pretty good.

Yep, same could be said for GR tbh, didn't have much at Burton or Brum

Looking forward to seeing what he can do with a bit more in the kitty.

Not expecting miracles early on as he will need to shift a few out. 

5 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

If they were so simple, why didn't Clough do them and save the club from 4 years of drivel?

What? Because we didn't have Martin, Bryson, Hughes and Russell when it was the formation that was killing us…

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Come on it was very dire... I pretty much attended every game home and away under Clough and bar a couple it was boring..

At the start of 13/14 we were blowing teams away on our travels and we were controlling the games at home.

For some reason we persisted with that stupid diamond which made it easy for teams to defend deep against us and without a proper DM we were being slaughtered on the break. 

Archived