Nigel Clough Sacking

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Nigel has done a fantastic job at Burton, keeping them up. His target here would have been promotion, how does keeping Burton up transpire into thinking he would have got us promoted?

I fail to see what he has done in this league that suggests that he would have got us promoted at any point in the last 4 seasons.

Its horses for courses ......

GR has a very different challenge. He has to re-cast the squad this summer (i think he's already started) to achieve promotion - ideally top two (as the play-offs is a ****** lottery as we know) and THEN sink his claws into the Prem to stay up.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Some may argue that keeping us within FFP limits whilst allowing over £40m expenditure on the team is another achievement. 

Personally, I'm not all of a sudden going to re-write history and say everything he has done here has been bad.

But on the flip side he has overseen what some would see as a huge waste of resources over the last 4 years and not improved our league position in the process. Whether that is his, or our managers failure is a completely different argument! 

The two sides to that 'equation' are key to understanding Sam Rush's tenure.

He has increased revenues significantly to allow for a huge spend on the footballing staff. On the side he has been a huge success.

The problem is that all his good work in raising that £40m+ is worth very little to the club because we're no further forward on the pitch and in the league table.

The important question is how that money has been wasted. If it is down to the managers and the recruitment staff merely bringing in the wrong players, or just that we've had too many regime changes leading to an incoherent acquisition policy, then the problem may have little to do with Rush - although it could also be that he's hired the wrong people. These things are frustrating for us (and Mel x 1000), but not sinister. 

What will condemn Rush to being considered in the same light as the Amigoes is if he's wasted Mel's millions deliberately to enrich himself or develop his own career. Now that would really make him a deeply unpleasant character. At present we don't know what has really happened, despite the club statement. I just hope we find out for sure. Personally, I always liked Sam Rush and will be highly disappointed if he does turn out to be the snake that is being hinted at.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

We need our own version of Godwin's law, every thread will eventually end in Nigel.

No every thread. I think it's more like Schrodinger's Law. You never know if it contain's NC until you open it.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

This is spot on... We were going nowhere..

The biggest issue was the attendance was dwindling..

Correct - and let's not forget that in the run up to his sacking the fans were completely polarised over whether to get rid of Nigel Clough or not. I seem to remember a DET poll that was around 50/50. That's a bad place for any club to be

Judging by this thread, that split hasn't gone away, and with all due respect we should definitely just get over it

Whilst I think it was wrong to sack Clough and I believe he would have incrementally improved the team with a great possibility of promotion, I don't get why people still keep going on and on about it.

The fact is its gone and we will never know what would have happened. All those saying he'd taken us as far as he could are wrong. All those saying he would have got us promoted are wrong. They are just opinions.
In the words of Steve Peters (sports psychiatrist) - "Can you change it ? - Yes, then change it - No, then just deal with it."

Let it go, you'll feel a lot better.

3 hours ago, Mikeyboy1963 said:

He left Derby County just 10 places and 14 points above Burton Albion, the 'turd that won't flush' from down the road and he let them take 4 points from Derby this season on an absolute fraction of the wage budget and transfer expenditure. With NC at the helm to rub it in. That's success is it? 

Burton Albion in football shocker. Views like this are embarrassing and extremely ignorant. 

walking-dinosaur-costume-jurassic-extrem

12 hours ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

The truth is ronnieronaldo had Sam Rush right from the start and so did I. 

But it's killing our fans to admit this. 

You were wrong about Cloughs sacking and you were wrong about Rush.

Will anyone admit I'm right? 

NO WE AREN'T WRONG REGARDING NIGEL THE CLUELESS CLOUGH SACKING. BEST THING EVER THAT DERBY COUNTY EVER DONE. ?

3 hours ago, TelTheRam said:

Whilst I think it was wrong to sack Clough and I believe he would have incrementally improved the team with a great possibility of promotion, I don't get why people still keep going on and on about it.

The fact is its gone and we will never know what would have happened. All those saying he'd taken us as far as he could are wrong. All those saying he would have got us promoted are wrong. They are just opinions.
In the words of Steve Peters (sports psychiatrist) - "Can you change it ? - Yes, then change it - No, then just deal with it."

Let it go, you'll feel a lot better.

But Lennie Peters (singer) says 'don't stay away too long', and is also always keen to welcome people home. Who do we believe. Steve or Lennie. Lennie or Steve? I bet this forum will be split 50/50.

55 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

NO WE AREN'T WRONG REGARDING NIGEL THE CLUELESS CLOUGH SACKING. BEST THING EVER THAT DERBY COUNTY EVER DONE. ?

Think these guys would disagree that with the best thing ever done at Derby

Rams-Cup.25.jpg

clough-taylor-champions129-255113_478x35

derby-1974-75-700x399.jpg

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Think these guys would disagree that with the best thing ever done at Derby

Rams-Cup.25.jpg

clough-taylor-champions129-255113_478x35

derby-1974-75-700x399.jpg

That's Brian Clough proper legend. I'm talking about CLUELESS NIGEL CLOUGH SACKING BIT WAS THE BEST THING EVER. ?

1 minute ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

That's Brian Clough proper legend. I'm talking about CLUELESS NIGEL CLOUGH SACKING BIT WAS THE BEST THING EVER. ?

You started drinking early today, DEL?!

Just now, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

But sacking Nigel surely pales in comparison of winning the fa cup and winning the league, twice, as the best thing we have ever done.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Clough's sacking was the best thing to happen for years. Get over it.

We're in the same bloody position as we were, except we've spent £50 million of Mel's cash.

If that's progress, I'd hate to try to define failure.

Archived