Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Millenniumram said:

Indeed, yet since he was sacked they've won what, twice? Not all sackings are because the manager is poor, sometimes the owner cocks up too

Exactly, too many pedantic users on here. The point I was suggesting was that many on here believe McClaren is this and that but he has been sacked pretty much every where and his recent managerial spells, apart from Derby,have been disasters

31 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Exactly, too many pedantic users on here. The point I was suggesting was that many on here believe McClaren is this and that but he has been sacked pretty much every where and his recent managerial spells, apart from Derby,have been disasters

The point I take issue with is that you said Rowett is a better manager than McClaren and I asked based on what. 

You're basing it on sackings it seems. 

Ranieri has been sacked about 6 times I think they said after Leicester. Rafa Benitez is about the same.

Tony Pulis has been sacked twice maybe. 

Mac will get another job easily. He has a proven winning record of games better than most available managers.

Anyway, I will start to judge Rowett at the end of the summer. My first interest will be if he realises just how much cannon fodder we have and if he can persuade other teams to take them off outer hands.

Until then, this season is only good for showing him how bad (inconsistent a better word, but that relates to bad) our players are.

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

The point I take issue with is that you said Rowett is a better manager than McClaren and I asked based on what. 

You're basing it on sackings it seems. 

Ranieri has been sacked about 6 times I think they said after Leicester. Rafa Benitez is about the same.

Tony Pulis has been sacked twice maybe. 

Jose Mourinho has been sacked twice by the same club, once elsewhere.

It's impossible to say who is the better manager Mac/ rowett , all you can do is say which one is the right fit for Derby county at this time in your opinion , it's a gut feeling thing and mel feels it's rowett ,,, either one has a very tough job in front of them as they are tasked with getting promotion for a club that is geared for it , fully expects it and has an owner prepared to back financially to achieve it , so in short there is no hiding place for any manager of Derby now , clough in my view did a very good job with us but the goal posts have moved now and it's a much tougher job ,,, delivering when it's fully expected is a different task from overachieving when it's not expected for a manager and it takes a special something within a manager to succeed in those circumstances , my feeling is that Mac had perhaps become stale at Derby and maybe the blueprint he conveyed to Mel for the future did nt inspire him , with rowett I feel he has earnt the chance for a crack at the Derby job and would be my pick over Mac at this point  but in fairness I cannot say he is a better manager than Mac ,, it's a bit like our will , we are going on perceives potential to become a top player/manager ,,,,, 

13 hours ago, McLovin said:

McClaren has been sacked in his career lots more times than not. 

Think you need to check that again.

Boro left for England job

England sacked

Twente left for Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg sacked

Forest quit

Twente quit

Derby sacked

Newcastle sacked

Derby sacked

Sacked 5 times left by his choice 4 times.

And your point of his 2nd spell at Twente about everyone wanting him gone, the board of directors were begging him to stay, he was 1 or 2 points off 2nd place when he left (can't remember exactly but it was very tight at the top)

9 hours ago, angieram said:

Of course the less years that you have been managing the less times you're likely to have been sacked.

(Or should that be fewer?) ;)

Probably "fewer" for Rowett and "less" for McClaren using the usual differentiator of less being for uncountable quantities :-)

Surely achievements as a manager should be the only basis for judging how good he is.

Mac's record is so much better than GR, but GR has not been coaching at 1st team level as long as mac.

GR might turn out to be the best coach ever at Derby, time will tell.

I do like like what I hear when listening to GR and I think every Derby fan wants him to succeed,  why wouldn't they?

32 minutes ago, toddy said:

I do like like what I hear when listening to GR and I think every Derby fan wants him to succeed,  why wouldn't they?

The same reason some seem happy to say Mac was a failure?

I hope Gary can walk the walk! It should be an interesting summer. #COYR

Archived