Nigel Clough Sacking

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

We need our own version of Godwin's law, every thread will eventually end in Nigel.

God's son's Law

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

I wouldn't say that. Nigel Clough never had us anywhere near the top 6 after Christmas, it wasn't until the Brentford game that we gave up on that this season.

His best finish was 10th and I think we jumped up a few places by beating someone's reserves on the final game of the season.

When was the last time NC took the club backwards in terms of finishing position?

2 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

When was the last time NC took the club backwards in terms of finishing position?

Sheffield United finished 5th in 12/13, Nigel arrived in October 13, finished 7th that season.

His first full season at Derby finished 14th, the following season 19th.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Sheffield United finished 5th in 12/13, Nigel arrived in October 13, finished 7th that season.

I'm not sure you can really put the Sheff Utd one in there David but fair enough if you think it's relevant/fair then fair enough. He took over when they were second bottom by the way.

I am well aware of the 1 season he went backwards at Derby, same as I'm aware of the one season he went backwards at Burton.

I'm aware of it cos it's only happened twice in 16 seasons.

I'll keep reminding people of that when they STILL can't give a touch of credit to a decent manager and when they STILL cling to the fact NC is a "useless clown".

Only my opinion and no doubt they won't care but those posters have zero credibility in my eyes.

11 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

No idea. When did NC get us anywhere near promotion? (That's Derby - not any other club)

Jim Smith - 1 season

Billy Davies - 1 season

George Burley - 2 seasons to get play offs

McClaren - 1 season to get play offs.

Clough - 5 seasons for 10th

I wasn't paying close attention to Derby in any of the Smith/Davies/Burley years, fair play to them for getting things done quickly.

McClaren - (did it in half a season by the way) did it with someone else's team/squad.

What was the starting position for both managers? What state was the morale/squad of the club in when NC took over v's when Steve took over?

How long did McClaren have to spend clearing up NC's mess, cutting his wage bill or trying to shift deadwood on high wages?

How much did McClaren have to cut the wage bill by? How much did McClaren have to worry about balancing the books in's v outs?

19 minutes ago, David said:

Very disingenuous David.

54 minutes ago, eddie said:

We're in the same bloody position as we were, except we've spent £50 million of Mel's cash.

If that's progress, I'd hate to try to define failure.

I could see progress before meddling ruined it. You yourself loved the SMc first year and saw plenty of progress.

1 minute ago, sage said:

Very disingenuous David.

To be fair to myself, I didn't check league position when he arrived and I haven't followed him that closely since leaving. Only reason I included it was October still gave him a hefty chunk of the season left, had he arrived in January like Derby wouldn't have included it.

Please forgive me.

Just now, David said:

To be fair to myself, I didn't check league position when he arrived and I haven't followed him that closely since leaving. Only reason I included it was October still gave him a hefty chunk of the season left, had he arrived in January like Derby wouldn't have included it.

Please forgive me.

They were 2nd bottom when he arrived and they showed top 4 form to get to 7th.I will forgive you if you post a picture of your dog.

7 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I wasn't paying close attention to Derby in any of the Smith/Davies/Burley years, fair play to them for getting things done quickly.

McClaren - (did it in half a season by the way) did it with someone else's team/squad.

What was the starting position for both managers? What state was the morale/squad of the club in when NC took over v's when Steve took over?

How long did McClaren have to spend clearing up NC's mess, cutting his wage bill or trying to shift deadwood on high wages?

How much did McClaren have to cut the wage bill by? How much did McClaren have to worry about balancing the books in's v outs?

See my reply to sage just now, wasn't intentional!

6 hours ago, rynny said:

Nigel has done a fantastic job at Burton, keeping them up. His target here would have been promotion, how does keeping Burton up transpire into thinking he would have got us promoted?

I fail to see what he has done in this league that suggests that he would have got us promoted at any point in the last 4 seasons.

did i mention anything about him getting us promotion ? i just said he is in the shake up for manager of the year

2 minutes ago, barnsley ram said:

did i mention anything about him getting us promotion ? i just said he is in the shake up for manager of the year

I wasn't the only person that replied the same thing. That was maybe due to the post you were replying to. If it was a stand alone post, not in reply to someone then I wouldn't have replied to your post.

The second paragraph was just a general observation as I have seen a few posts commenting  Clough would've took us up if we hadn't sacked him.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

I wasn't the only person that replied the same thing. That was maybe due to the post you were replying to. If it was a stand alone post, not in reply to someone then I wouldn't have replied to your post.

The second paragraph was just a general observation as I have seen a few posts commenting  Clough would've took us up if we hadn't sacked him.

that will make you right then

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

I could see progress before meddling ruined it. You yourself loved the SMc first year and saw plenty of progress.

I did - and we have gone so far backwards that if Mel walked out tomorrow, we would need Clough to sort it out again, and it would take the same 4 years.

Clough had to re-build the club without breaking the bank - in such circumstances, to stand still would have been an achievement, let alone to finish higher in the table.

Of the players signed since Clough went, one has been a significant improvement on what we had - Tom Ince. A couple more have improved a little, and the rest have been much of a muchness. All at the cost of a paltry £40 million.

I hate the 'I want it now' mentality of much of our fan base, and the older I get, the more I hate it.

5 years is a long time in any decade, not just this modern one. It wasn't a case of "I want it now" with NC like it probably has been these past 2/3 years. To be seen to be taking a team backwards by the end of it is a sackable offence IMO, you can't really dress it up any other way. Not only that, he bored the absolute tits off a lot of fans with his distinct lack of ambition. 

Decent manager but we needed better, we've had better and have come pretty close. Hopefully we can cross that finish line in the coming years. 

Archived