Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

17 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Withe vydra certain to start when fit, wil we really have Nugent , Winnall, Martin and Jerome competing for one place? So three of them on the bench? I dont think so. 

I wasnt the one who signed another striker. In theory Martin will be competing with vydra for the slot behind the striker and yes we have 3 of them.... one won't be in the match squad.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Martin was desperately wanted back by Derby and Mac in particular because he was suited to out team and set up under that regime....Fulham also wanted him after being given him on a ridiculously generous loan by mentalist manager Pearson...

So Martin agrees to come back on a three year deal on good money.....good for him and Derby at the time.

Mel sacks our manager,brings in another one who plays completely different to Mac and surprise, surprise wants off load the striker who doesn't suit his system.

So who exactly is at fault here?

Mac for wanting his most prolific and lethal striker back in a side that suits him?

Martin for wanting to come back into the side that he loves and back to where his family lives and are happy...and get a good long term contract to boot?

Rowett for inheriting a player that doesn't fit well into his system?

Or Mel for sacking Mac after the Martin deal was completed?

Id suggest there is no blame to apportion here,it's just circumstances.

Some fantasists need to get s grip.

That’s about the long and short of it 

all that can be done is to try our best to find a club that will give Martin the game time and hope that a deal can be done that’s decent for Martin and decent for the club , hopefully this doesn’t drag on to the point where Martin gets seen as the total villain of the whole scenario by being on a big wage and preferring to take the money and not play rather than find a compromise to get game time

i for one want to remember  Martin as a good player for derby county in a team that were very good to watch but for varies reasons didn’t quite fulfil the promise it had in terms of promotion and being built on to establish itself in the prem 

1 hour ago, RamsFan10 said:

Can’t believe some of the criticism of Martin on here. Easily one of the best strikers we’ve had in recent years, probs the best since relegation from the prem.

Playing 4-3-3 and there’s few strikers in the league as good. He doesn’t fit our new style that requires pace up top. Simple as. I wish him all the best. 

If he goes to a club that uses him to his style then he’ll be nearing 10 goals by the end of the season 

Fully agree he has been a fantastic player for us, however definitely time to move on. To a certain degree I thinks its style of play, but I also think he isn't the player he was 3 years ago & on the decline. Not sure he has the goals & hunger in him anymore. We need his wages off the payroll to allow us to strengthen elsewhere.

16 hours ago, lioncoeur said:

It looks like Sam Winnall has a problematic personality after all, according to the Fans from the Owls Forum:

samwinnallpoo-01.jpg

I have no idea what that means or what it refers to or whether the poster has a Ninos/Martin style view of Winnall. Maybe Winnal kept him out of the school team. Who knows? It doesn't say anything of note, prove anything or refer to anything. Therefore it's meaningless.

All I can judge is Winnall's attitude on the pitch, which up until now has been great.

When you look when he has started in the league this season it is intriguing to see that he started against Sunderland away and wolves at home when he had Butterfield and Johnson in midfield which we know offers little help and no Vydra in reality and wolves wouldn’t give us the ball either, and he started against Burton at home and Barnsley away where we won in both games 1-0 and 3-0 apart from that he has been a regular substitute ranging about 3 mins to 45 mins on the pitch, I think he has been doing a very good job for us this season.

On Martin - I don’t see a bad attitude, he seems supportive, and it’s not his problem that he’s on the salary he’s on; obviously, but it bothers me anytime we’ve just thrown loads of money at any player who doesn’t feature.  I do think you can apportion some blame at Mcclaren for throwing so much contract money at what he perceived at a problem at the time (no Martin around for his 4-3-3) and ostensibly the business side a bit for allowing it. Rowett could have thrown £5m at Norwich for CJ but he didn’t; and he didn’t put him on a 3-5 year contract either. All his dealings have been very sensible even if he loves what the player brings. Not only does he inspire players, get tactics right, but he is protecting our financial well being. 

We need to be financially smart and where we do chuck money at stuff we need a big return on the pitch.  If Rowett can partly extricate us from the mess which was Butterfield, he can do the same here.

7 minutes ago, Ninos said:

On Martin - I don’t see a bad attitude, he seems supportive, and it’s not his problem that he’s on the salary he’s on; obviously, but it bothers me anytime we’ve just thrown loads of money at any player who doesn’t feature.  I do think you can apportion some blame at Mcclaren for throwing so much contract money at what he perceived at a problem at the time (no Martin around for his 4-3-3) and ostensibly the business side a bit for allowing it. Rowett could have thrown £5m at Norwich for CJ but he didn’t; and he didn’t put him on a 3-5 year contract either. All his dealings have been very sensible even if he loves what the player brings. Not only does he inspire players, get tactics right, but he is protecting our financial well being. 

