Rowett minimum expectations for 17/18

Day

Rowett Expections  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Even with this squad we should be able to make top 6. The players we have are good enough. If Thorne, Martin and Forsyth all return then that would be a massive bonus. Add 5 quality signings and no reason a comfortable top 6 finish cannot be achieved.

RB, CB, DM, AM and LW and we have a balanced squad that could play multiple formations as GR has alluded to to win a match.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7th-10th.

We're all expecting a pretty big turnaround of players so I wouldn't expect them all to gel immediately.  As long as we establish a way of playing, with some grit & pride I'd be happy.  Pretty much what I expected when Big Nige came in, so nothing to worry about there :ph34r:  I guess the big advantage GR has over him, is these next 9 games.  It gives him a lot more time to better assess the squad and weedle out the soft touches & snakes.  I get the feeling Big Nige didn't have enough time, panicked, and got whoever he could out and brought in players that weren't right, just for the sake of change...

50 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Be interesting to see if there's anything that might give us a clue in here..

The optimist 10 year old in me thinks that he'll make an appearance before season's end - just because he has his shirt printed :lol:

Come on who's got rams player and going to fill us in? 

1 hour ago, Saul Pimpson said:

I've gone for 7th to 10th as we're supposed to be stating our MINIMUM expectation.

Top 6 as a MINIMUM expectation for what looks like it is going to be a squad trimming summer is a bit over-demanding in my view..

This ^^

The second season however... :lol:

3 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Come on who's got rams player and going to fill us in? 

It's been hard watching from the sides not being able to help the lads out, all I can do is work hard with my recovery and get ready for pre season.

Looking forward to working with Rowett, did a great job at Burton and Birmingham, been really positive atmosphere since he's arrived, hopefully we can end the season on a high.

(I've not watched it yet though)

Given the facilities, investment and stature of the club the playoffs are a minimum. He has time to assess the squad and replace where necessary. Any failings will be firmly placed on his shoulders, Mel always backs his managers.

I will go for top 2 -only because I heard him say if he is successful here we will be in the Premiership.....

So a full season here is a very long time in managerial terms at Derby County , so if he has a full season  - top 2.

If we are miles away from looking like promotion candidates I expect the axe to fall again in September.:blink:

4 minutes ago, David said:

It's been hard watching from the sides not being able to help the lads out, all I can do is work hard with my recovery and get ready for pre season.

Looking forward to working with Rowett, did a great job at Burton and Birmingham, been really positive atmosphere since he's arrived, hopefully we can end the season on a high.

(I've not watched it yet though)

Haha thanks David. 

One of my pet hates is when a new manager goes into a club and they as the players about him. I haven't ever heard a player say 'shocking appointment, he's the totally opposite of what we need, I'm dreading working with him'. Pointless interviews if there ever was such a thing.  

5 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Haha thanks David. 

One of my pet hates is when a new manager goes into a club and they as the players about him. I haven't ever heard a player say 'shocking appointment, he's the totally opposite of what we need, I'm dreading working with him'. Pointless interviews if there ever was such a thing.  

Nope, they text the owner instead to get him the sack, seen it on the internet so must be true

Minimum Expectations ? 

1, rowett becoming the figure head at the club and the voice speaking for the playing side of the club with no more romours of player power and signs of a manager being undermined but rather fully trusted and backed from above,

2 rowett to carry on assessing games and where we are in the intelligent manner he has shown so fans will understand him and trust him too ,, no more cliches and old flannel ,

3 a summer and early season that looks like a starting point of a clear plan is being put in place and the us building towards it

4 an end in the main to the famine or feast Derby we have seen for a good while with some rhyme and reason to performances rather than the massive swings in performance levels we are all so totally confused by 

that's my minimum expectation and I'm hoping the by product of achieving those goals under rowett will bring a top 6 challenge but if it doesn't then I'm prepared to be patient and I'm hoping mel shows the same patience and lives up to the one constant he has put out there that it's not about time scales but about having the right man and building the right way to sustain any progress

I don't think playoffs are unrealistic as a minimum expectation in 2017/18. We largely have the same squad of players that have finished 2 of the last 3 seasons in the playoffs - its only the shocking start to this season that has prevented us finishing top 6 again.

Clearly Rowett has a lot of work to do but in fairness he has plenty of talent within the squad (albeit misdirected currently), a mini season of 9 pressure-free games to see the players at close quarters & then a summer to mould his squad with presumably some cash to spend - certainly a lot more than he had at Birmingham. Jim Smith, George Burley & Billy Davies were all able to dramatically change the team from one moribund season to a top 6 finish the following year so the precedent is there.

Like others have said though, I wouldn't want Rowett's position under any threat unless next season is an unmitigated disaster. Although finishing 7th/8th would be 'below expectations' in my eyes - context is all important. I.e. if we finish on 7th but get edged out on say 70 - 75 points, it isn't comparable to being 10 points adrift of 6th having never advanced beyond mid-table at any stage.

Top 10 for me, flirting with the play-offs.

He needs to be given the time to buy/sell players to build the squad he wants - the current lot have consistently under performed and shown a lack of character. 

It may need a couple out and a couple in or it may need more, but I'd give most managers 3 transfer windows (I used to say any manager 3 transfer windows until Pearson...) 

So top 10 for me, but with players that you can genuinely see are committed to the cause and putting in good performances building towards a serious promotion push the season after.

36 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Haha thanks David. 

To be fair, all player interviews are pointless. When has any of them, you know, ever said anything remotely surprising, like I say?

It all depends just how much he is able to have an influence on the current group of people. He said he's going to spend some time working out which players are able to achieve what he wants them to, and those who are unable will go. Quality wise, this squad of players should be able to make the top six comfortably. Mentally is a totally different issue. If Rowett can change the mentality and as he puts it, stop them turning up presuming their quality will win them the game alone, then there's no reason why top six shouldn't be achieved.

If he feels that a lot have to go then it is going to be slightly different. If we have say five new first team players on the first game of the 17/18 season then its unrealistic to expect them to hit the ground running, although it would be nice. If there aren't an awful lot of changes, you'd have to presume he's happy with the mentality of the squad. In which case, we should be able to get into the play-offs as a minimum, because that's what has been holding us back. The players are plenty good enough, their attitude in most cases is not.

Top 10, flirting with play offs. Need to get rid of a large group of the high earners from the current squad, and get some young hungry players in, whether that's from the academy or lower/foreign leagues. A transition like that won't be easy, but I think it's necessary. Hopefully the fans will give the new players time to bed in. Don't leave it too late in the summer and run out of ideas in the transfer market like Pearson and then upset everyone. Let Rowett implement his style all around the whole club, clear out any negativity. Build a team that can go on to challenge for the top 2 in 2018/19 season and who will then be able to hold their own in the Premier League as well 

Archived