We need to be financially smart and where we do chuck money at stuff we need a big return on the pitch.  If Rowett can partly extricate us from the mess which was Butterfield, he can do the same here.

I have read this post several times now and can't see anything negative about Chris Martin. Has this account been hacked? :D

14 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You really think that McClaren negotiated Martin's new contract?

Epic_Facepalm_by_RJTH25255B125255D5B15D.

23 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Glad you have found constructive criticism and can at least recognise the real problem 

14 minutes ago, DRBee said:

I have read this post several times now and can't see anything negative about Chris Martin. Has this account been hacked? :D

Leave him alone, he’all be back later ?

Rowett expects one or two of Bent, Martin and Anya to go out on loan or permanent transfer.

If I was Martin, I would sit it out until the end of the season at least.

Vydra's improvement along with Weimann, Russell and Johnson has more than made up the transfer value of the squad to counteract losing Anya, Shackell Butterfield and Bryson for peanuts.

How much more are our players worth than when Rowett got here.

A word on Blackman, he has proved that he has an excellent attitude in Israel, has become an Israeli citizen and won player of the month last month. He wants to play for Israel. Another victim of being played out of position in a relatively disorganized team?

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Rowett expects one or two of Bent, Martin and Anya to go out on loan or permanent transfer.

If I was Martin, I would sit it out until the end of the season at least.

Vydra's improvement along with Weimann, Russell and Johnson has more than made up the transfer value of the squad to counteract losing Anya, Shackell Butterfield and Bryson for peanuts.

How much more are our players worth than when Rowett got here.

A word on Blackman, he has proved that he has an excellent attitude in Israel, has become an Israeli citizen and won player of the month last month. He wants to play for Israel. Another victim of being played out of position in a relatively disorganized team?

Pleased for him,never given a fair crack and I think lost his way and confidence before being given an opportunity. Dont think many supporters helped going off some comments from this forum .Shouldnt have been signed for us but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

I'm interested to know  what our board of directors do with Rowett apparently running the club from top to bottom?

Jist to counter a few comments on my previous post. Regarding attitudes what has Martin done wrong by us? Came in on loan to prove he was worth a contract. Went out on loan when the club asked him to, agreed to come back when we wanted him to even though it didn't play out, and probably only made a fuss at Fulham because we asked him. Signed an extension with us whilst he qqqwas there and did nothing but display loyalty to us. This season whilst demoted to 3rd or 4th choice he keeps quiet and patient. Winnall has already started moaning about lack of games. I just think Martin is proven in that respect.

Also no way we've signed Jerome as less than rotation or impact sub. If not starting he will be first on.The reason it was £1.5m is the age.

I'm a huge Chris Martin fan. He just doesn't fit in with Rowett's style of football. Not his fault, it happens, Doesn't make him a bad player. Ibrahimovic wasn't a bad player at Barcelona. You just have to get the styles right.

I hope he goes to someone like Fulham. He's a much better player than Kamara or Rui Fonte playing that CF role.

The big issue though will be his wages. Again, he would have been instrumental under Mac, so you can't blame the club for paying him that much considering Mac was the manager at the time and wanted him back.

Considering his age, the next contract in his career will be the defining one. He's in, or approaching, what should be his peak years as a centre-forward and by the time his current deal (which runs until 2020) will be over he'll be 31 (32 the following Nov) and on the slide. You can't blame him if he wishes to stick around here, pick up the best deal he's probably ever going to get, and just go out on loan over the next two years. It would be the smart financial move for a player unlikely to ever play in the top-flight.

Word - 'Martinite'

Language -  English, noun

Meaning - someone who appreciates a player who has scored 65+ goals for his club and is therefore considered worthy of common respect 

Usage - Typically used by whiny know-alls, desperate to have a snide dig at a player they don't care for. 

Origins - First coined by someone inexplicably using by a moniker which translates as, 'young children'

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Word - 'Martinite'

Language -  English, noun

Meaning - someone who appreciates a player who has scored 65+ goals for his club and is therefore considered worthy of common respect 

Usage - Typically used by whiny know-alls, desperate to have a snide dig at a player they don't care for. 

Origins - First coined by someone inexplicably using by a moniker which translates as, 'young children'

I gave you a like 86P, and based on your definition l find myself to be a Martinite.

Just for the record l do enjoy most of Ninos posts. Not necessarily for the content. More because he (so easily) winds a small few up on here. He keeps reeling them in. It’s laughable really.

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I gave you a like 86P, and based on your definition l find myself to be a Martinite.

Just for the record l do enjoy most of Ninos posts. Not necessarily for the content. More because he (so easily) winds a small few up on here. He keeps reeling them in. It’s laughable really.

I've given up responding to them. It's like feeding Shrek. As for being amusing, well it was when it started 18 months back...

Archived